Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3.0 with 3.4 power? Build up in progress - donations needed!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 06:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From the 1999 Downey catalog:
"Scott Sells already has the Downey V-6 headers and now it's time for Honed & Balanced intake, Rebuilt and balanced injectors, & a 3mm oversized throttle body. The result: 50 h.p. gain at the rear tires & first place by over an hour at the Parker 400"

Based on simple math; stock 3.0 = 150hp. Headers supposedly add 11hp, that's 161hp. Add another 50hp and you're at 211hp. Again, that's just math, not dyno proven results.

If just basic enhale/exhale improvements can yield that much hp, I'm real curious to see the results on in depth engine work like this project.
Old 08-25-2004, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by golden
From the 1999 Downey catalog:
"Scott Sells already has the Downey V-6 headers and now it's time for Honed & Balanced intake, Rebuilt and balanced injectors, & a 3mm oversized throttle body. The result: 50 h.p. gain at the rear tires & first place by over an hour at the Parker 400"

Based on simple math; stock 3.0 = 150hp. Headers supposedly add 11hp, that's 161hp. Add another 50hp and you're at 211hp. Again, that's just math, not dyno proven results.

If just basic enhale/exhale improvements can yield that much hp, I'm real curious to see the results on in depth engine work like this project.
I agree......I'm hoping that this works out the way I want it to. If I have it dynoed, it will be just the basic build with stock Camry manifolds. I want to set a bench for people and make this swap as easy as possible and just a matter of collecting parts.

After that I'll build my headers, ignition system, larger AFM, etc. Hopefully a supercharger next year.
Old 08-30-2004, 08:29 PM

Update while getting parts ready

I'm cleaning up parts and getting them ready for the engine when it's done. I got looking at the engine bay figuring in my head how everything is going to fit together. Sad news on the cruise control front. The cruise throttle linkage looks like it will not reach, however, the pedal linkage is great......you could have the TB sticking out the side of the fender and still have enough cable.

I'm hoping to move the cruise actuator to the firewall like the early Celicas. Hopefully this will fix the problem and I'll have enough room.

Another issue that I ran into is that the 5VZ-FE TB......where the stock cruise linkage would bolt on.......isn't going to work. Two options here. Use the stock TB and make and adaptersince it won't bolt to the 5VZ-FE intake (this is what I'm opting to do since it seems easier to me) or possibly get the cruise actuator from the 5VZ-FE. The adapter is the best option in my opinion because of cost and ease (I'll probably offer to make these for people when this project is complete). Also, this will save some money by not having to buy the 5VZ-FE TB.

I need to go get a camera so I can get the write-up started before I get too far into things.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:32 PM

I hate to triple post, but I'm so excited that I have to get this out. The TRD and Edelbrock headers for the 5VZ-FE will work onthis head swap. I spent a bit of money on material to make headers for this swap. I'm such a moron.....should have done a bit more research. At least I'll be able to use it on the Celica.

I'm still going to use stock Camry manifold on my project for dyno results. But now think of all the possibilities with this head swap. Supercharger, headers, etc. The 3.0 will no longer be refered to as the 3.slow.

All I have to do is get this thing up and running for you guys. I'm about as excited as I can be right now. I'm going to have to figure out how to start my own site so that I can post my write-up and the long term results as I add headers and then the supercharger later.
Old 08-31-2004, 10:27 AM
Contributing Member

Sweet!!!!!
Old 08-31-2004, 11:56 AM

Update:

New heads are here.......I'm glad that I ordered another set......these ones are very clean. Must be off a Camry that met an untimely demise.

The only thing that I lack is the distibutor which I opted not to buy because it was like $175 alone. I have 2 Celica engines that use the same type of distibutor......I'm going to see if I can make one work.........wait.......that's not going to work.....Celicas are 4 cylinder.....hmmm.......then again it might just be a matter of changing out the cap. I'll update you when I figure that much out.
Old 09-11-2004, 08:41 AM

Cool

Sorry, 3vz-fe Camry owner digging for gold here.
To clarify something. All US 3vz-fe's make 185hp and 195lb/ft. The 200hp, 204lb/ft is form the JDM spec 3vz-fe from '95. The US only have the 3vz-fe in '92 and '93 Camrys.

Port and Polish the 3vz-fe heads before you put them in. That will give you about 220hp-230hp with an intake and exhaust, timing advance. More or less that's about accurate.

