Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:
Browse all: Toyota 4Runner 4WD - Four Wheel Drive Guides

Print Wikipost

4WD won't disengage on 99 4Runner LTD

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 10:13 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
You need to remove each switch and test them with a multimeter to verify which switch is faulty if one of them is at fault. Let us know what you find out.

Doug
Old 07-12-2010, 06:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This thread helped me out. Found one of those switches on ebay 84222-12010, hes got alot more.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...SA%3AUS%3A1123
Old 07-29-2010, 06:41 PM
RV1

I'm new here, but thought I'd chime in. My wife told me that many idiot lights were on on the dash. When I checked it, the VSC and the CEL and others were on. Cleaned the corroded ground cable and they all went away, but now the symbol for the 4 wheel drive was flashing. I tried many things like driving back an forth, shifting into and out 4wd, even trying to spin on wet grass with no luck. I did more reading and called my local Stealership. They said they could order a new switch for $90. I read another post and they cleaned their switch. I removed both switches on the transfer case. One tested good, the other was bad. I used Green Clean and air pressure to clean it. It worked perfect after re-install! Whole thing took less than 1/2 hour.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by 99SC4Runner
I'm glad you guys were able to fix it for the minimum cost of a simple test and a single part.

Too many times people listen to the dealer and they always claim it's the rear t-case actuator, but most of the time it is a simple switch/sensor that has went bad.

Doug

Yes, that was my experience. The stealership wanted $2,300 to fix my transfer case.

This thread saved me.

STICKY THIS THREAD !!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-30-2010, 02:52 PM

wow, what savings now convince the wife you need a new miller mig welder and a plasma cutter combo..
Old 08-14-2010, 02:21 PM

Great thread! Thanks 99SC4Runner, Romey_D for the step-by-step and everyone else who has contributed.

Same problem here - 99 4Runner Limited, the 4WD lights on the dash are flashing (green and yellow) and I can tell the vehicle is in 4WD but I can't get it to disengage.

I used to hear a click and a clunky noise when I toggled the M/M switch on the side of the shifter. That noise seems to have stopped when the problem began.

I pulled the front differential switch and tested it with a multimeter. It tests open with the ball extended and closed with the ball depressed, which indicates a good switch.

I also tried using a paper clip to short the two wires in the front switch's plug with the engine running to see if I could activate the circuit - once or twice it seemed like I got a clunk and the idle speed dropped a bit, but I couldn't repeat the result consistently so I'm not sure.

How do you get at the two (three) switches on the rear transfer casing? It looks like they're at the top of the housing, right between the casing and the transmission hump. Is it possible to access and remove the switches without disassembly?

Many thanks for your help!
Old 09-19-2010, 05:44 PM

I've had the same blinking 4WD light and stuck in 4WD.

I used a Haynes Manaual and the helpful data provided in this string (THANKYOU!) to test my ADD switches, follow the circuitry, test the Actuator and Front Sensor.

I found no continuity on either pins 4 & 5 or 4 & 6 at the Actuator plug when switing between 2WD and 4WD by shorting out pins 2 & 3. According to Haynes this indicates the limit switch within the Actuator are not working.

This makes sense since the activation of the electric switch for AWD locks the front differential and engages the Actuator part way (I think). Then when one shifts the 4WD lever into H4L it moves the actutor further to lock the center differential so one has full 4WD. I believe the limit switch controls this, so it seems I need to replace the actuator. I hope I've got it right and thanks for all your help!
Old 09-20-2010, 02:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Stormin
I've had the same blinking 4WD light and stuck in 4WD.

I used a Haynes Manaual and the helpful data provided in this string (THANKYOU!) to test my ADD switches, follow the circuitry, test the Actuator and Front Sensor.

I found no continuity on either pins 4 & 5 or 4 & 6 at the Actuator plug when switing between 2WD and 4WD by shorting out pins 2 & 3. According to Haynes this indicates the limit switch within the Actuator are not working.

This makes sense since the activation of the electric switch for AWD locks the front differential and engages the Actuator part way (I think). Then when one shifts the 4WD lever into H4L it moves the actutor further to lock the center differential so one has full 4WD. I believe the limit switch controls this, so it seems I need to replace the actuator. I hope I've got it right and thanks for all your help!
just a quick question, do you have an aussie truck or an american ?
if its an australian then does your tcase shifter motor make a noise when shifting between 4wd ?
Old 10-18-2010, 09:52 AM

Vehicle originally sold in Canada - its not an Aussie model.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:27 PM

Please send the pics to stevey3@comcast.net
Old 11-09-2010, 05:57 PM

Seems like most posting in this thread have 1999 and newer 4Rs...

