Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

22re pcv relocation for emissions question

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
even if it passes and works 100% the valve cover still has a yucky leak on the side and I will be removing it to clean up/reseal/investigate whats under there...
how much crud, where it is, the color yada yada yada.
If you let me know what your curiuos about and what to look for, I will take some nice clear close ups of my topless engine and its various parts.

you might see something I wouldnt even know to look at.
I'll start a new thread for that!
Old 07-23-2005, 05:37 AM

Received 647 Likes on 522 Posts
Woo-hoo! A topless engine! Now we're rockin'!
I'm just curious, after all this timing stuff has been going on, as to where the cam timing mark is when #1 is @TDC. There should be a small circular mark, just under where the chain rides on the upper timing chain sprocket, which is front and center when the VC is off. If the cam is timed right, the mark should be at about 1130 when #1 is TDC. Thing to remember is that when the timing mark on the crankshaft pully is at 0*, you may have either #1 OR #4 at TDC. You need to check the valves to see. If the valves on #1 are loose, and I don't mean sloppy, but just have the normal play to them, ie: .008 for intake, .012 for exh, and the valves for #4 are snug, you've got it, if not, you need to rotate the crankshaft a full turn. It's something you need to know about anyway to do a valve lash alignment, which, as long as you've got the VC off, and you don't know when the last time it was done, and it should be done every 15k, you may want to go ahead and do...did that all make sense? Only 1 cup o'coffee so far this am...
Any way, here's the "how-to" from the FSM. Hope it helps. Like I said, though, be careful about who's at TDC before you say "Wow! these are really out of alignment!". I've screwed it up once, and OH BOY, did the poor thing run like crud before I fugured out what I'd done wrong!
Old 07-23-2005, 09:50 PM

Seriously though, most manufacturers put a "lobe stamp" on the end of the canshaft itself that will display either the duration of the lobe in degrees and/or the manufactere's name itself with a reference number.

Take a look when you get in there and have fun with it as a valve cover gasket is way easy.

Last edited by Robinhood150; 07-27-2005 at 06:43 PM.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:42 PM

I got my truck back, the new TPS is IN, adjusted and the timing reset where it should be. It actually runs very different now in a good way. Its quieter, and doesn't seem to rev quite as high to get the power. (it will now putter nicely uphill in 3rd gear and not bog down and need shifted into 2nd).
The time idles VERY smoothly on 12 bdc, I too thew jumper (to check) and pinned T and E1, the idle dropped to 5 BDC... then back up when I removed it. The hydrocarbon test at idle passed with a 99, 220 being the limit.

all because of that little piece of plastic...

I'm pretty happy with it now, just need to fill it up and test the MPGs, just for kicks.
Oh yeah, and you want my valve cover off.... when it quits raining I will be right on that. I am going to guess since this TPS cured all its ails, the inside is just run of the mill Toyota guts and gears.

Hats off to you guys who figured it was the TPS... you were dead on.

Last edited by Allyia; 07-25-2005 at 03:44 PM.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:34 PM

Hooray! Glad it's GTG now. I would guess that there's probably nothing wrong under the valve cover, but it can't hurt to check the valve lash anyway. You're supposed to every 30k anyhow. And replace that gasket and the grommets. You don't want any leaks now that it's running well.
Did you say that you'd put new plugs and distributor cap and rotor in? I don't recall...mind like a steel seive...If they're all fairly old, it won't hurt to slap those in, and myabe a fuel and air filter too...Basic tune-up stuff. May as well tweak and peak it now, and then not have to worry about it again for a while. I do a tune-up every 10k, dist cap and rotor, fuel filter on the p/u (the Runner get's one every 40k), air filter on the p/u (K&N in the Runner). I have Bosch Platinum +4's in both, and heve never gotten less than 100k on those, so I don't sweat them...The plug wires usually last me about 90k before they fail...
But I babble. Glad it's running smooth as silk, now and developing the power it should, and I hope it continues to do so for a long time yet to come
Old 07-25-2005, 05:00 PM

oh I replace all those goodies trying to get it to work last week.
plugs (NKG v-power) the best wires advanced auto had (always use the better wires) a new coil, dist.cap, rotor, a new fuel filter a new air filter, an engine flush and new synthetic oil (quaker state was all I could find I would have preferred royal purple or redline, they are hard to find here) and a good pure1 filter.
now a new TPS.
if all that doesn't make a difference.... I'll drive it the crusher myself. LOL

it seems to be running great. I hope the MPGs are at least 18-22+, I'll soon find out.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:49 PM

I'm happy to hear that the TPS replacement sorted out your problems and pretty much eliminated the possibility of a cam, damn!, now I guess that I won't get to see you topless, ah shucks ( :cry: )..., wait, what did you say ??
I will still get to see! Yaaayyyy!!!! :bounce2:

Just kidding. Keep us posted on the progress and improvements and drop some pics when you get the chance.

Later, Allyia.

Last edited by 94x4; 07-27-2005 at 09:08 AM.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:20 PM

Ok, I thought you had, but I've slept since then
I'm really glad it's doing the kitten thing and purring along well. I wish it HAD been the cam, then I'd have felt so much smarter :cry:

I'm a big fan of Castrol Syntec 20W-50 myself, but I'll wager synthetic is synthetic. I am switching to a Pur 1 filter from the Radioactive Orange Can of Death, ever since I read up on a filter test done by this guy , and this guy as well, as soon as I get some cash Wednesday. I use the heavier weight (is that the correct term??) oil since our daytime temps are frequently over 115, even 120. The trucks love it.

I bet you'll see 21 mpg minmum. These little 22RE's are really good about that when they're taken care of...There's a thread on this board someplace about the wonders of some kind of Miracle oil that improves mileage dramatically. I don't know about it, but I may try it myself just to see...Of course if you only have two throttle positions, wide open and dead shut, your mileage may vary

ANyhow, glad to hear it's a rockin' and a rollin...

Oh, yeah, just you don't think I'm totally dead...did you say topless pics somewhere...???

Last edited by 2ToyGuy; 07-25-2005 at 08:21 PM.