Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

99 3.4 - M/T &4wd speed sensor picture

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2020, 12:44 PM

Received 100 Likes on 79 Posts
99 3.4 - M/T &4wd speed sensor picture

Howdy.
Can anyone with maybe a 1999 4runner, with 5 speed and manual 4WD post up a pic of their output shaft vehicle speed sensor?

I have a harness from such, plus the EWDs and the diags say there is a plug for the speed senor. Which there is not.
My ex says I could not find my butt with both hands and a flashlight, but I'm quite certain.

Got two plugs for O2, 4wd select indicator, and 4LO select indicator. Thats all that is on the harness. I am stumped.

A million thanks-in-Advance

Old 04-04-2020, 01:55 PM
Contributing Member

Received 477 Likes on 321 Posts
Coopster...I'm a little confused as to what you want a pic of. I do have a 99 m/t 4x 4Runner out in the driveway and am bored to pieces, will take any and all pics you would like.
Here's the plug I think you're looking for: yellow arrow for the plug and yellow arrow for the bolt that holds it in. Passenger side of the transfer case
99 3.4 - M/T &4wd speed sensor picture-bezdzdt.jpg

I wired a vss in my 96 from when I didn't have abs senders in the front and the speedo kept dropping out- it goes where that plug is.
but if you need different pics I'm not going anywhere fast.

Last edited by habanero; 04-04-2020 at 01:57 PM.
Old 04-04-2020, 05:30 PM

Hi Ms Hab!
Perfect timing. I was just thinking I thought someone had a 99 (was either you or Jamoka (?)/ Mr Hab) and should go thru build thread, certain there'd be photos of that.

I do have the tranny from the 99 (I bought the whole wrecked vehicle) and the xfer case has that exact same piece you "pointed" to. But no wire?! What was plugged into it?? That other wire there is O2 sensor, right?

Thanks a ton!
PS, hope you all are doing well. This is getting crazy.

Old 04-04-2020, 05:48 PM

And boom Right below this thread was a 'related post' from '14 I never saw before, and it had a link to a post that dntsdad had, but over on pirate.
That seems to clear it up; that is just a plug, there's no wires because the ABS does provide that signal. Which I agree with his conclusion on pirate,
that is indeed strange.

So I reckon I need to use an electronic combo/speed sensor, and wire up into the harness, where - ever it might be that the 2nd gen magnetic pickup wires go.
I do know for sake and ease of future searchers, that the mag pickup has in 2nd gen, 3 wires; 12V, signal, and common ground. But can't find where on IH1 or IH2 where they go thru, but I suppose any blank holes should be good 'nuf. Actually the "monch' had xcel spreadsheets from stickied thread, and those wires are very likely noted.
Old 04-04-2020, 07:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 477 Likes on 321 Posts
Yep, the '99 is Jomoka's (aka my adorable hubby- you'll have to trust me on this), and yes, the wire you can see does belong to the o2. The 3rd gen uses the abs sensors for the speedo is why we only have a plug instead of a sensor. I did wire my 96 with a vss and it was easy enough to do (as described in my build thread and has those particular wires, power and signal, pointed out) BUT IIRC the 99's cluster wiring is different so you'd have to figure out the corresponding wires. The other is a ground. IIRC the vss I used was out of a 97 Taco, the one I got the manual hubs off of.
EDIT: this is only a little relevant as it's for the speedo wiring on the '96- but the ground/signal/power wires on the plug may be useful...
if you need one there are multiple plugs like the one pictured below, I think I found this one in the engine compartment, passenger side.
Originally Posted by habanero
So the connector is wired up like so:

It's not the connector that came with the VSS, but it's 3 wire and clips in so all I needed was to wire it up.

Then find this plug on the right side of the output shaft. Unscrew the bolt and pry it out. Gear oil will come out and if you're me it will run along the skid plate and drip on your head, making you smell bad and face you with a future 3 shampoo shower.

And replace with the sensor. Mightymouse brought me just the right part, the gearing matches, it's the electronic and not the cable driven one with the shorter shaft than the cable drive version and it has 3 wires. Had to have come out of a possibly 96 or more likely 97+ Taco, or some non-abs Toyota truck maybe he'll chime in? Several years had them, this one fit just right gear and all.

route the goofy blue wire holder out of the way (zip tied to the same holder as the o2 sensor but otherwise not finished in this pic)
And there you go.
Post 1394-1396
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f200...1/index97.html

Last edited by habanero; 04-05-2020 at 11:13 AM. Reason: added more junk