Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3.0----->3.4 conversion, need help FAST!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 05:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The main reason that I am searching for help quickly is the motor/tranny combo that I am considering purchasing may not be available for much longer at the price I'm being offered. I do appreciate your input.
Old 04-20-2004, 05:45 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Evidently these guys have some experience in the swap too.

http://www.bigwizard.com/

I say go for it, but remember manual will give you the least hassle of all.
Old 04-20-2004, 06:01 PM

Fix your truck.....Sell it and buy a 96 with a 3.4

I personally think that anyone who tries this is out of his mind. I think the re-sale value of a vehicle modified in this fashion would be nil. Unless, of course he sold it to someone on this board who would find it quite neat.
Old 04-20-2004, 06:19 PM

Ive never really been accused of being sane, but thank you for your comments nonetheless. If I had the $4000 to fix it, I would. If I liked the way it ran with a 3.slow, I would. If I could afford the payments on a 96, we wouldnt even be having this discussion.
Old 04-20-2004, 06:19 PM

If it's an automatic good luck. There is no readily available harness to mate the trans to the engine harness.
Old 04-20-2004, 06:25 PM

Fram Sells a complete gasket set (Head Gaskets and All) for about 200.00. Head bolts are about 60.00. Don't replace anything else (Like you would if you were going to keep it.)

If your smart enough to put a 3.4 in it - your going to be able to put a some head gaskets in your old one - and sell it. Then sell the 3.4 and the tranny on this board for 1500.00 or so. Then -- buy one - with the 3.4 already in it...
Old 04-20-2004, 06:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you have cash into your current rig that you would never recover selling it, then the swap sure makes sense.

If you have a stocker, ditch it and find a new rig. The swap would be like a big stroke job.

As for resale, if you are still asking yourself that, you are in the wrong sport or at the wrong part of the journey. A modified wheeling rig will never recover any of the cash put into it, but that is not the point.

If you get the engine from a rig with an auto, get the auto too and then add a crawler or just one case. Pretty straightforward, but surely more cash.

If you plan to supercharge it, then the engine you are looking at is less desirable than 98 or newer with apparently better computers.

Last edited by Flygtenstein; 04-20-2004 at 06:56 PM.
Old 04-20-2004, 07:07 PM

I keep hearing that there are problemsm when tryying to do the swap with an auto but if he has the motor, tranny, ecu and maybe picks up the wiring harness with them then why is it so hard
Old 04-22-2004, 03:08 AM

The Front drive shaft on the 3.4 is on the drivers side, where the 3.0 has the front drive shaft on the passengers side. Thereby requiring that you either do a front axle swap as well, or rotating the drive case with some sort of adapter. Not saying it can't be done, just alot more involved than dropping the engine in.
Old 04-22-2004, 07:10 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Scorcher
I have a '94 4Runner with the 3.0 v6. The head gaskets let go in late September and it hasn't moved since. I have the oppourtunity to get a '95 3.4 v6, ECU, and tranny for dirt cheap. I've done a little reasearch on the subject, but I need to know what else I need to have to complete the conversion, and I need to know A.S.A.P. If anyone could help me, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advance.
I just talked to Mike @ ORS and he said he may have a 3.4 L conversion kit for the auto as soon as next week.
Old 04-23-2004, 06:31 AM

Exclamation If you think its worth it......

I have been reading your thread for a while now, and a couple of them has said is it worth it....just trade it in. The only advice I have for you is that, look at your truck and can you possible live with out it....I cant I cant live with out my 90, I really do not like anything about the 3rd Gens other than a rear locker(on limited models) and of course the infamous 3.4L. I love the body style, the looks, and down, right simplicity of the vehicle (I sure first gens agree even more). But as I was saying, get the 3.4L and matching trans, ecu, mass airflo boxes, vacum box, throttle control sensors, and all the matching wiring. Here is some things that might help, because I am performing the swap as we speak. The 3vze tranny works, but with out an extensive amount of electronics traning and logic analyzing, this swap is impractical. Because the 5vze comp is set for the idling and shifting points of the 5vze tranny, all most a duel comp. swap or totally re-analyzing the ecu. The 3vze tranny is just as strong as the 5vze tranny(there are some rumors) they have actually put them in newer T100 and Tacos. I friends with a guy that works for a toyota garage. Off road sols will be offering soon. But if your a cheap a** like me you'll follow closely. Get the newe 3.4L and tranny. The transfercase is not neededin this particular case. Both of your auto trannys are hydros cannot be separtated, but this is what I am doing, off road solutions off a transfer case adapt it will make sense once you see it. You will need to obtain a trans case from a 95-79 taco or runner 4cyl/ turbo(gear driven) i think 23 spline nonturbo i think 21. Anyway either will work, there is no interference with shift linkage because the t-case for a 4cyl is smaller, besides linkage on a 5vze unlike a 3vze tranny can be adjusted easily. The adapter then bolts onto the trans accepts the transcase. Use existing driveshafts gas tanks(exeption of pulling out the pump and replacing the sending unit pump) and thats about it. There are minor issuses of wiring, like the ac, tac, (because of 2nd gens negative pusle width,more on this is you need it) and something else which seems to me escaping me right now. But alot of people are throwing a s**t fit about this, its not that complicate. I paid 1000 for my 3.4 35000 miles and tranny 600, trans adapt is the only kicker 450, and Im get a transfercase for next to nothing because I order so much struff from the same junk yard and a lift kit because the engine is too tall 200. I know this sound exp. but just price the 3.slow, a block that is rarely made anymore. Mine came with everything, and when I say everything i mean everything but the frame!(joking) No really just ask for all the wiring most place dont care..I am in the process of totally redoing the 90 frame up restoration. Right now the rain and school keeps giving me a hard time. so I havent gotten to do much tonight and tommorrow frame painting and hurculining the underbod. If you need help I will send picks that I have or just visit my posts on off-road.com, I have the same screen name. Just do a search for 3.4L swap. If you have anymore q's let me know. Just in case you might ask yourself is it worth it. Stand back and look at your truck. The answer will soon follow.

Bryan---3.4 in the making.....this will be a JEEP RECOVERY VEHICLE
Old 04-25-2004, 12:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you have cash tied up in your rig, swap it and keep it forever. If you have a stocker and dreams, you are just pissing in the wind.

I don't mean to start an argument, but the auto harness you are talking about is a pipe dream. The valve bodies between the trannies are different and would need to be swapped/modified. Perhaps there was confusion, but Mike said this was not something that would come in the short term and likely would not come ever.

If you have an auto, swap the tranny. The gear ratios are tuned for the engine and you can add a crawler. If the truck gets wheeled, this makes the most sense.
Old 04-25-2004, 05:27 PM
Contributing Member

From what I have read, Marlin Crawler (www.marlincrawler.com) has an adapter to adapt a 4cyl. transfercase to a 95.5-up auto tranny. What this does is gets you the passenger side drop and an auto tranny that is compatable with the 3.4L ECU.
Thanks
Old 04-26-2004, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by 914runner
From what I have read, Marlin Crawler (www.marlincrawler.com) has an adapter to adapt a 4cyl. transfercase to a 95.5-up auto tranny. What this does is gets you the passenger side drop and an auto tranny that is compatable with the 3.4L ECU.
Thanks
Your absolutely right! By the way are you doing a swap also, hows it going. Do you have any pics?