Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

4th Generation Potential

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2002, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 4th Generation Potential

Does the new 2003 Runner have any potential as a serious off-roader?
I recently moved from Kansas to Maryland and I found myself in a delimma. My Superduty is too big for the small historic town that I now live in and as much as I hate to say it, it time to find something smaller.
I've been eyeing the new 4Runners and despite their looks, I think that they are nice little rides. So my question to you all knowing Toyota folks: is this a platform that has the potential to be built into a good trail rig?
Thanks,
Old 11-09-2002, 07:45 PM

I think it depends on what exactly you want from the vehicle. As of yet IMO it seems that the complex suspension and because it is already a lower vehicle than its previous 3rd generations that it doesn't have a lot of room to modify the suspension in order to put bigger tires and raise it up high enough to be a formidable player in the serious off road catagory. However, if you are looking for a mild trail rig I think it will do well.

I have recently been able to look at the suspension it it does seem a little too low for my tastes and since you are starting with a lower vehicle already and want to preserve the CV's as much as possible I think the maximum height you will be able to put it at is around 11" which to me is not adequate and also this is the strarting point for most 3rd generation vehicles. If you want a serious trail rig look into a 3rd gen 4Runner or new Jeep Rubicon.

Just my .02

Cheers
Old 11-09-2002, 07:50 PM

C-DOG > Forget the 03 Runner. Get the H2 instead!

Old 11-09-2002, 08:17 PM

Originally posted by Whitey
C-DOG > Get the H2 instead!

I wouldn't blow 55K on a vehicle that was slapped together with parts that just happened to be laying around at the GM plant.
Old 11-09-2002, 10:12 PM

get a h2.
h2 pic
Old 11-10-2002, 05:21 AM

Originally posted by Beowulf
I wouldn't blow 55K on a vehicle that was slapped together with parts that just happened to be laying around at the GM plant.
Hey Wulf > I'm laughing my butt off at your comment. You like so many others are so misinformed. The stock H2 is the baddest bad ass on the road...and off-road! Check this link out.

http://www.elcova.com/h2/technology.htm

Old 11-10-2002, 07:08 AM

Thanks for the replys, however, the H2 is way out of my price range. And, since I'm trying to find something smaller than the rig I'm cruising in now the Baby Hummer doesn't really meet my needs. (I do think that it's a sweet ride though.)

Back to the 4Runner- Are companies such as OME or ARB going to be able to make aftermarket stuff tht can squeeze out some of the potential this platform has to offer?

I know that the Toyota Prado (the non US predecessor to the 2003 4Runner) is a darn capable vehicle with a decent set of aftermarket offerings. I'm just concerned that additions such as the Torsen diff, and the X-REAS might be difficult to design/work around.
Old 11-10-2002, 07:29 AM
CTB

If you are looking to build up a serious trail rig, you may try to find a 1st Gen 4Runner with a solid front axle...that would be a great starting point!
Old 11-10-2002, 08:56 AM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I recently saw Motor Trends SUV of the year episode on TV and it said that the new 4Runner was a very capable off-road vehicle, Corey can attest to that. As far as building it up, you will probably have to wait a few years for the after market to catch up. Consider getting a 3RD of 2ND Gen. 4Runner. There is a large market of parts out there and you can save alot off money on the vehicle and end up with more money for parts.
Old 11-10-2002, 09:45 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've read in Toyota documents that the X-REAS automatically disengages in transfer case Low range. It's designed to eliminate the anti-roll compensation to increase articulation.

Do you have links to Prado aftermarket stuff? It should be directly applicable to the '03, I'd guess.
Old 11-10-2002, 09:43 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It really depends on what kind of off roading you plan to do. Will it be a rock crawler, mudder, or general trail explorer? The new 4runner still has better ground clearance than most SUVs now-a-days and the traction control should get you through all but the worst trails.

My guess is that it will be some time before there are many aftermarket off road products for the new 4runner. But then again, since it's built on the prado there might be some things that already work on it. Only time will tell.

