Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

4running in the snow

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2003, 02:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Btw, where would be a good place to get a set of Revos for least $? I admit, my tires got 6/32 at best.
Old 12-14-2003, 02:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The difference between AWD and 4wd is a locked center differential. In both types, there are transfer cases. Generally, AWD's do not have low 4, but this is not what distinguishes them by any means. Without a locked center diff, variation in % of power sent (for example 30% front 70% rear, or vise versa) from axle to axle can occur, and thus allows slippage (like an open diff in your axle) between the front and rear axles. When in 4wd, there is no slip between the front and rear axles, and each axle gets 50% of the power. This is all good in most situations, but on the ice, when in true 4wd and the driveshaft is locked to the front and rear axles with no slipping allowed, the tires are what MUST slip whenever you go around a corner (as the front and rear axles will each take a separate path around the corner), where as in an AWD the center diff can take up the slack and you have not tires slipping on the ice, due to the mere fact that you went aroudn the corner. Now if you stand on it in AWD going around a corner or on a surface either one, you'll still get slippage just as in a 4wd. But the thing about ice, is that if you can maintain traction and not let the tires start sliding, you've won most the battle.

I have to agree about the ABS, sorta sucks. Nice thing is that when you hit the locker it automatically kicks it off. Bad thing is that if I try to use the locker in the ice, my ass end wants to come around.
Old 12-14-2003, 03:07 PM

Originally posted by 4RUNR
Btw, where would be a good place to get a set of Revos for least $? I admit, my tires got 6/32 at best.
Where abouts are you? If you're in Canada then Costco or Firestone or your local discount tire place. If your in the US, then Canada is the best place.
Old 12-14-2003, 03:20 PM

That's funny....I always thought my 4Runner ROCKED in the snow. A rear locking diff will actually HURT snow performance (unless you get stuck and THEN turn it on) especially if there is ice involved. A locker is NOT always a "good thing." I drove to Maryland from PA in a BLIZZARD...I maintained 56mph (cruise control) the whole way, even in 6" of snow (it was up almost to the hub) on the highway. I didn't slip or slide once. 4Runners are the ˟˟˟˟ in snow if you have 4wd. 2wd is just like any other truck....forget it unless you have good SNOW tires and some weight in the back! The pickup is crap in snow unless I put sandbags and take it easy on the throttle.
Old 12-14-2003, 03:28 PM

4wd

I agree with the comments on the 2wd in snow. We just got some snow here in Ont. and my rear end kicked out on every corner, but as someone already mentioned the rear is pretty light though.

I do have a couple of questions maybe you guys can help with.

1) How long should it take for the RR Diff lock to kick in once I have pushed the button? Also, how long after I disengage the button?

2) How fast do you guys drive in 4Hi and how fast can I go? What are the limitations as far as road conditions as well? I understand you are not suppose to use 4wd on hard surfaces..?? <--Comments.... Maybe some discussion on 4Lo as well.

Old 12-14-2003, 03:42 PM

SORRY I have no problems in the snow with my 92 4runner I have 33 BFG muds and I plow with it. It pushed 8 in of snow last sunday with no problems barely spinning the tires in 4 low.
Old 12-14-2003, 03:43 PM
Contributing Member

I drove my AWD Eclipse through 4 winters up in the Evergreen/Conifer area and except for anything much deeper than a foot the AWD went through it,you just had to beware of drifting piles since high centering is an issue.

In simpler terms of differences between AWD (or traction control)and 4WD is that when 4wd wheels start to spin they don't stop spinning til you modulate the throttle where with AWD the wheels that are starting to spin will receive less power and get grip again with no or just a slight lift of the throttle. Also has great results on the sandy roads around here during the winter months.

Plus in my AWD you could get the car in to a slide and keep the car at an angle and still drive straight,also an easy way to "drift" just like the rally cars.
I admit once the car was running Viper 1/4 mile times the car was a bit touchy with the bigger turbo and 18lbs of boost so in the winter I just turned it down to the almost stock 11psi.

