Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3.0 head gasket

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 09:38 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey...on my truck I went with the NWOR one that came with the headers mainly due to time constraints trying to get my truck done...it works great and has taken a pretty good beating with no leaks but I may rework it to get more clearence. My dad is getting one custom made to go with ihs NWOR headers. I dunno about Downey making the best headers I've heard bad things about em, but I 've heard bad things about NWORs service...from experience I can say that I've never had a problem with their service and have been quite helpful whenever I needed it. My dad knows one of the guys there and now that they don't have the retail store anymore the guy will pick up stuff for my dad and meet him somewhere wo that we don't have to pay shipping ( we live about 2 miles from their warehouse). Its your call, the quality on the NWOR headers look to be very good and they don't leak and they fit well (no clearence issues at all) but again these are just my experiences. I like the plugs dunno if i noticed much but they seem to burn cleaner (less crap in my exhaust pipe) and I'm sure they'd work better if I fed em some more power...also look into Jacobs ignition they dynoed an 3vze and got like 8hp just with their ignition setup.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:42 AM

Try these guys http://www.orientengine.com/ $1999 exchange 3yr unlimted miles. My cousin had one installed and run great!
Old 08-21-2005, 09:44 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by trx125
Try these guys http://www.orientengine.com/ $1999 exchange 3yr unlimted miles. My cousin had one installed and run great!
Well I had a lead on them about 2 hours ago...done got back to me thru email and that is the place I'm going with. I like it because their price covers all shipping. Is your cousin located here in Virginia? I know a guy that works at performance curve that told me his brother got a motor from them and is very satisfied.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:50 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Silver_Truck
Hey...on my truck I went with the NWOR one that came with the headers mainly due to time constraints trying to get my truck done...it works great and has taken a pretty good beating with no leaks but I may rework it to get more clearence. My dad is getting one custom made to go with ihs NWOR headers. I dunno about Downey making the best headers I've heard bad things about em, but I 've heard bad things about NWORs service...from experience I can say that I've never had a problem with their service and have been quite helpful whenever I needed it. My dad knows one of the guys there and now that they don't have the retail store anymore the guy will pick up stuff for my dad and meet him somewhere wo that we don't have to pay shipping ( we live about 2 miles from their warehouse). Its your call, the quality on the NWOR headers look to be very good and they don't leak and they fit well (no clearence issues at all) but again these are just my experiences. I like the plugs dunno if i noticed much but they seem to burn cleaner (less crap in my exhaust pipe) and I'm sure they'd work better if I fed em some more power...also look into Jacobs ignition they dynoed an 3vze and got like 8hp just with their ignition setup.
How much were the headers thru them? I saw Downey's were $393 Isn't the Jacobs ignition used in conjunction with a higher flowing motor for gaining them results? Kinda bombarding ya with questions but I want to get this straightened out before I start this project.
Old 08-21-2005, 10:22 AM
Contributing Member

Here's the Jacobs dyno test page: http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/reviews/jacobs/ thats over the stock stuff. The NWOR ones are $444.95 but this is last years catalog so I dunno if they're the same, I think so tho. No problem on the questions, I'll try and help ya with whatever other ones you have.
Old 08-21-2005, 10:36 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Silver_Truck
Here's the Jacobs dyno test page: http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/reviews/jacobs/ thats over the stock stuff. The NWOR ones are $444.95 but this is last years catalog so I dunno if they're the same, I think so tho. No problem on the questions, I'll try and help ya with whatever other ones you have.
Yeh I caught that test page on another forum a few minutes ago. Pretty impressive stuff for a plug and play. Saw it for $200 on ebay too. Wow them headers aren't cheap! Just had someone say why don't I get a head gasket kit from auto zone for a quick fix. Its hard explaining to redneck half assers the situation you are in and you don't want this stuff going out again in a few months! They are used to the little beater cars and junk they fix when it leaves them stranded on the side of the road.
Old 08-21-2005, 10:57 AM
Contributing Member

that liquid metal from schucks is high quality though just pour some metal shavings and water into your oil and coolant and it'll fix her right up That Jacobs system is quite impressive though, I'm suprised they have it on ebay. I know the headers aren't cheap they are definately a pretty penny, I think they're one of the best additions to my truck other then the valves performance wise tho.
Old 08-21-2005, 11:02 AM
Contributing Member

you got any pics of your headers installed? Would like to see the clearance you got going on there.
Old 08-21-2005, 11:12 AM
Contributing Member

here's one of the crossover ...I'll go outside in a minute and snap a couple for ya
Old 08-21-2005, 11:19 AM
Contributing Member

Nice....really appreciate it man. Did NWOR supply you with the EGR and Reed valve piping?
Old 08-21-2005, 11:23 AM
Contributing Member

the bungs are welded on but you use the stock EGR and reed valve you can kinda see it in this pic:
Here's a couple of ones from today:

Old 08-21-2005, 11:28 AM
Contributing Member

Well thats definately an improvement and more user friendly that Downey's. Do you have any issues with the collector leaking? Did these reduce your temperature a little? Well they are a nice purdy chrome color I'm just wondering how far I got to relocate the tranny cooler for this.
Old 08-21-2005, 11:37 AM
Contributing Member

Nope no leaks at all...well I gues I have one leak but thats where the cat meets the crossover and my cat is f-ed up so its not the headers fault. The only time I get up to half way on the temp gauge now is when I have to sit still for a while in warm weather other then that I hover right around 1/4 on the gauge. you can see in the wheelwell picture the only modification I had to do to fit em, zip tie the fuel line to the brake line, other then that they slid right in once I figured out how to do it...no cooked carpet or speedo cables either...defiantely a nice purdy brown chrome