Also block your EGR up before you install. It doesn't take any time for exhaust and fuel from your start up injector in the intake manifold to cake up everything from the TB to the pistons and you loose 10hp from it. :'(

Good luck! I'm jsut waiting for one of you smart 4runner guys to put ported and polished 3vz-fe heads on a 5vz-fe and fit a turbo on it!

Last edited by Toysrme; 09-11-2004 at 08:42 AM.
Old 09-11-2004, 08:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Toysrme
Sorry, 3vz-fe Camry owner digging for gold here.
To clarify something. All US 3vz-fe's make 185hp and 195lb/ft. The 200hp, 204lb/ft is form the JDM spec 3vz-fe from '95. The US only have the 3vz-fe in '92 and '93 Camrys.

Port and Polish the 3vz-fe heads before you put them in. That will give you about 220hp-230hp with an intake and exhaust, timing advance. More or less that's about accurate.

Also block your EGR up before you install. It doesn't take any time for exhaust and fuel from your start up injector in the intake manifold to cake up everything from the TB to the pistons and you loose 10hp from it. :'(

Good luck! I'm jsut waiting for one of you smart 4runner guys to put ported and polished 3vz-fe heads on a 5vz-fe and fit a turbo on it!
Now that's good tech! Thanks!!
Old 09-11-2004, 09:38 AM

Is there alot better flow on the 3ve-fe vs 5vz....fill me in on this i may be interested
Old 09-11-2004, 10:13 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
[QUOTE=Dan_90SR5]I hate to triple post, but I'm so excited that I have to get this out. The TRD and Edelbrock headers for the 5VZ-FE will work onthis head swap. QUOTE]

Do you need to have a 2 inch body lift for those headers?
Old 09-11-2004, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Weasy2k
Is there alot better flow on the 3ve-fe vs 5vz....fill me in on this i may be interested
I'd say no because they use the same heads and the intakes will switch between the 2 engines.

As I said before, this swap is not for everyone. It will be for those who are planning a rebuild to their 3VZ-E and want to get 5VZ-FE power out of their engine without swapping out the wiring harness, ECU, etc. This is allowing you to get a reliable engine by having a rebuild engine with the option for future upgrades such as headers, supercharger, etc. Not to mention the boost in HP just from the head swap.

I feel that this is a better and cheaper option because with a 5VZ-FE swap, you will either have to rebuild to make sure that you have the reliability of the head swap. Who knows how the previous owner treated the engine that you're going to get. I use to work at a Chrysler dealership and see cars come in with the factory oil filter with 60K miles on the car. The you have to buy the wiring harness and the ECU. You'll have the hassle of rewiring the truck/4Runner.

Here it is in list form:
cost of engine
cost of rebuild
cost of wiring harness
cost of ECU
more time spend on install

Head swap, once I have it all workout for everyone, will cost a small amount more than a normal rebuild. Have almost as much HP as the stock 5VZ-FE and have all of the upgrade possibilties. Will it ever be a 5VZ-FE? No, but for the cost, it's definately just as good as a 5VZ-FE engine swap.

I will say that I have spent alot of unneccesary money on my part, but that's why I'm being the guinea pig and doing a write-up for you guys. For example, I bought a rebuild kit for the 3VZ-E.....now having to go back and buy a gasket kit for the 3VZ-FE because the head gaskets are different. They should still work, but I'd rather do this right for myself and the write-up for you guys. I could have gotten away with a rebuild kit for a 3VZ-FE only.
Old 09-11-2004, 11:43 AM

[QUOTE=mt_goat]
Originally Posted by Dan_90SR5
I hate to triple post, but I'm so excited that I have to get this out. The TRD and Edelbrock headers for the 5VZ-FE will work onthis head swap. QUOTE]

Do you need to have a 2 inch body lift for those headers?
No, a body lift shouldn't be needed and I'm thinking after looking at things that we'll only be able to use the Edelbrock headers. The reason is that they cross over under the tranny. The TRD ones cross over in the same spot as the stock cross-over tube......though from what I understand they fit better. However, where the distributor will be mounted after the swap, I doubt you'll be able to put anything back there. That's good because the Edelbrock headers are cheaper, but give less HP from what I understand. They are also harder to install unless you read up on them on Gadgets site, but after that they should be a breeze.
Old 09-11-2004, 11:53 AM

Now, this is a general post for those that are trying to get ahead of the ball game by collecting parts now.

