Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

98 4runner wont start, alarm/starter issue, need help ASAP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 08:09 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 4runner wont start, alarm/starter issue, need help ASAP!

edit: problem solved, removed pos alarm.

someone please contact me, whoever has recently installed an alarm/starter.

my pos prestige alarm/starter is really screwed up and this morning when i go to start it, all i heard was clicking from under the dash and the car would not start.

since its over 50 here in boston, i decided to just take the pos alarm apart. i just ordered a commando alarm which i will install in a few weeks. so now, after unhooking the brain from all the harnesses, its still not starting and i think some of the wires from the ignition harness is not hooked up correctly.

does anyone know what the green/black wire from the ignition harness is for? i think thats the culprit and its split up. someone please call and advise, thanks.

Last edited by Amir904; 01-21-2006 at 12:31 PM.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:34 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Amir904
someone please call me. 518-265-9444, whoever has recently installed an alarm/starter.

my pos prestige alarm/starter is really screwed up and this morning when i go to start it, all i heard was clicking from under the dash and the car would not start.

since its over 50 here in boston, i decided to just take the pos alarm apart. i just ordered a commando alarm which i will install in a few weeks. so now, after unhooking the brain from all the harnesses, its still not starting and i think some of the wires from the ignition harness is not hooked up correctly.

does anyone know what the green/black wire from the ignition harness is for? i think thats the culprit and its split up. someone please call and advise, thanks.
Amir it might also be that your starter contacts are going.
Did you try jumping it and see if it starts (rule out a dying battery)?
Old 01-20-2006, 08:49 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
someone please call me. 518-265-9444, whoever has recently installed an alarm/starter.

amir,

like any alarm, there will be a bunch of wires from the alarm unit that will be attached/soldered to wires in the ignition bundle. what do you mean its "split up?" if you see wires soldered or tapped to the ignition harness AND you just want to remove the alarm, you can pull them all out and then the alarm will not recieve any power. or the easier and safer thing owuld be to pull every single fuse of the alarm system out. just follow the wires from the brain and you will find those inline fuses

bob
Old 01-20-2006, 10:38 AM
Contributing Member

jamie, starter contacts were replaced a couple months ago, battery is an optima, 3 months old, i tested it with volt meter, over 12V.

its a funny situation, when i got in, the alarm went off, then after disarming, everything died. there was absolutely NO power what so ever. it was acting like there is no battery hooked up. then after every 5 min or so, the power would come back, as soon as i put the key in the hole, and turn, no power!

one other thing, when im sitting inside, as soon as i open the door, the dome light comes on for approx 1 sec and then, bam! no power!

there was crazy clicking sound coming from the brain, i think the alarm has had it. so i took apart all the harnesses and taps into the factory harnesses. but it is stilll acting the same. its funny but there was no in-line fuse. im gona go back to the installer and see why.

bob, what i mean by split is, that there is a green/black wire coming out of the ignition bundle and instead of going to the harness its cut in the middle and both ends go into the brain at different input channels. i did hook that back up, but still no go.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:10 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
jamie, starter contacts were replaced a couple months ago, battery is an optima, 3 months old, i tested it with volt meter, over 12V.

its a funny situation, when i got in, the alarm went off, then after disarming, everything died. there was absolutely NO power what so ever. it was acting like there is no battery hooked up. then after every 5 min or so, the power would come back, as soon as i put the key in the hole, and turn, no power!

one other thing, when im sitting inside, as soon as i open the door, the dome light comes on for approx 1 sec and then, bam! no power!

there was crazy clicking sound coming from the brain, i think the alarm has had it. so i took apart all the harnesses and taps into the factory harnesses. but it is stilll acting the same. its funny but there was no in-line fuse. im gona go back to the installer and see why.

bob, what i mean by split is, that there is a green/black wire coming out of the ignition bundle and instead of going to the harness its cut in the middle and both ends go into the brain at different input channels. i did hook that back up, but still no go.
If you know the clicking is from the brain of the alarm, it is probably a relay that is sticking.
Sometimes if you take it apart and tap the relay it will work again (emphasize sometimes).
Old 01-21-2006, 11:35 AM
Contributing Member

took the whole alarm off. its back to stock but will be installing a commando.
Old 01-21-2006, 12:32 PM
Contributing Member

thanks a lot for the help guys, especially icehawk
Old 01-21-2006, 12:46 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
took the whole alarm off. its back to stock but will be installing a commando.
good decision. just make sure you take *everything* out and can verify that everything works like a non-alarm equipped 4runner before you install another alarm system

bob