Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 01:11 PM
Contributing Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
I assume you mean the 4Crawler Offroad shifter extension:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...it.shtml#FAQ12

As noted in the installation instructions:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...tml#SL_ScrewOn

That style extension is intended for use on "simple" shift levers with just have a passive knob screwed onto the end of the shifter. If you have a shifter with buttons and switches that require wiring, likely that extension will not work, as-is. One possibility is to drill out the center of the extension to allow for wiring to pass inside if that is how the existing shifter is set up. Otherwise, it is not required that the extension be used with the lift. If not needed, the extension may be returned for credit:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...t.shtml#FAQ9_4
Old 03-07-2006, 01:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
You got a reason for this statement? Such a "blanket" statement is incorrect on many levels, i.e. experience, mechanical structure/stability and Roger Brown.
There will always be people that disagree but you pretty much nailed it. Higher (abnormal) center of gravity = "structure/stability" issues.
Old 03-07-2006, 02:28 PM
Contributing Member

Of all forms of lifting a truck, a body lift results in the least impact on center of gravity. One may argue with the percentages, but assume the body of a vehicle weighs 25% of the total weight, engine/drivetrain/frame perhaps 60% and the suspension/running gear the the remaining 15%. A 1" body lift raises the CG by 1/4" (only 25% of the vehicle mass is raised the lift height), a 1" suspension lift raises 85% of the mass 1", or the CG rises by 0.85". 2" taller tires (1" lift) result in a 1" change in CG. So taking say a 2" susp + 2" body lift results in a lower CG than say a full 4" susp or 3" susp+1" body lift.

But as noted on the web page, lift as much as you need but as little as possible:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...it.shtml#FAQ10

No rule says you must have a body lift. If you can get by with no body lift, great. If you find that you have tires rubbing after installing an expensive suspension lift, then your choices are to scrap the lift and buy a taller one, dig out the SawZall and start cutting fenders or put on a mild body lift. All will work, chose what works for you. If 1" works, great, if you need 2", well then you need 2", etc.

I've run a 3" body lift for many years now, but I only run the easy trails like the Hammers, Rubicon, Dusy, Moab I used to run no lift then 1" body lift and I find no difference in CG that I can feel between all the heights I have run. Sure there probably is some, but nothing I can feel seat of the pants. I have also raised my drivetrain up intop the frame rails, which the taller lift afforded me (and was the main reason for going taller). This all allows me to run a softer, more flexible, lower lift spring and smaller tire than I would need for similar ground clearance. So this helps keep the CG lower and the vehicle more stable on the trail. I find my rig is much more stable now w/ the 3" body + soft suspension than it was when I first lifted it w/ springs only and no body lift. The stiff springs led to lots of 3-wheeling action where the whole side of the truck would drop into a hole instead of just the one wheel.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:25 AM
Contributing Member

In your type of wheeling i can see exactly where your coming from but what i'm talking about is all the people the use their 3rd gen 4runner as a daily driver/family hauler and want a 2" BL for looks... IMO it's flat out stupid and unsafe.
Old 03-08-2006, 12:15 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by rocket
what i'm talking about is all the people the use their 3rd gen 4runner as a daily driver/family hauler and want a 2" BL for looks... IMO it's flat out stupid and unsafe.
I fall into this category... I just don't drive like an idiot. I still disagree with this blanket statement, but I still think you're cool Rocket.

Old 03-08-2006, 12:55 PM
Contributing Member

Yes, some folks just lift for looks, in fact I imagine those folks are in the majority considering how many lifted trucks you see compared to how many you see actually go off-road. If you look at the CG difference between a 1" and 2" body lift, it is probably the same as a year of tread wear off your tires vs. new tires.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by rocket
In your type of wheeling i can see exactly where your coming from but what i'm talking about is all the people the use their 3rd gen 4runner as a daily driver/family hauler and want a 2" BL for looks... IMO it's flat out stupid and unsafe.
What about Us Doods that got the 1.5 inch Body lifts??
Old 06-12-2010, 02:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
just jumping an old thread as it seems this is a popular lift option. 4crawler backed up about 5-6 weeks at this time per website announcement:

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...BodyLift.shtml

To me that is always a good sign that a vendor is busy as it means people value their products.

What advantage is the higher priced Polyurethane blocks please? I realize it is a different block material but what does that mean to the newly lifted?

I realize Roger is a busy guy and if others of you selected that option I would value your opinion on the value of Ultimate Lift Blocks/HD Hardware as well.

I am considering a simple 1" lift with Kit D plus HD Hardware and SE (steering shaft extension). Anything I am forgetting guys being a 5 speeder and not caring about the color of the blocks? The options are a bit intimidating to the mechanically impaired.

I will let my good friends of IRBIS OFF ROAD/QUALITY AUTO do the install for me as they will do it right the first time...

I've yet to read of any negative issues with a body lift from 4crawler- are there any out there? Yes I am searching, that is how I found this thread. Thank you.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:26 PM

I just received my 1" lift from 4crawlers and it took about a week and a half to get after ordering. Thought it would've been longer. I'll install the end of next week.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:07 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
I keep them in stock.
http://www.wabfab.org/1996-2002-4Run...ypage.tpl.html

Old 06-12-2010, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
good to know.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:34 AM

I'm selling a 4Crawler 1.5" lift w/steering extension. Took me about 5 weeks to get it earlier this year.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:50 AM

PM sent -let's check if we are comparing 3rd gen Runners and so on. thanks guys for chiming in.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:52 PM

found my own answer regarding PolyUrethane-that is for the body mounts and not the lift blocks...

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...l#PolyBushings

just had to read Roger's website more thoroughly to get the whole story. Whew I need to talk this over with my experts here in town....
Old 06-14-2010, 08:45 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Ron,

I have a 1" body lift from 4Crawler, that I took off my truck, and am looking to sell it. PM me if you are interested.

Thanks,
Old 06-14-2010, 10:21 AM

thanks Bandit but an 01-02 set up is different than a 97-00 thanks for the offer anyways. I will let others know about your sale though.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ron Helmuth
thanks Bandit but an 01-02 set up is different than a 97-00 thanks for the offer anyways. I will let others know about your sale though.
Just FYI, I bought "Midget's" BL that he purchased for his 96' and put it on my 02' w/o any problems.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:11 AM

Mauzer -nice... glad that all worked out. Thanks for your help in getting me moving on recent radiator replacement sir. Your threads/writeups got me going on that for my friends 01 Limited.

I went with the poly body mounts also and it should be here in a week or less. Plus I wanted Heavy Duty hardware (my Irbis Off Road buddies recommended it).
Old 07-08-2010, 07:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ron Helmuth
Mauzer -nice... glad that all worked out. Thanks for your help in getting me moving on recent radiator replacement sir. Your threads/writeups got me going on that for my friends 01 Limited.

I went with the poly body mounts also and it should be here in a week or less. Plus I wanted Heavy Duty hardware (my Irbis Off Road buddies recommended it).
No problem, everyone on this forum has helped me so much, I'm glad I could contribute. Good luck with the next mod, the BL is simple just take your time and use lots of PB Blaster!
Old 07-08-2010, 10:39 PM

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts
I just got my 1" BL from 4Crawler on about a week ago. Very great product and it shipped within a few days! Easy to put on too! I just went with the body lift and the steering shaft extension. No need to get the radiator bracket if you're doing the 1", just have to slide off the shroud at the bottom which is held on by 2 clips. I have some pictures in my build up thread of the before and after.

Quick Reply: 3rd gen 4runner body lift question