See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:
Browse all: Toyota 4Runner 4WD - Four Wheel Drive Guides

Print Wikipost

4WD won't disengage on 99 4Runner LTD

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 11:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 4Runner ltd 4x4

I am hoping someone can help me out. I put my 2000 4runner into 4L and drove it up on ramps so that I could drop the trans oil pan and fish out a broken dipstick. I replaced the trans oil, filter and gasket and put back together. When I started the truck, I pressed the brake and shifted down through every gear. None of them seemed to be engaging. When I put it back into park, I got a grinding sound...several times. I also can not get it out of 4 wheel drive. the light is on, not blinking. I realized that I put more trans oil in than I had drained, so I drained about three quarters of a quart and tried again. Still can't get it out of 4x4. It acted strange, but I was able to get it into revers after two more tries and backed it off the ramp. Got the grinding again when putting back into park. Please advise...
Old 11-06-2012, 11:25 PM

...I forgot to mention that the AT/P light has been lit since I started it the first time.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:28 PM

Well... I guess I'm the newest victim of this bs system toyota designed. What the hell ever happened to levers and lock outs. Here's my story and it entertaining so read on. This system cost me the vehicle being totaled by insurance during sandy. I live a few hundred yards from the beach. Knew it was gonna flood but didn't move the truck in time the night before b/c it was blowing a gale and raining sideways. Woke up at 5am no flooding. Woke up at 6am ˟˟˟˟ its already up the the hubs. Knew I had to get it out right then or all would be lost. No big deal except the ˟˟˟˟ing 4wd wouldn't engage. Had no choice but to give it a go in 2wd. sand had already washed over the road. no i'm stuck. Let air out of tires and start digging frantically. water still isn't in the doors yet but waves of water are washing under the truck. The only thing that saved me was that I have the rear locker and actually engaged when I put it in low range but it was only 2wd low. Anyhow after alot of cussing and redlining the engine I finally got unstuck and got onto the pavement. But I knew the water was too deep to drive thru to get to saftey. So I took the only choice I had and floored it up onto a little dune. It worked b/c the water never came in the doors. Even though I got a foot in my house. It took 5 days for the water to subside but I was able to get the truck out by building a bridge out of debris to the beach and then drove down the beach until I could get to an unflooded road.

So anyway after all that and reading this thread I figured for sure it would be the front diff sensor. Pulled it tested it...it didn't zero out on my multimeter so I bought a new one. No dice. Checked the switches on the rear of the tcase. they zeroed out. I can't haven't tested the top ones yet b/c they are a pain in the ass to get out. I shorted out the actuator and it works properly if you do this.
So I guess my only option left is the top switches on the tcase. I examined the 4wd computer and it looks fine. Water never got to it.

So I guess my question is...has anyone ever had the top switches fail? water never got to these either.

Its a 99 limited and never had any problems before this.

I feel lucky that I saved it and luckier that geico totaled it and let me buy it back.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:56 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
You can probably get to the t-case switches at the top by removing the center console. I never had to get mine out as my front diff switch was the culprit, but I do have a brand new 4wd switch for a 99 if you need it, it's in my for sale thread.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:44 PM

Send 4wd picts to: jmkolls@aol.com thanks
Old 12-05-2012, 05:08 PM

99 I search under your username but couldn't find your for sale thread. Which one is the 4wd switch the one on the front diff?
Old 12-09-2012, 09:36 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f109...ds-etc-253619/
Old 01-30-2013, 10:02 AM

Hey I have a similar problem with my 01 Trd. Tried to go into 4wd and the indicator light just blinks. So far have tested the 4wd position switch which was good, the 4lo switch which was good also. I also jacked the front of the truck up and the front wheels turn independent of each other so I figure I'm in 2wd still I had someone drive the truck back and forth a bit and I see that the front shaft turns as the truck moves. I'm working on testing the actuators on the front and the transfer case and this is where I'm puzzled. I have a connector which is strait with 6 pins and my tech book shows one with two rows of three. Which pins should I test to see if it works or not ?
Old 01-30-2013, 10:30 AM

Does the front drive shaft turn by hand with the wheels on the ground? Have you tested the sensors?? As for what pins, check the previous pages.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:11 PM

The front shaft does not turn by hand with the wheels on the ground. I tested the actuators. The one on the front diff works when I jumped it. Works both ways in and out. The one on the transfer case does not work either way I put power to it. Does this mean it is the problem?
Old 01-30-2013, 12:14 PM

I tested the 4wd indicator sensor
Old 01-30-2013, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by johntnj
The front shaft does not turn by hand with the wheels on the ground. I tested the actuators. The one on the front diff works when I jumped it. Works both ways in and out. The one on the transfer case does not work either way I put power to it. Does this mean it is the problem?
You're stuck in 4wd not 2wd then (Im able to turn the front 4wd shaft by hand when greasing the zerks & it's turns freely in 2wd). By the sounds of it, yes.

