Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

96 4runner -brakes sticking!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
96 4runner -brakes sticking!

96 4runner 4x4 limited with abs and auto trans - the brakes started sticking a couple weeks ago, around the time I had the oil changed at Jiffylube and my snow wheels/tires mounted. Not sure if either of these affected anything, other then both shops use the parking brake and I never use it.

When coming to a stop, from about 2 mpg to stop, the brakes will grab. It's hard to tell exactly which brakes, but seems to be the rears. On snow or sand, the rears will lock up, and the abs will pump the fronts. If i put in reverse, then forward, the breaks seem to release. No clunk or other sound like other posts seem to report.

I checked the brakes and the pads all look good, but the rt rears were worn out, only in one spot, lower part of the front brake shoe (on the rt rear brake). The left rear wasn't worn at all due to a leaking axle seal. I don't have the time to replace the axle seal, so am hoping this is not the problems.

I've bled and re bled front and rears, added fresh brake fluid, etc - no significant change. As an emergency measure, I backed the rear adjusters WAY off, thinking I could get by with just front brakes, but this didn't help. The brake pedal goes further to the floor, and the rears still lock up.

Anyone know if there is a proportioning valve on a 96 with abs? Since the rears lock up even when adjusted way out, it seems like a proportioning issue, but i'm not that familiar with brakes.

Any ideas or help appreciated!
Old 01-17-2010, 02:34 PM
Contributing Member

Received 477 Likes on 321 Posts
My rear brake grabbed when I had a leaking axle seal/bad bearing......fixed the problem, cleaned the brakes up, solved the grab.
Not saying it's your problem, just saying don't discount it.