Now the next thing in AWD technology is the ability to control the front/rear bias of the AWD which is a cool feature in the new WRX STi.
Old 12-14-2003, 06:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I admit once the car was running Viper 1/4 mile times the car was a bit touchy with the bigger turbo and 18lbs of boost so in the winter I just turned it down to the almost stock 11psi.
Amen. After the turbo swap, when driving in the snow i just shifted long before the boost came on to avoid breaking traction on accident.
Old 12-14-2003, 06:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by 4RUNR
I doubt you live in the tri-state area cause my tire guy get the tires from tirerack at the exact cost they list them for, no tax or shipping, mounted and balance with new valves, his brother does an alignment for 40bucks if you need it
Old 12-14-2003, 06:50 PM
Contributing Member

ya we got some snow here in kansas, around 8 inches. i had a blast with my new 33x12.5" M/T baha claws, my friend didnt have too much trouble either with his bmw 535 that he put stud tires on (which are illegal, lol)
Old 12-14-2003, 07:51 PM

No Probs here with the 4th gen-

Pulled a lady stuck in out of a ditch with her audi today in 4 hi and not a second of wheelspin...actually barely tapped the gas. 6-8 inches of snow back here in MT. Just got in from wheeling tonight and somehow ended up in a hole full of mud and about a foot of snow, walked her right out in 4 low. The 33"x12.5" Pro Comp Mud Terrains seem to be killer. Gonna add a 1-2 inch body lift so they have a little more room to play...still rubbing the frame slightly...does anyone know if RB has a 1" kit out yet for the 4th gens? any help would be great...later y'all.

Billy
Old 12-14-2003, 08:27 PM
lee
Contributing Member

i went through the horrible blizzard here in boston last week. we got about 19 inches.

i cant even begin to tell you how awesome my 4runner was. it never slipped, the vsc was there for me in the ice, and it plowed through the huge snow banks to get me into parking lots, into parking spots and up my driveway!

incredible machine.
Old 12-14-2003, 08:42 PM

These were the best tires I have ever driven on ice/snow in. I drove up Beech Mountain NC everyday to work when I lived in the NC mountains. Before my Runner I drove a fwd Lexus ES300 it had no problem as long as I had momentum. It lacked on clearence (lowered 2") but drove like a dream.

50k tread warrenty, severe weather rated (use in areas that require chains) and are relativly cheep
265/75R16 $137.99
285/70R16 $133.99
The Getting Shop
Old 12-15-2003, 05:16 AM

EDGE, actually I do. What zip code is that guy in? Say he has all 4 @ 120each. Will he charge me tax on top of that if I come in? It might be worth a drive in that scenario.
Old 12-15-2003, 05:25 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by X-AWDriver
In slick conditions nothing beats AWD
I agree with you, in slick and shallow snow, my Celica does a lot better than my 4Runner. But when it starts to get deep, my Celica is too low.

Overall my 4Runner does really good in the snow. On my drive to Oregon in Nov, I had it in 4WD for about 5 hours @ 45-55mph in deep snow and it did great!
Old 12-15-2003, 06:02 AM
lee
Contributing Member

i literally went down a street that had not been plowed after about 14 inches of snow had fallen. the runner didnt stop ONCE. it went straight through beautifully with little slippage.

maybe its my new tires
Old 12-15-2003, 06:34 AM

I love my '96 4Runner in the snow. It behaves normal for a RWD truck when in 2WD mode, it is, as someone mentioned earlier the 4Runner is really a pickup truck with a permanent cab over it. Some weight in the back will solve some of your traction issues. Kinda light in the rear.
But when you pop it in 4wd mode it shines. Got me easily through some of the worst Chicago blizzards in years past. This is a great vehicle.

Good tires will go a long ways with low traction conditions.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by goretro77; 12-15-2003 at 06:35 AM.
Old 12-15-2003, 06:48 AM

I bought a 4Runner for the 4WD (and for its sexy appearance)
We had a big snow last weekend and kept her in 4WD all weekend till the roads were dry-My first snow with the truck and Even with my baldy goodyears 4WD rocks. Finally got word that my new revos will be in tommorrow. I didn't realize there were 2wd 4runners till I was shopping for one. I don't see the point, thats like the car that has one side mirror and just am radio and no power steering. And shouldnt the 4Runner name be changed to 2Runner or something if its in 2WD?

-I dont have .02 cents--it went on gas.
Old 12-15-2003, 06:51 AM
lee
Contributing Member

i know.. it amazes me the abundance of 2wd runners thatre for sale. i guess that makes sense though -- why would anyone want to keep it?
Old 12-15-2003, 08:37 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by lee
i know.. it amazes me the abundance of 2wd runners thatre for sale. i guess that makes sense though -- why would anyone want to keep it?
Watch it,I get a little flack from teasing the 2wd truck crowd.

Quick Reply: 4running in the snow