If you are collecting parts for this swap while waiting for the write-up, please only collect the parts that I'm going to list here. The rest I want to be 100% sure of what you need before you spend money on something that you might not use. I should have a complete parts list by the end of the month.

3VZ-FE heads
5VZ-FE intake (3 pieces)-The TB might be optional depending on the person....I'm going to use the stock TB or possible a 7M TB.
5VZ-FE exhaust manifolds or Edelbrock headers

The rebuild parts are still questionable until I get my 3VZ-FE gasket kit. All timing parts are still in question until I get it figured out (this might require a hole to be machines for the upper idler pulley....still doing research on this)

***Buy these parts at your own risk. This swap is still in the works and is considered experimental.***

Understand that I'm the first person to do this and it has and will take time to finish because I am hitting a few bumps, that have been and are being worked out.
Old 09-11-2004, 09:12 PM

Cool

I'm rebuilding my 3vz-fe after a DIY port and polish throttlebody, intake air chamber, ACIS, intake manifold, heads.

Full 3vz-fe gasket set is on ebay for 120. it's $140 shippped. (just bought mine cause my head gaskets were leaking anyways) Quality seems OK...

3vz-fe heads don't "flow" better, they're larger. 3.4L becomes a 4L engine. However, anyone doing a head swap that won't port and polish themselves, or pay $250-$300 for a shop to do it is crazy. 3vz-fe heads from a good shop should see a 25% performance gain. I know of one that had a high end port and polish w 3-angle valve job that got 240hp on nothing but a muffler, intake and timing advance. From what we know about that particular engine. That equated to about 40hp.

So before you put it all back together, port & polish the 3vz-fe heads, and block the EGR. (if you're not scared of emmesions testing) You can loose 5-10hp over the mid-high range every 10,000 miles from the stupid EGR caking black mess from your TB all the way down your intake.

Sorry I'm long winded and reiderating myself.

Now, this is a general post for those that are trying to get ahead of the ball game by collecting parts now.

If you are collecting parts for this swap while waiting for the write-up, please only collect the parts that I'm going to list here. The rest I want to be 100% sure of what you need before you spend money on something that you might not use. I should have a complete parts list by the end of the month.

3VZ-FE heads
5VZ-FE intake (3 pieces)-The TB might be optional depending on the person....I'm going to use the stock TB or possible a 7M TB.
5VZ-FE exhaust manifolds or Edelbrock headers

The rebuild parts are still questionable until I get my 3VZ-FE gasket kit. All timing parts are still in question until I get it figured out (this might require a hole to be machines for the upper idler pulley....still doing research on this)

***Buy these parts at your own risk. This swap is still in the works and is considered experimental.***

Understand that I'm the first person to do this and it has and will take time to finish because I am hitting a few bumps, that have been and are being worked out.

Last edited by Toysrme; 09-13-2004 at 12:45 PM.
Old 09-11-2004, 09:49 PM
Contributing Member

Holy ?! This is general tech? Not that I'm not glad to read it, but man do I feel like its over my head. Here's perhaps a dumb question, anyone know the approximate power benefits (if any) of porting and polishing the head for the 3.4L BTW, how much machining skill/knowledge (ie how much more than the zero Ihave now) does one need to do a DIY port and polish?

I'm gonna go post some inane question about seat fabric or something...
Old 09-12-2004, 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by ianshoots
Holy ?! This is general tech? Not that I'm not glad to read it, but man do I feel like its over my head. Here's perhaps a dumb question, anyone know the approximate power benefits (if any) of porting and polishing the head for the 3.4L BTW, how much machining skill/knowledge (ie how much more than the zero Ihave now) does one need to do a DIY port and polish?

I'm gonna go post some inane question about seat fabric or something...

zippo! On a stock 3.4L the head is so well designed that any head work will not benifit the user at all. HOWEVER if you s/c the engine then PP it may yeild some more power
Old 09-12-2004, 06:29 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm rebuilding my 3vz-fe after a DIY port and polish throttlebody, intake air chamber, ACIS, intake manifold, heads.

Full 3vz-fe gasket set is on ebay for 120. it's $140 shippped. (just bought mine cause my head gaskets were leaking anyways) Quality seems OK...

