Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3.4L with 1st Gen SC High Idle and No top end power

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 06:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thats interesting about the fuel trims. When did you last do a reset of the ECU? I also think you REALLY need to get a wideband on it. Look at your fuel state next time and see what it is doing. At WOT it should be in OPEN loop. If, as you say your throttle is only going to 74% (I assume you were talking about throttle position) then it may not be getting into open loop. so maybe its a TPS issue? I dont really know, Im just thinkin out loud here. Ill have to see what my throttle position says at WOT. Ill try and look later today if it will help you.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:28 AM

yea i was talking about throttle position....9% when im off throttle and 74% when i am WOT.

again where can i pick up a wideband o2? best brand? website?

and i will have someone drive the beast today and ill watch it more carefully today and ill make sure to check the fuel state....that's one thing i did not check.....so closed until im WOT then should change to open?

thanks for your help guys...im flustered for sure....another bit of info.....the ecu and harness are from 2001....and motor is a 98.....is it possible toyota made some changes to the tps and the ecu is not getting the correct info???

just a thought
Old 07-07-2009, 06:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes,
2001-2002 was drive by wire throttle body.
1996-2000 has a regular cable throttle body system
Old 07-07-2009, 07:01 AM

hmmmm must have change maybe mid year in 2001?

because if thats the case i would a different plug for my tps correct? or an extra plug? which i dont.....and im throwin zero codes.....

i know toyota loves changing things mid year so maybe i have an early 2001?

because i have zero extra plugs....
Old 07-07-2009, 07:11 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by b18vteceg

im going to pick up a new fuel filter and install the 3.4l fuel pump i have.....
As long as you're going to the trouble of replacing the FP why not get one that's rated for the job at hand? Walbro 190 is what I'd use, do it right and do it once.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:20 AM

A tps was still on the 2001 engine though it is a "non-replaceable" part, so a connector is still present though the part is different. And from what I have read the cable on the 01-02 is only for a "limp-home" safety precaution. Your ECU, which is an 01 may be looking for extra info?
Pic of the 2001 in post 9.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/t...-runner-86544/
Old 07-07-2009, 07:27 AM

ya goat that was the same thought i had so i did not install the 3.4 pump.....i did change the filter tho....and when i get some money together ill be picking up the urd 7th injector kit....

i have talked to many people with the sc swap in their mid 90s truck and they are all still running their stock pumps and dont have this issue so even tho i dont think this will solve my current problem i do understand it needs to be done and will be....

and in the pick my throttle body for sure doesnt look like that....obviously its a 98 so it shouldnt.....but if its fly by wire shouldnt my harness have a plug to run the electronic motor to open and close the butterfly?

maybe it is looking for more info but i would assume if its not getting the info it wants especially from a TPS sensor it would throw a code.....
Old 07-07-2009, 08:34 AM

alright took my son to daycare and on the way back took some side roads and was able to get some more accurate info and a little more realtime.

first off let me start by saying i hit 70 mph in 3rd gear around 5200 rpms....and the motor flat stop pulling....i mean the speed or rpms would not go any higher.....it was trying but just wouldnt.....

-Throttle pos % 9.4 at idle 74.9 at WOT when im coasting to a stop off the throttle i have an open loop for fuel and when im WOT i have a open loop other than that its closed

-Engine load % is 15 ish at idle and around 70% WOT

-Temp Deg F is solid at 189

-Timing Adv. Deg 15.5 at idle (bounces a little) and 31.5 at WOT (this seems VERY advanced but maybe not) i have never seen my timing under 15.5 driving it bounces from 20 to 30

-Air Temp, Deg F 77 (was colder when i first started it)

-Air Flow, lb/min 0.6 ish at idle and 10.0 at WOT.....never went above this seems to be around 3 or 4 when cruising

-Trim % Short Term seems to be around 0 to 4 while idling....15ish while cruising and at WOT goes to 0 in a hurry and wont change until i get off throttle

-Trim % Long Term seems to be around 9 at idle....27 to 29 while cruising and drops to 8ish in WOT

i never see negative % for either trim...

