Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

22" NEW PICS...as promised

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2004, 09:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flecker
I'm not a Hater! No one here should be hatin'...
Billy has his concept of what "his" truck should be, and I respect that. Opinions are just that, and it's his ride to do with what he wants. He did ask for feedback... good or bad and he got it. He took it with class and that's what it's all about.
So what's this about a sound system? How are you gonna squeeze subs in the doors? You custom making new panels, or what? And three amps! You got plans for some extra 12 volts in that rig? Fill us in!
And... way to not be afraid of getting down and dirty w/ something so new!
Flecker-
Hey, what can I say bro. After last night, I figured you and I would end up meeting outside the bar. We both have our varying opinions, I respect yours as you respect mine. That is all that truly matters. There is or never will be a true/correct way to modify a vehicle except to personal desire.

As far as the stereo, here is a quick list...I am in the middle of finishing a master's thesis at the moment, but after monday it will be complete...

- 2 13.5W7's (box in rear, ported to spec)
- 2 10" 8000 series 4 ohm mtx's (under front seats)
- 4 8" 6000 series mtx's (one in each door)
- JL XR 3 way component setup (in front and kick panels)
- Earthquake 6.5's in rear doors
- 2 dry cells in parallel under hood
- 3rd dry cell behind rear seat w/ 240 amp iso. for the W7's
- 200 amp Mr. Alternator Alt
- 2 mtx 1501 mono blocks (one to each W7)
- 1 mtx 942 2 channel (to the 10's up front and a couple others)
- 2 mtx 684 4 channels (to just about everything else)
- 2 3 Ferad Stinger digi caps
- 1,000+ lbs of dynomat
- 4 overhead tweets in rear/second seat area

Thats all for now...pics soon.

Billy
Old 05-01-2004, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by 4RUNR
I still vote that someone take your Toyota at night and replace with a Honda Pilot or something
Sorry bud, ultimately I can veto that vote considering the ride is unfortunately titled to me.

I would love to see someone try to steal it, in fact, videotape it for me too...the security system I cannot speak about...it would just go something like this...

Out for now,

Billy
Old 05-03-2004, 02:04 PM
Contributing Member

Nothing can stop professional thieves from flatbedding it away before you know it even with GPS tracking thieves have figured ways around it if they cops can't "save" it in time.

You're even daring somebody;hopefully there's no bored "lurkers-thieves" looking for a challenge.
Old 05-03-2004, 02:59 PM
Contributing Member

Am I the only one that finds this funny? If you don't like it... leave it alone, you don't have to threaten him and say people are going to steal it. Someone could steal any car including YOURS. There has to be something better for you to do than state the obvious. If his truck is that desireable then he has to be doing something right!

As for being OT, not 100% my cup of tea, but its growing on me, and I'm sure you love it. I would too if I were into that sort of thing. I like being different. I had a volvo that would smoke mustangs. People told me a terd is a terd no matter how fast it is. but... I didn't care. The faces of all the red-necks and ricers after they were beaten by a grocrey getter were priceless. Good luck with that system You have your work cut out for you!!!
Old 05-03-2004, 03:12 PM

looks awesome!
Old 05-03-2004, 03:17 PM
Contributing Member

Hey billy, I think you should post the pic w/o the caps, I think it looks 100x better all black.
Old 05-03-2004, 04:03 PM
Contributing Member

Gotta weigh in again. I like it!

Keep pushing the limits. Ya know like I've said before, manufacturers are going with an 18-20 inch wheel because thats what people want. They are choosing to offer larger wheels because some yahoo decided to push the limits and overall it is accepted as a positive mod. Personally I wouldn't put that big of a wheel on my ride, but I can completely appreciate the fact that someone has an idea and the "wuevos" to push it to make it work. I happen to like it.

Turboale is right though, take a few pics without the centers to see what it looks like. I think they may be drawing your eyes to them and not to the size of your truck! "Maybe more people will be able to see the forest if you cut down some of the trees". (inside joke)

If you don't like the wheels..... fine, but I seriously take into consideration what it took to get those wheels under there. It wasn't just buy 'em and throw them on. A crap load of suspension work, troubleshooting, designing and "re-inventing the wheel" took place here (no pun intended).

Good work Billy, keep pushing. BTW: I'm still waiting for those damn pics of your custom roof rack.

Hey, since you're a CAD guy, ya think you could design some headlight rock protectors like I have on my FJ? They are the metal screen type (black of course)that secure themselves with the existing mounting screws. I love them on my FJ and really need them on my runner. The other day I chipped my headlight housing when following an aggregate truck on my way to work.

Let me know if thats something you'd like to take on. I'll help fund it.

Doug M.
Old 05-04-2004, 08:44 AM
Away

I hate to say this Billy, but you did say all opinions were welcome....

I don't like it. Sorry man, but I don't like the 4th gens as a rule. And big wheels aren't my thing either. But, if you're happy with it, that's all that matters.

