Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

4x4 2005 Tacoma?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2004, 11:58 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
coilover rear suspension? is this truck even supposed to haul things any more?

next thing you know, it'll have IRS
Old 03-26-2004, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kyle_22r
coilover rear suspension? is this truck even supposed to haul things any more?

next thing you know, it'll have IRS
A truck with rear coil springs can still have a decent load capacity. The 1/2 ton Chevy Avalanche has rear coil springs, has a payload capacity of 1360 lb, and can tow 8300 lb, and rides much better than the 1/2 ton Silverado pickup. The larger 3/4 ton Avalanche does, however, use rear leaf springs, which allows 600 more pounds for payload.

Besides which, when was the last time you saw a Tacoma 4WD with a real heavy load in the bed? They are simply not used for heavy hauling, are they. That's what the Tundra is for.
Old 03-26-2004, 07:37 PM

I think the rear suspension is the same design as the Tundra, so whatever the Tundra has, the new Tacoma will too.
Old 03-27-2004, 11:24 AM

I'm thinking of getting a 2004 Tacoma. I just found out that Toyota is redisigning them for 2005 (though I figured it's due for a redesign sometime soon). I kind of need to get a truck right now so I can't wait. Do you think I should be able to get a better price considering the new ones are coming out next year?

I like the styling of the 05 and I especially like the interior. The 2004 Styling is getting a bit outdated compared to some of the other spaceships on the road. BUT I don't think I would purchase another new model year vehicle. I have a 03 Accord and I figured I could trust Honda to build a great car however there are many little 'kinks' that have been worked out in the 04 model year.

Of course, I could always get a 98 or 99 Tacoma now and then sell it in a year or two. I'm afraid that the value of the 04 will go down significantly when the new model comes out. Is this true?
Old 03-27-2004, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by bassic
I'm thinking of getting a 2004 Tacoma. I just found out that Toyota is redisigning them for 2005 (though I figured it's due for a redesign sometime soon). I kind of need to get a truck right now so I can't wait. Do you think I should be able to get a better price considering the new ones are coming out next year?
The new Tacoma will be out this year, in the fall.
Old 03-27-2004, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by FirstToy
I think the rear suspension is the same design as the Tundra, so whatever the Tundra has, the new Tacoma will too.
From what I can see, it looks like a coilover rear suspension. There are no tell-tale leaf springs or shackles visible and the exhaust routes sharply out of the side (just behind the passenger rear tire).
Now I am confused. If as you say, there are no visible shackles or leaf springs, then the new Tacoma rear suspension will be like the one on the 4Runner, and not like the one on the Tundra. A rear coil suspension on the Tacoma would make sense if you look at how most of these vehicles will be used (commuting to work, recreation, getting groceries, and picking up a sheet of plywood at Home Depot). For these applicatons, the greater load capacity of leaf springs will not be needed, and the potential of a rear coil suspension for better ride characteristics will be more important.
Old 03-27-2004, 02:39 PM
Contributing Member

bassic:
Yes, you will be able to get a better price - the 2005s are set to come out in August I think it was? Anyhow, I'm sure you can negotiate with the dealer and get some kind of deal set up. And yes, resale will drop as well.
I'm with you, I don't feel comfortable buying the first year of anything. I'd rather wait until the later years when things have been complained about and fixed.
Old 03-27-2004, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by outahere
Now I am confused. If as you say, there are no visible shackles or leaf springs, then the new Tacoma rear suspension will be like the one on the 4Runner, and not like the one on the Tundra. A rear coil suspension on the Tacoma would make sense if you look at how most of these vehicles will be used (commuting to work, recreation, getting groceries, and picking up a sheet of plywood at Home Depot). For these applicatons, the greater load capacity of leaf springs will not be needed, and the potential of a rear coil suspension for better ride characteristics will be more important.
I actually said the second thing you quoted first. From looking at the spy photos, I could not see shackles or leaf springs so I guessed it was a coilover.

After learning some more info, it will be the same design as the Tundra rear suspension.
Incidentally, with a casual glance you cannot see the the shackles or leafs under the Tundra either.

I don't know how accurate the information is and I wish I could just post the spy photos but I'm sure they will be published soon enough.
Old 03-27-2004, 07:41 PM

According to a posting at carspyshots.tk, the photographer who took the photos of the truck on the California freeway has confirmed that it is the 2005 Tacoma, and not a Tundra. Apparently, the same photographer also has photos of an undisguised Tacoma (not the X runner) for sale. Judging from the lack of photos on the internet, no one seems to have purchased these undisguised photos yet.
Old 03-27-2004, 08:42 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The link below should take you to an enhance profile shot of the X-Runner. If any Taco were to have rear coils, it would be this one. But, although no springs are visible at all, the top of the outboard shock mount is. That leads me to believe that leafs will be used throughout the lineup.

What really concerns me is the new, heavier, higher output X-Runner apparently relying on rear drum brakes to do the job. I'd think happier thoughts if the front discs filled the wheel, but they appear to be off-the-shelf twin-pot calipers that will probably be used throughout the new Taco lineup.

I hope the link goes to a prototype and the final production piece will have four-wheel discs. But, sometimes Toyota does dumb cost savings measures on mechanicals while pumping those $ into absurd body kits. Looks like early downshifts using engine braking will be SOP. At least it'll have a 6-speed to make it entertaining.

Rear outboard shock...no coilover here

Last edited by BT17R; 03-27-2004 at 08:44 PM.
Old 03-28-2004, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by outahere
According to a posting at carspyshots.tk, the photographer who took the photos of the truck on the California freeway has confirmed that it is the 2005 Tacoma, and not a Tundra. Apparently, the same photographer also has photos of an undisguised Tacoma (not the X runner) for sale. Judging from the lack of photos on the internet, no one seems to have purchased these undisguised photos yet.
Well the editor that sent me the photos of a almost undisguised white 4x4 double cab must have bought the photos... maybe not... anyway, I'm sure the 2 pics will pop up on the net soon. The two pics I have look like they were taken in a snowy forest.