3vz-fe heads don't "flow" better, they're larger. 3.4L becomes a 4L engine. However, anyone doing a head swap that won't port and polish themselves, or pay $250-$300 for a shop to do it is crazy. 3vz-fe heads from a good shop should see a 25% performance gain. I know of one that had a high end race port and polish w 5-angle valve job that got 240hp on nothing but a muffler, intake and timing advance. From what we know about that particular engine. That equated to about 42hp.

So before you put it all back together, port & polish the 3vz-fe heads, and block the EGR. (if you're not scared of emmesions testing) You can loose 5-10hp over the mid-high range every 10,000 miles from the stupid EGR caking black mess from your TB all the way down your intake.

Thanks for the info, but you do realize we are wanting to put these heads on our 3.0L right? Would they increase the displacement of the 3.0 to a 3.6?
Old 09-12-2004, 12:23 PM

Cool

I do, I was answering Weasy2k when he asked of th 3.4L flowed better or worse than the 3vz-fe head.

Originally Posted by mt_goat
Thanks for the info, but you do realize we are wanting to put these heads on our 3.0L right? Would they increase the displacement of the 3.0 to a 3.6?
They shouldn't increase displacement. Both 3vz engines have the same stroke and brore, they have the same displacement. So they have the same volume of head space...

My point for the guys doing the e to fe head swap, you might as well port and polish them while they're off, so you can make more power. *cough* more power than the stock 5vz-fe's.

That's what you guys are after right? 5vz-fe power, without the 5vz-fe swap?
Old 09-12-2004, 12:29 PM

3vz-fe heads don't "flow" better, they're larger. 3.4L becomes a 4L engine. However, anyone doing a head swap that won't port and polish themselves, or pay $250-$300 for a shop to do it is crazy. 3vz-fe heads from a good shop should see a 25% performance gain. I know of one that had a high end race port and polish w 5-angle valve job that got 240hp on nothing but a muffler, intake and timing advance. From what we know about that particular engine. That equated to about 42hp.

Ok, first off, I'm not the type to flame, but you are SO full of it. First off, you're telling me that with just a port and polish, a valve job and a few mods that might add up to 10HP. The numbers that you gave us would have given about 100HP (242HP). The only way to get a HP figure by you or your friend is on a dyno. A stock Camry will dyno out at about 145HP. A 42HP increase as you are trying to tell us would be about 187HP NOT 242HP.

Secondly, a head swap isn't going to increase the displacement by 0.6L........especially when the heads in question are exactly the same. The 3VZ-E is a 3.0L engine and the 3VZ-FE is a 3.0L engine...........same bore and stroke, where does the extra 0.6L come into play? Also, porting a head and intake will not increase the displacement of the engine. Engine displacement is measured by how much volume that is displaced during the engine stroke........the only way to increase this is by boring or stroking an engine.

On another note, most engine builders advise against P&P unless you have a really ˟˟˟˟ty build head. Most only recommend it for people looking to squeeze that last little bit of HP out of an engine.

I don't claim to know anything about suspensions and stuff like that. I told everyone that when I joined this board. That's the big reason why I'm here, I wanted to lift my 4Runner and have learned alot from people on here. However, when it comes to Toyota engines, I do know my stuff.

Again, I'm not trying to flame, but I hate it when people give false info to people that might not know.......then those people go around thinking what was told to them is right. That's the reason why most guys that build muscle cars hate the import crowd. There are so many half truths and complete BS being passed around. And yes, I use to have a muscle cars........well truck......'85 Silverado 383cid (balanced and blueprinted) Edelbrock heads, intake, carb, headers, dual 3" exhaust.

I'll leave things at that.
Old 09-12-2004, 03:00 PM

Secondly, a head swap isn't going to increase the displacement by 0.6L........especially when the heads in question are exactly the same. The 3VZ-E is a 3.0L engine and the 3VZ-FE is a 3.0L engine...........same bore and stroke, where does the extra 0.6L come into play?
Ok before you jump on him for that above comment. Please Read a little the posts that have been made before that.

I said DO the 3vz-fe heads flow better then the 5vz-fe (my current engine) and that is where the reply came from.
"3vz-fe heads don't "flow" better, they're larger. 3.4L becomes a 4L engine. "

For the other things he and you mentioned i have no comment for.

Just gotta read all posts before you jump in on someone.

Thank you *End Rant*

Quick Reply: 3.0 with 3.4 power? Build up in progress - donations needed!!