Peace!
G
Old 05-04-2004, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by 02Runner
Gotta weigh in again. I like it!

Keep pushing the limits. Ya know like I've said before, manufacturers are going with an 18-20 inch wheel because thats what people want. They are choosing to offer larger wheels because some yahoo decided to push the limits and overall it is accepted as a positive mod. Personally I wouldn't put that big of a wheel on my ride, but I can completely appreciate the fact that someone has an idea and the "wuevos" to push it to make it work. I happen to like it.

Turboale is right though, take a few pics without the centers to see what it looks like. I think they may be drawing your eyes to them and not to the size of your truck! "Maybe more people will be able to see the forest if you cut down some of the trees". (inside joke)

If you don't like the wheels..... fine, but I seriously take into consideration what it took to get those wheels under there. It wasn't just buy 'em and throw them on. A crap load of suspension work, troubleshooting, designing and "re-inventing the wheel" took place here (no pun intended).

Good work Billy, keep pushing. BTW: I'm still waiting for those damn pics of your custom roof rack.

Hey, since you're a CAD guy, ya think you could design some headlight rock protectors like I have on my FJ? They are the metal screen type (black of course)that secure themselves with the existing mounting screws. I love them on my FJ and really need them on my runner. The other day I chipped my headlight housing when following an aggregate truck on my way to work.

Let me know if thats something you'd like to take on. I'll help fund it.

Doug M.

Doug-
Hey, not that I need the support, but you are one of the few who can see thru those trees you talked about. I could put up endless posts on what all had to be done to make those things fit, as well as about every other mod i've done and created...but no-one wants to hear how to grind knobs off a spindle, how to make custom coils and spacers, measure exact offset and backspacing of a wheel to ensure it will fit in every way before getting shipped in, etc, etc, etc,...the list could go on forever. Thanks bud.

Now to your questions, etc-
Your pan hard drop bracket is in the mail. You said 4.5", I did mine @ 5", so yours is 4.75" to a T. You will see how it is adjustable once you get it, mine has three holes for different levels of lift, and the top is also cut away to allow more lateral adjusting.

The roof bar will be on in 3 weeks. I just got the drawings to my buddy who is a killer welder...gonna be tube steel. I can get covers made for your lights as well, and I know exactly what you are talking about as I had a 72' FJ that I have been trying to get back for years...cleanest one I had ever seen.

I'll get back to you with a few different material patterns and ideas and we can go from there.

Dr. Z-
Hey, no worries man. You told me what I am asking to hear...thats all I ever wanted in the first place. And yes, personal happiness is all that matters.

Billy
Old 05-04-2004, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by fourunnabilly
Flecker-
Hey, what can I say bro. After last night, I figured you and I would end up meeting outside the bar. We both have our varying opinions, I respect yours as you respect mine. That is all that truly matters. There is or never will be a true/correct way to modify a vehicle except to personal desire.

As far as the stereo, here is a quick list...I am in the middle of finishing a master's thesis at the moment, but after monday it will be complete...

- 2 13.5W7's (box in rear, ported to spec)
- 2 10" 8000 series 4 ohm mtx's (under front seats)
- 4 8" 6000 series mtx's (one in each door)
- JL XR 3 way component setup (in front and kick panels)
- Earthquake 6.5's in rear doors
- 2 dry cells in parallel under hood
- 3rd dry cell behind rear seat w/ 240 amp iso. for the W7's
- 200 amp Mr. Alternator Alt
- 2 mtx 1501 mono blocks (one to each W7)
- 1 mtx 942 2 channel (to the 10's up front and a couple others)
- 2 mtx 684 4 channels (to just about everything else)
- 2 3 Ferad Stinger digi caps
- 1,000+ lbs of dynomat
- 4 overhead tweets in rear/second seat area

Thats all for now...pics soon.

Billy
I personally don't like the wheels. They remind me of old spoke wheels like you would find on a wagon in the old west. At least the bling has been toned down with black paint.

In any case, I have nothing but admiration for the money that you have put into a $30k car while still in school, and that you haven't skimped on quality of the products you have chosen.

After all, this is America and you can decorate your car however you want. This place would be boring as hell if we all drove stockers. I can say for sure without a doubt that after seeing those pictures I will never put 22 on my 4runner, but you have provided some very useful info on maximizing the amount of lift I can go. I kind of think that this is what this site is all about.

I am disappointed that you ditched the license plate frame.
Old 05-05-2004, 08:27 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by turboale
Am I the only one that finds this funny? If you don't like it... leave it alone, you don't have to threaten him and say people are going to steal it. Someone could steal any car including YOURS. There has to be something better for you to do than state the obvious.
Maybe you should read his post instead of assuming I was attacking him.

I quote him: "I would love to see someone try to steal it,infact,videotape it for me too".

I was just pointing out he was daring somebody to steal it;