If you really need a true off roader, I would get any of the previous generations, with an '85 being the holy grail and the pre-2001 3rd gens with the rear locker being a close second place.

But, unless you are planning on full on rock crawling or something else hardcore, then almost any 4x4 with a solid rear axle and a low range will get you to where you want to go. Something else to consider is the previous generation of landcruiser. It has solid axles front and rear and optional front, center, and rear lockers.

Let us know if you have any more questions.

Steve
Old 11-10-2002, 11:54 PM

Originally posted by C-Dog
I'm just concerned that additions such as the Torsen diff, and the X-REAS might be difficult to design/work around.
That is my major concern as well. On one hand, some of the new technologies are nice but on the other I'm wondering if it will hinder performance modifications in other areas.

My biggest gripe is will somebody be able to get some decent clearance under the thing to make up for the approach/decent angles or is it getting too complex for a company to put the time and effort into designing such things? I know they will have things for it in Japan but most of that stuff does not make it stateside and if it does ... it cost big $$$.

As it stands now, I don't think there is a whole lot of choices for 3rd gen 4Runners as it is. Most performance suspension stuff used on 4Runners were actually designed for Tacomas and because 3rd Gen. 4Runners resemble Tacomas front suspension so closely, they just happen to fit. But now we are talking totally different setups, so now that the 4th Gen. suspension no longer resembles the Tacoma's, what are they going to do now?

I mean if companies weren't designing stuff for 3rd gen. 4Runners as it is, are they really going to take on an even more complex 4th Generation suspension?
Old 11-11-2002, 05:20 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by BT17R
I've read in Toyota documents that the X-REAS automatically disengages in transfer case Low range. It's designed to eliminate the anti-roll compensation to increase articulation.

Do you have links to Prado aftermarket stuff? It should be directly applicable to the '03, I'd guess.
Very cool, where did you read that???

What would be great is if in 4LO that not only did it disconnect the diagonally linked aspect but linked them side to side.
Old 11-11-2002, 05:32 AM
Contributing Member

Hey Wulf > I'm laughing my butt off at your comment. You like so many others are so misinformed. The stock H2 is the baddest bad ass on the road...and off-road! Check this link out.

Ut oh here we go again!

Like everyone else has said it all depends what you plan to do. I am sure there is going to be some aftermarket stuff available for the 03 but it may take some time.
Old 11-11-2002, 07:03 PM

Originally posted by UKMyers

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ut oh here we go again!

I know I didn't feel compelled to be drawn into Whitey's inaccurate H2 Babble that he spills out all over the place

I think he does it just to try and pick fights. He'll be back, I've owned 2 GM Trucks in my life before I started buying Japanese cars and I am not impressed with anything that carries the GM badge H2 or not.

Oh yea, one of the GM Trucks was a Tahoe which Whitey would not have you believe, but the fact is the H2 is based on this platform and I have never heard anyone call the Tahoe or Cadillac Escalade the baddest of the bad ass Also it is fact that there are a bunch of left over GM parts in that thing including of all vehicles the AZTEC

Last edited by Beowulf; 11-11-2002 at 07:40 PM.
Old 11-12-2002, 05:27 AM
Contributing Member

C-Dog, stick with the yota, I have a 1971 FJ40 and my Runner, aftermarket products is a pain for the Runner (02) not to mention what the 03 would be like. If you have never experienced the durability of an FJ40, check into it. They are virtually unbreakable. It's simple, compact and has the ability to carry what you want to wherever you want safely. Cheap and easy to fix, even by me. If you need more power , there are many mods including a number of v-8 configurations that can be easily done. Support, both moral and maintenance or perforamnce are readily available. Check out a few of them for sale on ebay. There are a bunch of them in the Northeast. BTW: if you purchase post 76 you'll have most of the modern upgrades, like discs, a/c, radio, buckets seats, etc.

PS: Whitey, check recent resale values of all vehicle makes and thats where you will identify where the quality is at!