Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

2G guys with digi cameras (and time)

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2004, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check the cables on the top of your intake man. Also, those two hoses coming from the steering are vacuum hoses and they should be hooked up. I'm not too sure if that would affect the idling though. Does it sound like all the cylinders are getting spark? What all have you done? Is it timed right? Is the distributor Top Dead Center?
Old 05-23-2004, 08:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, I have not messed with the timing. The engine was pulled directly from another vehicle and I put it in this one after pulling the old one out. I did use the old distributor cover, but that's it, I didn't mess with the timing. However, I have not checked it either. Yes, all cylinders are hitting fine. I have driven it about 15 miles thus far. I just have to drive with both feet to keep it running (it's an auto) whenever I come to stopsigns and such. That will get old fast though. The power-steering pump is pretty much shot, so that's not much of an issue... I'll have to buy another one of those.
Old 05-23-2004, 09:03 PM

You may want to start by checking the distributor. If it's not on perfect it will one: cause your truck to idle crapy two: cause it to not even start. How many miles were on this engine? Do you know how to check if the engine is top dead center without removing any covers? If not e-mail me and I'll tell you. But start there. If that doesn't work we'll dig into it a little more. GOOD LUCK!
Old 05-23-2004, 09:04 PM

Okay, thanks. It starts right up as normal, and then falls back down on its face.
Old 05-23-2004, 09:09 PM

Hmmm.... Make sure it's getting proper air flow too. My truck did the same thing for a bit. Also try this Start the truck, open the hood (You may need someone to keep it alive while you do this) and adjust the throttle cable. It may not be set right. Start by slowly pulling it with your fingers until it runs at just under 1000 RPM If this works just adjust the bolts.
Old 05-24-2004, 01:36 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The hissing and no idle on the engine would indicate a vacum leak.
Check again to make sure all hoses are hooked up and no vacum ports are open.
You can use some carb cleaner to check for leaks (idle will go up when sprayed).
Old 05-24-2004, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
The hissing and no idle on the engine would indicate a vacum leak.
Check again to make sure all hoses are hooked up and no vacum ports are open.
You can use some carb cleaner to check for leaks (idle will go up when sprayed).
Good thought, I'll try that carb cleaner. I know on my old car that it would hiss all the time, evne though it wasn't actually leaking. The ISC motor was drawing in air to maintain idle and this was normal operation. I do hear a hissing, and it SEEMS like it's coming from the passenger's side area. I'll give the carb cleaner a shot. Haha... a pun.