Edit: have you test the sensors located on the tcase?

Last edited by osoquik; 01-30-2013 at 03:13 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:38 PM

I tested the 4 wd position switch and the button on the stick to turn the 4wd on. Both were good. I didn't test the 4lo sensor mainly because I couldn't reach it but ill try again tomorrow I also didn't test the speed sensor because I figured the speedo worked so I figured it was good but ill check that also. If it is the actuator on the t case does it just slip out or is that a full rebuild type of thing ?
Old 01-30-2013, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by johntnj
I tested the 4 wd position switch and the button on the stick to turn the 4wd on. Both were good. I didn't test the 4lo sensor mainly because I couldn't reach it but ill try again tomorrow I also didn't test the speed sensor because I figured the speedo worked so I figured it was good but ill check that also. If it is the actuator on the t case does it just slip out or is that a full rebuild type of thing ?
If it's the actuator, its a remove, crack open, replace & put it back together kind of thing. Better off buying a used t-case (w/ a warranty) & swapping them out. IMO

But I was referring to 84222B, 84222D, 84222 No. 1 & 2 (All located on the Transfer Case); two others to check are 84222E (Center Diff. Sensor) and 84222F is the (Front Diff. Sensor). Picture from a 00 LTD

To test them, just remove one sensor at a time, get your multimeter, set it to ohms of resistance (& continuity), placed the + on one terminal and - on the other, press in the sensor and check how much it reads (& see if it beeps). ohms should be 38-45 I want to say. I would test the Front diff & No. 1 & 2 first (easiest to get to) before anything else. GL

Name:  layout4runner.jpg
Views: 2055
Size:  96.7 KB
Old 01-30-2013, 07:26 PM

Thanks for you help with this. Ill check those sensors out and report back.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:23 AM

I checked the sensors. They all work. Only thing im trying figure out now is wires thinking a broke or short in wiring could be a problem before I start shopping for a t case. Do you possibly have a link or copy of the 4x4 wiring diagram? Everything I've found or have doesn't include the 4x4 so I can trace power, ground, etc.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:37 AM

It's possible that the wiring could be damaged but highly doubt it. Check the vacuum lines of the 4wd system for missing or leaky hoses.

Here's a diagram (Credit to 99SC4Runner)
http://gs157.photobucket.com/groups/t42/JEP5U3X44E/
Old 02-01-2013, 10:29 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
johntnj, in case you missed my posts a few pgs back, I was able to diagnose my problem all the way down to the actuator motor itself. In case you have not tried this, give it shot...it worked for me:

Here's a way to check your act motor - get a friend to sit in your driver's seat and start up your truck. Then have him shift the vehicle into DRIVE (just make sure he keeps one foot on the brake as to not drive over you). You crawl somewhat under the truck. Now using a small hammer, tap the electric actuator motor as your buddy pushes the 4WD button on the tcase shifter. If you can hear the actuator motor engage or disengage the actuator by hitting it with a hammer, then you'll know the act motor needs replacing.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:11 AM

Rockslide I didn't see that but I did try it. I went on the thought that its electric like a starter so give it a few taps and see if ya can squeeze one more out of it. It didn't work. While I was checking wires I don't seem to have juice to anything ( with the truck running, button in, button out, or any other combination ) to the plug for the actuator on the t case.
Anybody know which wire is the constant, power on, power off, etc ? Also having trouble finding the relay. Looked in the kick guard by the driver door but I don't see a relay just a black box and 2 wire harness connectors. Looked in glove box also, not there
Old 02-11-2013, 05:53 AM

So I'm still playing with this thing and still can't figure it out. I jumped the front actuator so the truck is in 4wd a few days ago so I could drive it with the snow we just got here in nj. Still can't get it out. The wire diagram that was posted for me was very helpfull. All the wires look good. I don't know if this means anything but checking with a test light I do not have juice going to the actuator on the t case with the button pressed on or off .

Quick Reply: 4WD won't disengage on 99 4Runner LTD