Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3.0 with 3.4 power? Build up in progress - donations needed!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 09:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan_90SR5

seafarinman- I posted about the headers some time back, you might have missed it, but yes, that is a great plus in my book. Plus the use of the supercharger. I'm unsure about the supercharger though right now. I might be leaning towards a well tuned turbo after being involved in another post about remote turbos. I'm not looking at remote mounting, but the dyno results for the same amount of boost really got me. It's amazing how much power it takes to move that supercharger.
U are going to put a remote turbo on? Please dont tell me one of those STS turbos as that would just be a pointless setup on your truck.
The TRD S/C has been used to push out ALOT of power out of stock engines...For me going from 150whp stock to 250+whp right now and the torque is unbeleavable. Yes the s/c robs power but the amount it puts back in is awsome. No lag due to positive displacment s/c.
Anyway thats my .02
Old 09-14-2004, 11:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
he said he WASNT going to do a remote mount turbo...he specifically said that too.

Sorry but imo the TuRD blower is a waste of money. For 3G you only gain what, 50hp with no mods? With fuel delivery mods (up to 4G now) what, 100hp?

With 3G in turbo, custom mandrel bent piping, intercooling, and all the other goodies you can gain WELL over 100hp...
Old 09-14-2004, 12:40 PM

I'm just considering a turbo right now and I'd talk to the people at Garret before I put one on. And again, no, not a remote mount. Where I live there isn't much crawling to be done and I think the remote mount might be ok for that if it works as well as people claim. My 4Runner will see more mud than anything and possibly the occasional trip to Tellico.

I'm still really undecided at this point what I'm going to do. I'm worried about everything that I've read about the TRD supercharger. And on the other hand worried about a turbo getting messed up by mud and water. I might even consider a paxton supercharger since I'd be able to use an intercooler with it and solve alot of the problems with the TRD kit. I believe on top of poor fuel supply that heat is the cause of the detonation. Who knows, maybe I'll just stay the course and got with the TRD supercharger just for the sakes of showing that this project is a mini-5VZ-FE.
Old 09-14-2004, 04:00 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Toysrme
I'm rebuilding my 3vz-fe after a DIY port and polish throttlebody, intake air chamber, ACIS, intake manifold, heads.

Full 3vz-fe gasket set is on ebay for 120. it's $140 shippped. (just bought mine cause my head gaskets were leaking anyways) Quality seems OK...

3vz-fe heads don't "flow" better, they're larger. 3.4L becomes a 4L engine. However, anyone doing a head swap that won't port and polish themselves, or pay $250-$300 for a shop to do it is crazy. 3vz-fe heads from a good shop should see a 25% performance gain. I know of one that had a high end port and polish w 3-angle valve job that got 240hp on nothing but a muffler, intake and timing advance. From what we know about that particular engine. That equated to about 40hp.

So before you put it all back together, port & polish the 3vz-fe heads, and block the EGR. (if you're not scared of emmesions testing) You can loose 5-10hp over the mid-high range every 10,000 miles from the stupid EGR caking black mess from your TB all the way down your intake.

Sorry I'm long winded and reiderating myself.
My question is, is the 3VZ-FE distributorless ignition? the 5VZ-FE is. do the valve covers from a 5VZ-FE bolt right on to 3VZ-FE heads? the ignitors for the 5VZ-FE bolt to the passenger side valve covers.
Old 09-14-2004, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by 914runner
My question is, is the 3VZ-FE distributorless ignition? the 5VZ-FE is. do the valve covers from a 5VZ-FE bolt right on to 3VZ-FE heads? the ignitors for the 5VZ-FE bolt to the passenger side valve covers.
Yes, the Camry uses a mecanical distributor. I explained a few posts back how you could actually use the stock 3VZ-E ECU with the 5VZ-FE engine by using the 3VZ-FE ignition. I'd have to say that you'll have to do some work to figure out the sensors, but if you wait till I'm done, I'll have that all figured out for everyone. I know what I'm doing is not the same, but I honestly didn't think of this route until Cebby has been brainstorming and trying to get as much displacement and HP as he can, lol. My project will help people go with an easier 3.4L that can be done in one weekend (alot easier than the current option) is you don't rebuild or rebuild before hand. Or people can stick it out with their current engines and do what I'm doing. This will mean more down time, but might come out cheaper. The bottom line is that this project will give people options that they don't have now.