Although not sure, the pictures also look like 4 wheel disc brakes, hood scoop, sliding rear glass...basically a lifted X-Runner. The fender flares are bigger- like the 4Runner but shaped like the XRunner. Make sense? Hope that's not confusing.

Last edited by FirstToy; 03-28-2004 at 07:02 PM.
Old 03-30-2004, 10:41 AM

Well the editor that sent me the photos of a almost undisguised white 4x4 double cab must have bought the photos... maybe not... anyway, I'm sure the 2 pics will pop up on the net soon. The two pics I have look like they were taken in a snowy forest.

Although not sure, the pictures also look like 4 wheel disc brakes, hood scoop, sliding rear glass...basically a lifted X-Runner. The fender flares are bigger- like the 4Runner but shaped like the XRunner. Make sense? Hope that's not confusing.
Whoever has photos of an undisguised 2005 Tacoma 4WD truck should not sit on them too much longer, because they will soon be worthless. It is my understanding (from a posting by the editor at pickuptruck.com) that this truck will be unveiled in less than 2 weeks at the New York Auto Show.
Old 03-30-2004, 03:22 PM
Contributing Member

2005 Tacoma production start in September 04??
I just read this old news article (Feb 04) that states the Taco will only be produced in Sept, maybe they are wrong. But that means a long wait and inconsistent with what I heard fromthe dealer.
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercu...ve/7889754.htm
Old 03-30-2004, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by bulldog-yota
2005 Tacoma production start in September 04??
I just read this old news article (Feb 04) that states the Taco will only be produced in Sept, maybe they are wrong. But that means a long wait and inconsistent with what I heard fromthe dealer.
For what it's worth... Back in February I took a wild stab at getting some actual facts. I called the one and only Taco Factory (NUMMI) direct and told the receptionist I was an individual customer who wanted to find out the final production timeframe for the 2004 Tacomas. There was a long pause, then some fellow in their Production Management office came on the line. I told him I wasn't fishing for proprietary info, that I was interested in an '04, and I wondered if he could confirm when the last ones would be produced. My call seemed to have initially confused him. We politely agreed we'd talk only of '04's, not '05's. He checked the production schedule and told me the last '04's were slated to come off the line in August 2004. He also indicated (a) they'd be doing transition during August (so 'August' didn't necessarily mean all of August) and (b) their plan was to definitely NOT be producing '04's as of September.

It may be bull˟˟˟˟, but I got it from the horse's mouth...
Old 03-30-2004, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by EnolaGaia
For what it's worth... Back in February I took a wild stab at getting some actual facts. I called the one and only Taco Factory (NUMMI) direct and told the receptionist I was an individual customer who wanted to find out the final production timeframe for the 2004 Tacomas. There was a long pause, then some fellow in their Production Management office came on the line. I told him I wasn't fishing for proprietary info, that I was interested in an '04, and I wondered if he could confirm when the last ones would be produced. My call seemed to have initially confused him. We politely agreed we'd talk only of '04's, not '05's. He checked the production schedule and told me the last '04's were slated to come off the line in August 2004. He also indicated (a) they'd be doing transition during August (so 'August' didn't necessarily mean all of August) and (b) their plan was to definitely NOT be producing '04's as of September.

It may be bull˟˟˟˟, but I got it from the horse's mouth...
A September arrival for the 2005 Tacoma is consistent with what the Toyota reps said at the Chicago show when they unveiled the X-Runner. They stated that the new Tacomas would be on sale in the "fall" of 2004. To me, "fall" means the time span over late August, September, and October. I believe the new Nissan Frontier is also arriving around that time, so there may be some incentive for Toyota to speed up the process.

Anyone on the east coast going to the New York Auto Show on April 9? Sure would like to hear what you think about the new 2005 Tacoma 4WD that will supposedly be there!

Last edited by outahere; 04-06-2004 at 12:02 PM.
Old 04-06-2004, 07:27 PM

Well, by Wednesday or Thursday we should finally be able to see the undisguised Tacoma 4WD and get some tech details on it, at the press preview in the New York show.
Old 04-12-2004, 09:10 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

BTT.. (curious if anyone has seen anything different)
Old 04-12-2004, 02:11 PM

The new Tacoma will share the 8" IFS diff from the '03 4Runner. Seems like they could use the '03 rear axle housing that has disk brakes too. Whoops, scratch that. They wouldn't go backwards on diff strength for the rear end... Maybe they'll create another housing for the Taco pumkin with disk brakes. That would mean no elocker though since the elocker housing only sports drums. It would be silly to have drums on the TRD version and disks on the regular version....

Last edited by LarsDennert; 04-12-2004 at 02:16 PM.
Old 04-12-2004, 08:58 PM

Anyone got pix?

I checked the NY Auto Show site and as yet there aren't any pix. Anyone have the real thing yet? It just might be what I get and replace my T100 and 4Runner!
Old 04-13-2004, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by AndroT100
I checked the NY Auto Show site and as yet there aren't any pix. Anyone have the real thing yet?
FWIW... I've been monitoring the NY Auto Show stuff at multiple forums and sites. There's been absolutely no mention of any Taco being displayed other than the X-Runner unveiled at Chicago in February. I've even posted a couple of inquiries at NY show-specific bulletin boards, but no one's bothered to respond at all. I'm starting to wonder if Toyota is really gonna unveil the 'normal' (non-X) '05 Taco in NY.

Quick Reply: 4x4 2005 Tacoma?