i hope this helps you guys a little to see wtf is going on....tonight when i get home from work ill do another test run but ill make a video of the data in realtime so you can actually watch what im watching.....maybe something will rear its nasty face to someone.....
Old 07-07-2009, 09:29 AM

Your fuel state sounds right. But those fuel trims look funny to me. That positive i would say you need fuel mods for sure. So that is part of the problem. But im not sure it explains the high rpm issue your having.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:03 PM
Contributing Member

Your fuel trims tell a lot about how lean you are running. That's prolly why your losing power and not getting closer to red-line.
Injector upgrade needed is my guess, you might be able to use some non-turbo Supra injectors. I think they flow @ 308 or 305 cc URD's flow @ 318 and I think stock 3.4 are around 240cc. My buddy is using the supra injectors plus the supra fuel pump on his Supercharged 3.4 with a smaller pulley and they are working great without a piggy back. Maybe you can find em at a good price.

Your Maf is also reporting correctly to the ECU, mine also reports 74.9% at WOT. One thing that stikes me odd about your readings is the Long term fuel Trim. I don't or cant remember mine changing values that fast on the fly just the short term fuel trims. I thought the long term was an average reading over a time frame.
Anyways here is a pic of some info from a Toyota training Manual. I tried to copy the text from the PDF but it was locked so I just did a screen capture.
Good Luck.

Old 07-07-2009, 03:16 PM

ok so let me be devil's advocate....

why am i having this issue without the charger on?
Old 07-07-2009, 03:34 PM
Contributing Member

ok so let me be devil's advocate....

why am i having this issue without the charger on?
Chit, I do remember you pulled the charger off. Your still running lean though. I see you tried other injectors already. What about the fuel pump ?
Do your Oxy sensors match your ECU ?
I have to wonder if your issue is also related to the high idle.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:43 PM

Man I forgot this was a swap, and that you pulled the SC. In that case, Can you post up some more detail on what year your components (motor, ECU, O2 sens, MAF, etc)are from and if they are Tacoma or 4runner? As you have started to find out there are some slight differences between years and even between models in the same year that can cause troubles. Look at this thread: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/3...needed-184571/

His was the wrong MAF, IIRC.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:54 PM

-ecu, motor harness, maf, evap box and sensors all came from same truck (2001 Tacoma)

if you guys really need i can give you part numbe

-motor and manifold came from 1998 Toyota 4runner

-only thing i am sketch about is the o2 sensors....i know they are oem.....and one came from my 98 and other came from the 01 truck....they both have short pigtails and to be honest i dont know which is which....
Old 07-07-2009, 08:17 PM

are either truck that the O2 sensors came from a cali model? I would start looking at those. I know cali models and some of the other trucks after 2000 (I think) started using a wideband O2. Also I believe the front and rear O2 may be different. So if you got those two swapped it may do funny things (I dont know this firsthand though)
Old 07-08-2009, 03:51 AM
Contributing Member

My 2001 Taco uses a air/fuel ratio sensor in front, not an O2 sensor.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:52 AM

neither were cali models.....

if the ecu was lookin for a air/fuel ratio sensors and had a standard o2 sensor then wouldnt it throw codes?

are there part numbers on the sensors themselves?
Old 07-08-2009, 10:17 AM
Contributing Member

neither were cali models.....

if the ecu was lookin for a air/fuel ratio sensors and had a standard o2 sensor then wouldnt it throw codes?

are there part numbers on the sensors themselves?
I'm not sure, but you would think so.

I don't remember seeing any numbers.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:27 AM

ill take both sensors out and snap some pics of them.....maybe somethin will show up with you guys....
Old 07-08-2009, 11:16 AM

http://www.customtacos.com/forum/sho...27#post1610027
I bought the WEGO IV, it's a wideband / data logger, so you hookup the tach signal, boost/vacuum (need digital sender) TPS and log data for 2 hours so you can tune afterwards / see if it does anything weird.

Quick Reply: 3.4L with 1st Gen SC High Idle and No top end power