Has anyone fixed the same problem in older models...ie 1997?
Old 11-10-2010, 11:50 PM

The link to the pics is in my first post......
Old 11-25-2010, 08:16 PM

4Runner Stuck in 4Wheel Drive

My 99 4Runner ltd has been stuck in 4 Wheel drive. When I push the 4wd disengage button the 4 wheel ddrive indicator lights flash but the runner doesn't disengage. I tried backing up and it still doesn't work. Can anyone help?

I don't wanna drive on dry roads with 4Wheel drive engaged.

Thanks
Old 11-27-2010, 03:08 PM

Recently had the same problem. After reading up on it here, I changed out the front diff. switch. Part # 84222-35070, cost $40. Wporks fine now. It is on top of the diff. slightly on the RH sine. It is easy to get at. Took all of 30 minutes. You can pull out the old one and check it with a multi meter. Good luck.
Old 11-27-2010, 03:22 PM

4byer,

Just read my thread here and test the 4wd switches to find the faulty part.

Doug
Old 12-08-2010, 10:34 AM

4wd stuck and lights blinking like others

99 Runner, first of all thanks again for all the great work and help. I like many others having issues with my 4wd lights blinking. I can't get in 4wd. I checked the sensors and only found 3 on my 2000 4runner. Not an expert at all and need help. I did find out that the front sensor was bad and replaced using hte 84222-35070 but did not fix the problem. I found 2 more sensors way in the back underneath my driver seat area and both tested fine. I'm not sure where to search to find 84222-12010. Can you send me directions or pics where to find all the sensors? All the pics and links are expired or not helping me. Sorry for being dense but of course my dealer said transfer case needs replaced, no idea what's wrong and over $2000 to fix.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:00 PM

The link to the pictures is in the very first post in this thread.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by 99SC4Runner
The link to the pictures is in the very first post in this thread.
I'm sorry Doug but those pics don't really help me. I've read this thread 20 times. I found the 84222-35070 sensor and replaced it since there was no continuity with my charger. I can't find the 84222-12010 sensor. I have looked for all the sensors as you suggested but I can only find 3 total. One was up front under the middle of the skid plate and that was hopefully the 35070 sensor. The other two I found is back in the middle of the truck near where I sit and I pulled both thouse out with a 27 mm socket and those tested ok with a continuity test. I can't tell if one of these are the 12010 sensor or where the others are. Your first post on this thread does not show the 12010 sensor unless I'm missing it. I only see one sensor circled on pic 5.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:34 PM

Are there 2 sensors on the back of the transfer case near the actuator? If there is, then the 1 sensor on the back of the t-case in the most forward spot should be the 84222-12010 sensor/switch.

On the 99 Limited 4Runners there is a center diff lock transfer switch that is located on the passenger side of the transfer case. Look to see if you have one there as well.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:53 PM

Hi all,
I have a 2002 Sport edition, the 4WD lights are blinking, I'm stuck in 2WD (slight difference then most of you guys) and I'm glad to have found this thread. I found the actuator on the back of the transfer case, pulled the two switches.. found one of them was bad so I replaced it today.

After replacing the bad one, I jumped out from under the truck and started it, tried to get it into 4WD but the lights just kept blinking. I climbed back under the truck and realized that I had forgotten to plug in the 6 pin cable so I did that and then started the truck again.

This time, the 4WD light was on.. solid, and the VSC OFF light was also on. I put the truck in reverse, backed it up a little and hit the differential button to unlock it. When I did this, there was a click, click click noise that lasted just a couple seconds and stopped. I turned the truck off and started it again.. this time the 4WD lights are flashing again.

I'm wondering if someone can describe to me where the two switches are on the top of the transfer case? I obviously found and tested the two on the actuator, but if there are two more, maybe.. hopefully, one of those is bad also.

Also, if I want to test the actuator to see if I can manually put the truck in and out of 4WD, which actuator do I apply the 12v to? It seems that there are two actuators.. one at the back of the transfer case and one further up, on the front axle. Or am I confused?
Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: 4WD won't disengage on 99 4Runner LTD