Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

4x4 2005 Tacoma?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2004, 05:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Duc Hunter
Maybe it is a new Tundra?
Nope! The new Tundra will be a real full-size truck, probably as big as the new F150. That spy shot looks a little smaller than the Titan... so I think its the new 'coma DubCab.
Old 03-12-2004, 08:44 AM

That looks WAY too big to be a Tacoma, even if that is a Corvette in the background. The height of the grille is twice the size of the of the blue Tacoma from the auto show. Isn't it time for the Tundra to be redesigned anyway? If it is a Tacoma D-cab, I might as well buy Tundra to get the v-8. Just too big for me. I'll find a used D-cab.
Old 03-12-2004, 09:00 AM

Hey guys, that spy shot is the Tacoma DC. The front looks so big because it has a fake cardboard structure under there to disguise it. Same with under the white mesh.

You can clearly see the 4th gen windsheild, interior, A-pillar, doors and the Tacoma rear bumper & wheel arches. It is the correct size, the tall front hood just throws off the proportions and makes it look taller.

Even in disguise, that thing looks gooooood!!!!
Old 03-12-2004, 12:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you look at the X-Runner it looks like that almost with bigger tires and the body sitting higher
Old 03-12-2004, 12:37 PM
Contributing Member

Will a 5 speed be available?
Old 03-12-2004, 02:22 PM
Contributing Member

Probably not.
None of the double cabs have come with it up to this point. I don't think there has been a particularly loud uproar for it.
Old 03-12-2004, 03:19 PM
Contributing Member

SOpke with the dealer today. They expect the new Tacoma's in about 3 months from now. Also apprently it will ONLY have the V6, with a Supercharger add on (probably TRD). Not too much else from them. Apparently it does share a lot with the 4Runner, looks and styling included.
Old 03-12-2004, 03:31 PM

"consider that the 2005 Toyota Tacoma X-Runner’s wheelbase is five inches longer and the track is four inches wider than the previous truck. This signals that all versions of the 2005 Tacoma are moving well up in size. The benefit of this upsizing is evident inside the cabin, too. Interior shoulder and hip room are up 4.5 inches."

The '05 is definitely going to be bigger and have the 4.0L available.
I'm definitely interested in purchasing a '05 Ext cab 4X4 with TRD package.
Preferably a Limited if Toyota still has that package.
Old 03-12-2004, 03:42 PM
Contributing Member

I test drove a Titan (Off Road) today, just for ˟˟˟˟˟s and giggles. It is a very BIG truck, but the interior quality is disappointing, it just gives a cheap feel when you drive, squeakes and little rattles on a NEW vechile. It is pretty strong but didn't really feel any faster or stronger than my 4Runner. Also it felt pretty unsettled on the freeway, my 4Runner feels WAY better. Lastly the exhaust note sounds like great fun for the first mile but is really irritating on the freeway. It felt really good to get back to my little Runner.

So I hope/believe Toyota will do a better job of the Tacoma. Really want one, so I can get rid of my gf's Freelander. Was there a big difference in ride quality between the 3rd Gen Runner and the current Taco??? WIth the different wheelbase and rear suspension, etc.
Old 03-13-2004, 10:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i'll be hanging on to my 1st gen...new trucks have nothing to offer me...
Old 03-13-2004, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Duc Hunter
Maybe it is a new Tundra?My comment on the Titan/Armada is that maybe it is the 05/06 replacement? Sure does not look like any Toyota I have seen.
The Titan and Armada have only been on the market for a few months, and there is no way a redesign would happen in 2005/2006. The disguised truck is definitely not a Titan.
Old 03-13-2004, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by redvet
"consider that the 2005 Toyota Tacoma X-Runner’s wheelbase is five inches longer and the track is four inches wider than the previous truck. This signals that all versions of the 2005 Tacoma are moving well up in size. The benefit of this upsizing is evident inside the cabin, too. Interior shoulder and hip room are up 4.5 inches."