I know that I was a bit long winded in my answer, but wanted to try to explain it all.
Old 09-14-2004, 07:32 PM

Old 09-16-2004, 04:28 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Dan you might be interested in this thread over on 4x4wire: http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showfl...t=1#Post593460
EB has an interesting theory on the 3.slow.
Old 09-16-2004, 07:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Better breathing.... Dan's on the right track!!
Old 09-16-2004, 09:17 AM

I was pleased to see that my fame has spread over to 4x4wire also. It was on the first page of posting and surprisingly not by Mt. Goat.

And yes, Cebby, I think that I'm right too. If you notice the engines and hp specs that the one guy posted for engine of the 3VZ-Es era.......they're all engine with 2 valves per cylinder. He also commented on the Camry engine not making enough power, but 35HP really is alot. I think with the Camry heads, the 5VZ-FE intake (which is alot less restrictive) and some headers.....this engine will be making the expected amount of HP. I'd say between 190-200HP. Not bad when you compare it to the 5VZ-FE.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:07 AM

After reading all of that I disagree with what some of the people were saying. Mostly the negative ones, like the guy ranting about OBDII.......most people that are into modding cars hate the OBDII system. It tries to over correct for mods and ends up giving you less HP than you should be getting. That's one reason why the 3VZ should put out just as much power as the 5VZ-FE. That's also why possibly doing the 3.4L swap my way might make more HP than the stock engine in a newer 4Runner/Tacoma/T100. I could be way off on that though because of the mechanica ignition.

Anyway, I think that my way of doing the 3.4L swap will be the easiest......or should I say mine and Cebby's way of doing it since he made me think of doing it that way. Or the head swap that I'm doing are the best ways to get performance out of the older Toyotas.

Time will tell.
Old 09-16-2004, 12:09 PM

The stock 5Vz-fe is stock limited by the damn OBDII....however...throw a smt6 on it or something and tweak the settings a bit and your freeing up about 10-20hp to put you around 200-210crank.... orrrr you could go stand alone ....more on that

I cant wait to see the results of your swap
Old 09-18-2004, 12:40 PM

Cool

Welp after the hurricane and 3 days without cable I'm back. Weasy2k I didn't pick up much from leaning out my a/f ratio stock like your 5vz-fe's do. Go figure. I guess ours (mine) was closer than what the 5vz-fe is.

Forget any type of "singh escque" design in our combustion chamber. No room for it.

Pistons

Valves/Combustion Chamber

Angle shot of the above for depth perception

As is obvious, there is just no room to cut into the heads. Unless someone wants to make some O.S. valves, that are thicker then swap to stronger springs. That way you could groove the valves too hah! (Aint gonna happen, but interesting idea)
Old 10-08-2004, 04:51 PM
Contributing Member

I haven't heard anything on the 3.0 modification in a while. Is there anything new to report or did it go to a new thread and I am missing it.
Thank you
Old 10-08-2004, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by jerbear
I haven't heard anything on the 3.0 modification in a while. Is there anything new to report or did it go to a new thread and I am missing it.
Thank you
No, you haven't missed anything.......the machine shop has been a saga. The engine is being balanced and blueprinted. This is taking forever, so I have no idea when it's going to be done.

The other obsticle is the timing. I have the upper timing bracket for a 5VZ-FE.......I'm not sure that it'll work. I need to get my hands on one from a 3VZ-FE and see if that will work. I think it's different since the pulleys themselves are different. Maybe that will be the key. I'm going to ask a friend if he can get his hands on one. It's a pretty odd part to get in a salvage yard.
Old 10-08-2004, 07:52 PM

upper timing bracket? what's that?

Can you not just use the 3vze cam gears on the camry DOHC heads to keep the same belt?
Old 10-08-2004, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Bumpin' Yota
upper timing bracket? what's that?

