Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

87' runner IFS caster?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2003, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

I guess I finally got it right.I paid $39.They told me the bolts were frozen on that side and they couldn't fully adjust it.It was on a saturday,by the time they finished it was around 11:30am.They closed at noon.He told me if I wanted to buy new bolts and bring it back,they could adjust it then.No mention of additional cost.It does drive a lot better with just a slight pull to the left.I'm assumeing they meant the upper A-arm bolt because I was able to get the bottom one loose the nite before.I'm gonna see if I can get the top loose tomorrow.Any words of advice on how to loosen it up? thanks
Old 04-02-2003, 03:38 PM

well, if you have a torch, soak it in blaster or some other penetrating oil the night before, then hose it off the next day, and heat it with a torch, if you dont have a torch, soak in penetrating oil, then soak it some more, give it a couple wacks on the top with a hammer, and double wrench it, good luck...
Old 04-02-2003, 05:40 PM

Question

:pat: Thanx 87.I got both the nuts off on the drivers side lower A-arm.How did you take tension off the bolt to drive it out.It looks like the threads will be damaged if I just bang'em out. I've got jack-stands under the front cross member.Did you put a jack on the A-arm under the bolt and jack it up a little.Let me know what you did.I sprayed penetrating oil on the bolts.I'll let it sit overnite.And I have a small propane torch.Thnx again
Old 04-02-2003, 08:09 PM
Contributing Member

'K.. here is the problem guys..It is going to be very hard to hammer the bolts out if they are frozen, Keep in mind they are incaesed in rubbber.. That also means you can not heat it (you want to heat the sleve that you can not get to, not the bolt)

It is a very hard job to remove them if you can not hammer the bolts out (ps, bolts cost $40 new) The bushings are $75 each from Toyota, there are no aftermarket ones except HyperFlex and other polyurethane kits and they don't come with the sleeves..

I just got back tonight from about a 175 mile round trip drive to pick up a pair of free lower control arms just for those sleeves (wish I had waited on the bolts.. could of had his old ones.)

Let me know if you need any tips, I just got done removing the control arms the hard way... (and there is pretty much only one way to get them off if they are stuck)
Old 04-03-2003, 03:49 AM

Question

:pat: Thnx firefyter,I need to know if you need to put a jack on the a-arm, under the bolt to take the tension off ,to hammer out the bolt.Also,where do you get the shims to move the a-arm forward or backwards to set the caster.I think I only need to move it forward about an 1/8 of an inch.Do you put them between the sleeve and mounting bracket?Let me know how yours turns out.Man,it sounds like you've had a real "PITA" time with yours!Thnx again,Doug
Old 04-03-2003, 05:45 AM
Contributing Member

No shims.. the bolt hole is slotted.. bu turning the cam bolt it will draw if forward.. Also, there is not much preasure on the bolt. But the problem is that they rust solid inside the bushing.. Now that sleeve & bolt is in about 2" of old soft rubber that absorbs your hammer blows. You can not very well heat or oil then with the outter washers in place.. Good luck.. I did think about this though, it may work.. find a big socket that can fit over the bolt head and cam washer (it is welded to the bolt at the head end) Now try using a Hi-Lift as a under truck press by clamping it out.. This "may" work.. I did not think of it untill after..
Old 04-03-2003, 06:24 AM

Thumbs up

I'll drink to that!I'll try it.Thnx again!Doug
Old 04-03-2003, 04:10 PM

remove the bolts? whatever for? i didnt have to remove mine, and i did my alignment on an alignment rack... one of the benefits of working for a dealership i guess lol, just loosen the nuts, and slide the bolt in the slot and tighten it back down.... good luck again
Old 04-03-2003, 06:26 PM
Contributing Member

Yea, but down in sunny FLA it is easy to move bolts.. If his bolts are frozen and the shop can not trun them then the bushings are going to be shot one way or the other.. Gotta remove the bolts to get to the bushings.. and pray that the bolts can come out..

PS.. I have 2 of my new sleeves out, cleaned, greased and in the new poly bushings. Just have to burn the sleeves out of the other control arm tomorow.

Ahhh... pretty red bushings, see how thick those sleeves are??
Old 04-03-2003, 06:43 PM

:pat: Daggone-it!I just wasted 20 mins typing a reply and it got bumped b-cause to many characters!Crap!OK now that the rant is over.I got 1 bolt loose enough to turn,I beat the hell out of the other 1 all day.Not a budge!If I understand,I just need to have the bolt loose so I can get the cam(eccentric) to turn.To move the arm forward which way do I need to turn the cam?I'm assuming I need to move the drivers side a-arm forward because it's the one still showing neg caster.Am I correct with that assumption?Another thing you guys mite be able to get thru my thick skull.For the life of me,I can see where moving the bolt sideways in the slot would change the camber.But I still don't see where turning the cam does anything.I mean,if it were tapered,thick to thin from 1 side to the other.But it's the same thickness all the way across.Please explain how the cam moves the arm!Thnx guys!!later Doug
Old 04-03-2003, 08:12 PM
Contributing Member

Front bolt cam , the cam needs to go towards the outside of the truck. This will draw the arm forward, but it will also change the "lean" of your spindle in a more "reclined" position.. You never move anything on the front suspension without it changing something else.

Those rusted bolts are a bugger, Eh??
Old 04-04-2003, 06:11 AM

:pat: You got that right!I was under the truck all day.Guess I'll go at it again 2day.thnx alot!Doug
Old 04-04-2003, 06:13 AM

solar, what happened to your daughter? i bet she could figure out how its done... LMAO bwahahhaa:pat:
Old 04-04-2003, 06:26 AM

She probably could!!LOL! But she's afraid to get dirt on her hands!I keep telling her she better learn how to work on the 4runner cause it's gonna be hers when she gets her license.She freaks!!!She wants a brand new ride!I keep telling her she'll be lucky to get a $2000 POS!!!That burns her up!!!HAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! later,time to go beat up on that bolt! Doug
Old 04-04-2003, 11:50 AM

afraid to get dirty? tell her thats why you have soap... and mineral spirits, lol, give her the 4runner when she starts to drive, unless you value it at all.. LOL get her to take some pictures of the wrenches bouncing off the side of the truck as you're working... LOL
josh
Old 04-04-2003, 12:12 PM

:wtf:Man!!!I've beat those bolts for 2 days straight!!!Gonna drive me to drink.......more! I'm givin up and leaving it alone for awhile!She's in one of her moods right now------so I'm gonna keep my mouth shut!Between her and my wife(can you say whipped)!!haaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!later,Doug
Old 04-04-2003, 04:55 PM

i bet yer really lovin life right now with those bolts, i say you bring it down to my dealership tomorrow, and ill do it if you buy me lunch... only a 17 hour drive, start now, LOL nothing wrong with being whipped, as long as its by the right womEn.......
Old 04-04-2003, 06:17 PM

Well,I got the lower front bolt and cam to turn.I'm letting the lower rear one soak over-nite.Then I'll start beating on it again tomorrow.Dude,if you'd said that earlier in the week,I might've took you up on it!hahaha.I been chilling all week on vacation.Later,Doug