Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3rd Gen Bumper Light Mod

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Works...but...

So I tried this mod tonight and let me start off by saying it is well worth the time and money. For about $20 and an hour's worth of work, you can greatly increase the appearance and safety of the front end of your truck. You can never have enough light up front in my opinion.

That being said, I followed the OP's directions word for word and found the wiring to be backwards. Everything worked as it should, until I turned the parking lights on. I used the same 7443 sockets from autoillumination.com, but used standard Sylvania Long Life bulbs. Upon wiring everything up, I found the turn signals blinking erratically, sometimes fast and bright, sometimes slow and dim. Various interior lights were also flashing and flickering with the signals.

Since the inconsistencies only occurred with the parking lights on, I assumed that there was an issue with the ground. After examining the socket closer, I decided to switch the ground and corner marker wires and BINGO! Everything works as it should. I don't know if anyone else has encountered this problem, but I found the correct wiring to be as follows:

Red/Blue from Socket to White/Black stripe from Turn Signal

Green/Yellow from Socket to Green/Yellow OR Grey/Black from Turn Signal

Black from Socket to Green in Corner Light

Again, I don't know what changed. Perhaps the sockets are being made differently than they once were? I actually had to modify the opening in my lamp assembly to accept the wider clips in the socket, contrary to the OP's original write up. Another contributing factor could be the difference in bulbs. Finally, but unlikely, maybe the wiring in our trucks varies from year to year (mine is a 2000)?? Again, seems unlikely, but who knows.

Either way, this is a GREAT, cheap mod and hopefully this write up will help others that attempt this install. Thanks to the OP for the concept! Goodluck!

Last edited by chade617; 09-24-2011 at 07:23 PM.