The '05 is definitely going to be bigger and have the 4.0L available.
I'm definitely interested in purchasing a '05 Ext cab 4X4 with TRD package.
Preferably a Limited if Toyota still has that package.
A lot of people seem to be upset by the increase in size of the Tacoma, but there are some benefits to it. The biggest benefit comes from the increase in track width by 4". Since the current Tacoma is very easy to roll at normal highway speeds (see testing by NHTSA in April issue of Consumer Reports), the increased track width should greatly reduce the probabilty of rollover, on and off road. Plus the increase in interior width will also be welcome. And the increase in wheelbase can improve ride quality. Yes, there are some disadvantages with the increased weight and size, but I think the benefits will outweigh the disadvantages.
Old 03-13-2004, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by X-AWDriver
Will a 5 speed be available?
The Tacoma X-Runner will have a 6 speed manual. Will it also be in the 4WD? Nobody but Toyota knows for sure.
Old 03-13-2004, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by bulldog-yota
SOpke with the dealer today. They expect the new Tacoma's in about 3 months from now. Also apprently it will ONLY have the V6, with a Supercharger add on (probably TRD). Not too much else from them. Apparently it does share a lot with the 4Runner, looks and styling included.
I have read that the TRD supercharger will boost power to 300HP, and that the new 4WD Tacomas will arrive around September.
Old 03-13-2004, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by outahere
The Tacoma X-Runner will have a 6 speed manual. Will it also be in the 4WD? Nobody but Toyota knows for sure.
"Unlike other Tacomas with two-wheel-drive, the X-Runner is slammed one inch, rides on 18-inch 45-series performance tires and employs firmer and shorter springs with specially tuned Bilstein gas shocks. The rear shocks are mounted outboard of the frame rails, similar to the 2004 Ford F-150, for increased vehicle stability. Front and rear stabilizer bars are standard, as well as a limited-slip differential.

Power comes from a 4.0-liter, 240-horsepower V6 engine that produces 275 lb.-ft. of torque. Toyota Racing Development (TRD) will offer a dealer-installed supercharger for the X-Runner that puts power into the 300-horse range. Without the supercharger, the X-Runner accelerates to 60 mph in seven seconds, according to Toyota. With the supercharger, Toyota reports that the truck gets to the same speed in less than six seconds. A six-speed close-ratio manual transmission delivers power to the rear wheels, and Toyota claims that roadholding exceeds 0.9 g’s of lateral acceleration.
"

I doubt you'll see a 4X4 in the X-Runner.
The truck is a made for speed and handling.

Here's a pic of the '05 Tacoma 4 door.

Old 03-13-2004, 03:09 PM

"Unlike other Tacomas with two-wheel-drive, the X-Runner is slammed one inch, rides on 18-inch 45-series performance tires and employs firmer and shorter springs with specially tuned Bilstein gas shocks. The rear shocks are mounted outboard of the frame rails, similar to the 2004 Ford F-150, for increased vehicle stability. Front and rear stabilizer bars are standard, as well as a limited-slip differential.

Power comes from a 4.0-liter, 240-horsepower V6 engine that produces 275 lb.-ft. of torque. Toyota Racing Development (TRD) will offer a dealer-installed supercharger for the X-Runner that puts power into the 300-horse range. Without the supercharger, the X-Runner accelerates to 60 mph in seven seconds, according to Toyota. With the supercharger, Toyota reports that the truck gets to the same speed in less than six seconds. A six-speed close-ratio manual transmission delivers power to the rear wheels, and Toyota claims that roadholding exceeds 0.9 g’s of lateral acceleration.
"

If that turns out to be it.
I am glad I got an '04
Old 03-13-2004, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Pawk
If that turns out to be it.
I am glad I got an '04
4.0L V6(I hope the oil filter is in a better area than the 3.4)
5 inches longer
4 inches wider.
It'll look nice with the ext cab look vs the 4 door..
Great interior!

I can't wait to possibly buy one!

Last edited by redvet; 03-13-2004 at 03:37 PM.
Old 03-13-2004, 06:16 PM
Contributing Member

Why is it that all new cars/trucks have to look like freakin spaceships?
I dont like it none
Old 03-13-2004, 07:26 PM

I was referring to a Tacoma 4WD, not a X-Runner 4WD.

The pic of the purple "Tacoma 4X4" is a photoshop job, and not a photo of the actual truck.
Old 03-13-2004, 07:42 PM

Here is my chop of the Taco DC, which I think is pretty close to the real thing.

Quick Reply: 4x4 2005 Tacoma?