Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

96 4Runner - Rear Tailgate Wiring & Junction Box Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2022, 05:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
96 4Runner - Rear Tailgate Wiring & Junction Box Question

Hi all, longtime reader first time poster.

My 96 4runner's rear window, wipers & defrost are not working. Had a bunch of random work being done at a local shop and asked them to take a look at wiring in the back to see about potential issues.

Got a text back saying that the below picture was the 'issue' and that he would need to individually splice the 16 wires as he could no longer purchase a replacement (not sure there is a replacement for just a blue junction connector?)

Did some more research on forum and some vids and I guess my question first is
1. Does it make any sense that the blue junction connector could be an issue? Is there supposed to be anything plugged into this end? I see in the below picture from another user here there is a cover that is supposed to be on it?

Have no idea if shop checked the top of gate where wire comes from corner of body and the tailgate where there is lots of wear/tear, but am going to ask tomorrow

Thanks y'all!
Old 03-30-2022, 09:49 PM

Received 647 Likes on 522 Posts
What really makes me wonder is Toyota's great love of different colored wires for different signals, etc. Yet, all the wires going to that connector are all the same color. That's unusual. White with black is normally ground. So a plug full of ground wires? I don't think so, but I don't know. It's certainly odd.

Could it be for a system your truck doesn't have? Maybe something to do with towing? A test plug for the rear door ECU?
Just throwing thoughts out there. I get so few...

I wish you luck. I still don't see how that connector could be the problem, though.
It sounds like the shop is tossing a guess out in hope of more money, but I may well be way off on that. I just don't see how it's the problem, unless it came unplugged. And if it just came unplugged, what's so long and involved about plugging it back in?

Anywho, good luck!
Pat☺
Old 04-01-2022, 11:53 AM

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
Post an email address or send me an email fierohink@hotmail.com

I’m pretty sure I have the wiring diagram as a pdf.

i also have a spare tailgate that should have the control box or harness if you need parts.
The following users liked this post:
lakesuperior4runner (04-05-2022)
Old 04-05-2022, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fierohink
Post an email address or send me an email fierohink@hotmail.com

I’m pretty sure I have the wiring diagram as a pdf.

i also have a spare tailgate that should have the control box or harness if you need parts.
Thank you! Sent a DM or e-mail from here to you with my info.

Originally Posted by 2ToyGuy
What really makes me wonder is Toyota's great love of different colored wires for different signals, etc. Yet, all the wires going to that connector are all the same color. That's unusual. White with black is normally ground. So a plug full of ground wires? I don't think so, but I don't know. It's certainly odd.

Could it be for a system your truck doesn't have? Maybe something to do with towing? A test plug for the rear door ECU?
Just throwing thoughts out there. I get so few...

I wish you luck. I still don't see how that connector could be the problem, though.
It sounds like the shop is tossing a guess out in hope of more money, but I may well be way off on that. I just don't see how it's the problem, unless it came unplugged. And if it just came unplugged, what's so long and involved about plugging it back in?

Anywho, good luck!
Pat☺
No kidding I'm going to get the runner back from the shop in a couple days and do some more digging!
Old 04-07-2022, 08:46 AM

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
I didn't get your email. I'm not sure if that function works...