Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

22RE and the Taurus fan.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2003, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well the 1990 I found didn't have either of those engines, which is weird. And the fan only had two wires, so it must be the wrong one. I'll have to keep searching. Thanks for the info,

Chris
Old 08-08-2003, 11:26 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Alimony
My A/C doesnt work so I figure that's gonna be enough...
For a little more power you can remove or cut the AC belt off. That will free up the parasitic drag from the compressor pulley.
Old 08-08-2003, 11:30 AM

The 2 speed Taurus fan is found in the 88-95 Ford Taurus/Mercury Sable as well as the 3.0 V6 Ford Tempo(not confirmed on the Tempo, but that is what I hear) The 3.8l V6 fan has three wires (Blue~Hi Speed/Brown-orange~low speed/Black~ground) and make sure to get the twin circuit breakers that come inline on the harness. I haven't needed to use the high speed function as of yet, so it hasn't been connected except for an occasional test to demonstrate its CFM power. I have the switch, and the 2 40A relays, but I haven't gotten around to connecting it up yet.
Old 08-08-2003, 11:47 AM

Thanks man! The one I found wasn't right! The engine is labeled too with a big 3.8 on the manifold I just found out too, so now it will be easy to find. Thanks,

Chris
Old 08-08-2003, 12:16 PM

i dont agree with you on the ac thing... if it dosent work anyways turn it into a onboard air! and if you just unhook a ac belt it dosent free up any notcable horsepower, if you just unhook the electric clutch via the dash mounted ac switch, it is then left with mabey 1 ft/lb of resistance, which is defiantly not noticable....even if it added 5 horsepower, from all my experince with cars you cant tell 5 horsepower by the seat of your pants...i would say, turn it into onboard air, get a better breathing air filter if you dont have one, and cut a deckplate into the bottom front side ofyour airbox, and also remove the stock snorkel/hold up air thingy... i plan on doing the electric fan+deckplate+elbow+filter thing first off when my runner is mine all the way!

sorry if that was pointless.... just had to get it off my chest.
later
wade
Old 08-08-2003, 12:56 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by wimpywade94
[B]if you just unhook a ac belt it dosent free up any notcable horsepower, if you just unhook the electric clutch via the dash mounted ac switch, it is then left with mabey 1 ft/lb of resistance, which is defiantly not noticable....
Not to get into a pissing match with you, but I disagree with you. The parasitic drag of the pulley and friction from the belt is significant. Not to mention you are removing the chance of the belt breaking on its own, and causing undo damage.

even if it added 5 horsepower, from all my experince with cars you cant tell 5 horsepower by the seat of your pants
Most enthusiasts agree that you can feel 5HP and above. Besides, its HP throught the entire rev range - in other words, its a gain through the linear power curve of the motor. Especially on a 22RE which lacks the TQ down low.

...i would say, turn it into onboard air, get a better breathing air filter if you dont have one, and cut a deckplate into the bottom front side ofyour airbox, and also remove the stock snorkel/hold up air thingy
Old 08-08-2003, 01:41 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong but is there any parasitic drag with the compressor disengaged? If the clutch isn't engaged, the compressor doesn't turn so no drag I would think. May be a bit less inertia not to turn the pulley but barely noticeable I would think.
Old 08-08-2003, 01:49 PM
Contributing Member

Have you guys ever spun the AC compressor pulley disengaged with no belt on? Yes, the parasitic drag is significant.

If the AC doesn't work, why not enjoy the small HP gain throughout the rev range? What is so hard to understand?

On a V-6, the "gain" is not as prominent. But like I said, on a low tq 4 banger, you can tell its gone.

Someone help me out here.
Old 08-08-2003, 05:47 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have the 3.4 so I tried running with no belt for a little bit when it broke and I drove it until I had time to get a new one.....It didn't seem much peppier with the belt gone but I do notice a big difference from the AC engaged vs disengaged......could just be that I have the V6 that's all.
Old 08-18-2003, 11:35 AM
Banned

Out of the few threads on this topic, this one interests me most so...

BTT

I just got a 3.8 Ford fan today for $11.

I'm trying to decide if I want to mess with all that thermostat crap or not. I'm smart enough to turn the fan on when i'm stopped and turn it off when i'm moving fast enough to not need it. I can read the temp gauge on my own. I don't need a $40-$50 part to do it for me. I think i'll just wire it straight through relays to a DPDT switch in the cab and do this whole mod for around $17.

My stock fan clutch is dead and it caused the water pump/alternator belt to be thrown off the pullys twice this weekend.