Can you not just use the 3vze cam gears on the camry DOHC heads to keep the same belt?
Ok, I'll try to explain this the best I can. I will be using the cam gears for the 3VZ-FE heads. That isn't where the problem lies though. In the timing system on these engines, you have the crank gear....the tension pulley.....the first cam gear.....the upper idler pulley.....the second cam gear.....the water pump and back down to the crank gear.

Now with that much explained, here is the problem. The upper idler pulley. On the 3VZ-E, the upper idler pulley mounts to the intake. On the 3VZ-FE and 5VZ-FE, it bolts to the block. The one for the 5VZ-FE doesn't look like it will work. I need one for the 3VZ-FE to see if it will work.

I hope you can visualize all of that. It's kind of hard to explain.
Old 10-08-2004, 08:35 PM

Ok, I'll try to explain this the best I can. I will be using the cam gears for the 3VZ-FE heads. That isn't where the problem lies though. In the timing system on these engines, you have the crank gear....the tension pulley.....the first cam gear.....the upper idler pulley.....the second cam gear.....the water pump and back down to the crank gear.

Now with that much explained, here is the problem. The upper idler pulley. On the 3VZ-E, the upper idler pulley mounts to the intake. On the 3VZ-FE and 5VZ-FE, it bolts to the block. The one for the 5VZ-FE doesn't look like it will work. I need one for the 3VZ-FE to see if it will work.

I hope you can visualize all of that. It's kind of hard to explain.
I cant believe I suggested to use the SOHC timing gear when you are going to use a DOHC setup....i need to think before I post...lol

Im completely with you as I have really done some homework on my (3vze) timing belt setup. ( Ill have to swap the water pump, both idlers, thermostat, and the belt)

But im confused. Doesnt your 3vze block have an upper idler wheel?

Just checking but this is the upper idler right?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33625

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 10-08-2004 at 08:44 PM.
Old 10-08-2004, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Bumpin' Yota
I cant believe I suggested to use the SOHC timing gear when you are going to use a DOHC setup....i need to think before I post...lol

Im completely with you as I have really done some homework on my (3vze) timing belt setup. ( Ill have to swap the water pump, both idlers, thermostat, and the belt)

But im confused. Doesnt your 3vze block have an upper idler wheel?

Just checking but this is the upper idler right?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33625
Yes sir, that's what you need for the stock 3VZ-E. See that fat part with the 4 holes in it? That bolts to your intake. The 5VZ-FE and 3VZ-FE are different....they bolt straight to the block. That water passage is up higher and different.
Old 10-10-2004, 08:41 PM

More food for thought. I wonder if it would be possible to use the 3VZ crank in a 5VZ engine. I read somewhere about someone saying that they did it, but I have no real research into this. Take a look ate the specs:

3VZ-E:
87.5 x 90.0

5VZ-FE:
93.5 x 82.0

after crank swap:
93.5 x 90.0

Looks VERY nice.

More reason to research. Some 3S-GTE(2.0 turbo engine on 4th-6th gen Celica, though only overseas saw the 6th gen with this engine) owners have figured out that they don't have to spend $2000+ for the 2.2L JUN stroker kit. They can use the 5S-FE crank which is the 2.2L N/A engine found in the 4th-6th gen Celica and just about all Camrys to this day, though they have given the engine a longer stroke now and redesignated the engine code.

Does someone have the 5V journals measurements? Here are the 3VZ specs.

