Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

the 3.0 saga continues

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the 3.0 saga continues

i decided to at least try and start the motor tonight, figured if it ran, then when i pulled it to fix the leaking freeze plugs, i wouldnt be worried about fixing other things. anyways, i turned the key and the engine would turn over, the starter sounded strong, but it wont fire. ive checked all electricaL connections 3 times, the vacume lines and fuel system. I pulled the wire off the coil to see if there was a spark, and there was none. Where should i start looking to get spark. neither me or my dad has ever tried resurecting a motor with fuel injection, or this type of set up. should i try replacing the coil and see if that does it, or where would some of you start. thanks for the help
Old 09-23-2004, 04:06 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Home: Aurora, CO; Work: The People's Republic of Denver
Silly question, but is this a distributorless ignition system? If so, the spark controller could be bad. If not, could be a bad distributor component. Either way, the coil is also a good place to start, especially if the engine hasn't been started in a while. Just remember how much useless wire you've pulled out of the truck so far and how long the truck could have sat letting the good factory wires deteriorate.

Not a 3.slow expert by any means, but those are my suggestions.
Old 09-23-2004, 09:34 PM
Contributing Member

Start with the easy stuff. Check the fuses first...mainly the efi fuse.
Old 09-24-2004, 01:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by runnerboy97
i decided to at least try and start the motor tonight, figured if it ran, then when i pulled it to fix the leaking freeze plugs, i wouldnt be worried about fixing other things. anyways, i turned the key and the engine would turn over, the starter sounded strong, but it wont fire. ive checked all electricaL connections 3 times, the vacume lines and fuel system. I pulled the wire off the coil to see if there was a spark, and there was none. Where should i start looking to get spark. neither me or my dad has ever tried resurecting a motor with fuel injection, or this type of set up. should i try replacing the coil and see if that does it, or where would some of you start. thanks for the help
Greetings,
Since you have no spark you need to check your coil and ignitor, this is a good place to start. Check for spark at the distributer or sparkplugs.
Also take your distributer cover off and make sure that your rotor button is turning, if not your t-belt snapped. Check your grounds on the ignitor and coil.
* Harry *
Old 09-24-2004, 07:11 AM

im gonna go check all the fuses again. i had my parts guy order me a new coil/ignitor, gonna start there. the rotor is turning inside the cap. might try replacing the rotor, cap and all those goodies next.
Old 09-24-2004, 02:29 PM

found a bad wire that went from the ignition to the coil, replaced it. the engine will start, but idles real rough and keeps stalling at anything below about 1100 rpms. it runs better with the distributer turned all the way clockwise, but i think it nees to go a little more, guess i need to move it just a tooth or 2 on the gear. my question is, which way is advanced and which is retarded.
also i think i found the source of my water leak, but i have to check it out tomorrow. i think its the pipe that comes out of the block underneath the intake. i think the valley between the heads is filling with coolant, and then flowing over out the back casue of the angle the truck is sitting. so im gonna just pull the intake and take a look.
Old 09-24-2004, 02:33 PM

oh and the 3.0 sounds pretty good with no exhaust.
kinda loud in the cab. but sounds good.
Old 10-02-2004, 05:59 PM

thought id update this, pulled the passenger side head this afternoon, took one look at the back of it and realized the problem. the bottom freeze plug was no more. no wonder coolant was pouring out of the engine. gonna order up some new freeze plugs on monday, so i hope tho have the truck fully drivable by friday.