mains: 2.5195-2.5197
rod: 2.1648-2.1654

That might have been brought up in the past and might not be possible, just a passing thought.
Crap, I wish I had compared cranks when I was swapping pick-ups and oil pans between the two engines for my swap. If you could drop a 3VZ crank in a 5VZ, you would have about 3.7 liters and a boatload of torque. THAT would be the shizzy. If not, you can still have a stock crank welded and reground for a few hundred, possibly use the 3.0 rods(anybody know if the deck heights are the same?) and make a stroker.
I'm thinking if you use the 5VZ intake, you'd still run into the hood clearance problem, as it is the intake itself that is taller. I also wonder what the differences between the cams on the 5VZ and the 3VZ-FE. If the Camry engine puts out around the same power with less displacement on an undersquare design, then what would those cams do in a 3.4? Are the cams interchangeable? Could be a cheap way to more power in the 3.4, perhaps? Probably move the power band way up, though. Another thing, are the two heads (3VZ-FE and 5VZ) really identical? Since the 3.4 is a larger bore I wonder if the valves are bigger as well or is it just a small chamber design? Or did I read previous posts wrong about the two being identical? Just thinking out loud here.
I've already finished the swap myself, but I totally support what's being done here. There's little I like better than trying to outsmart the factory with a good hybrid. Like the good old Chevy 383, or the 5S-GTE(as the 2.2 3S is known). Yeehaw for trying, I say. Especially since 5VZ's are only available if someone totals their ride at this point. I'm into my swap about $3500(granted, a fair portion of that was 'upgrades' like exhaust, new O2 sensors, etc.) at this point without touching the internals of a "supposed" 80K mile donor. I have a friend with the 3.0 right now watching this thread who is highly interested in a lower cost method to similar power. We ran light to light the other night and he's a little bummed.

Last edited by alltrac165; 10-10-2004 at 08:56 PM.
Old 10-10-2004, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by alltrac165
Crap, I wish I had compared cranks when I was swapping pick-ups and oil pans between the two engines for my swap. If you could drop a 3VZ crank in a 5VZ, you would have about 3.7 liters and a boatload of torque. THAT would be the shizzy. If not, you can still have a stock crank welded and reground for a few hundred, possibly use the 3.0 rods(anybody know if the deck heights are the same?) and make a stroker.
I'm thinking if you use the 5VZ intake, you'd still run into the hood clearance problem, as it is the intake itself that is taller. I also wonder what the differences between the cams on the 5VZ and the 3VZ-FE. If the Camry engine puts out around the same power with less displacement on an undersquare design, then what would those cams do in a 3.4? Are the cams interchangeable? Could be a cheap way to more power in the 3.4, perhaps? Probably move the power band way up, though. Another thing, are the two heads (3VZ-FE and 5VZ) really identical? Since the 3.4 is a larger bore I wonder if the valves are bigger as well or is it just a small chamber design? Or did I read previous posts wrong about the two being identical? Just thinking out loud here.
I've already finished the swap myself, but I totally support what's being done here. There's little I like better than trying to outsmart the factory with a good hybrid. Like the good old Chevy 383, or the 5S-GTE(as the 2.2 3S is known). Yeehaw for trying, I say. Especially since 5VZ's are only available if someone totals their ride at this point. I'm into my swap about $3500(granted, a fair portion of that was 'upgrades' like exhaust, new O2 sensors, etc.) at this point without touching the internals of a "supposed" 80K mile donor. I have a friend with the 3.0 right now watching this thread who is highly interested in a lower cost method to similar power. We ran light to light the other night and he's a little bummed.
Ok, I really need to stop posting so late at night. What the Hello was I thinking about when I posted a stroke of 92 on the 3VZ? I have looked back and have no idea........maybe I was looking at the new V6 engines.....I'm not sure. The 3VZ and 5VZ share the same stroke. What I've actually read now in hind sight is that the 3VZ has a forged crank and the 5VZ has a cast crank......the reason for the swap was a stronger crank to withstand more HP.

I would honestly like to see a 5S-GTE swap in a truck. If I get this new job I might just try that. I have a friend that will give me a donor 2WD truck. Would make for a good mud or dune truck(in a 4WD).......wouldn't be a crawler at all.

I'll try to find what I was thinking about in that post......it obviously wasn't a 3VZ crank.

I'll get this done as soon as I can for your friend, but I really need to get this timing issue worked out. After that we're in the green. I'm excited to get my engine done. I't's going to run like a sewing machine after being balanced and blueprinted.

Quick Reply: 3.0 with 3.4 power? Build up in progress - donations needed!!