Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

22" NEW PICS...as promised

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
those look real nice, good job Billy. Something is missing up top. I think you'd need a nice rack and bout 4-6 lights. Your rig really look like a show truck

and those who flame on his accomplishment..... DON'T HATE, APPRECIATE

Last edited by 2001Millrunner; 04-28-2004 at 05:23 PM.
Old 04-28-2004, 06:28 PM
Contributing Member

Lookin' good, but how about some armor all on your new rubber? I actually like them better than I thought I would. It makes it stand out, but not ridiculously. Pushing the limits of the norm is admirable.

I have to agree with 2001millrunner though. You need a serious custom black rack. I would opt for something from a metal fab guy instead of an off the shelf plain jane type. Maybe a 1" bent tube and definitely some 6 - 8" lights (front and rear).

Another area I would consider pushing even further is the bumpers. Custom bumpers and belly plates would be a nice compliment to your ride.

Sorry, I can't believe that after the time, thought, consideration and work you've put into this that I'm thinking of things you haven't done. The above are just a few suggestions so don't take offense. At this point, I'd say you're on track and doing great work customizing your rig.

You know this modding stuff has got to come to an end. I've got an urge to do a solid axle swap now and throwing on some 24's!

All in all: a 10!

Doug M.

BTW: Just kidding about the 24's ............but NOT the axle swap!
Old 04-28-2004, 07:18 PM

That is one of the nicest 4runners I have ever seen. Congratulations on the fine ride.
Old 04-28-2004, 08:07 PM

Looks great....what's the latest on those brakes? Do you have pics yet?
Old 04-28-2004, 08:21 PM

those rims look sick man, not my style at all but i like 'em a lot on that rig for sure. with bigger brakes they will be awesome. even my roommate who is into ricer-types (GTIs specifically) thinks they look good. it is kinda a futuristic lookin truck!
Old 04-28-2004, 08:24 PM

2001Millrunner, Doug, and KC Slim-

Thanks a ton for all the positivity! I have tossing around the light bar idea ever since I first got the runner, and concluded that it would have to be a custom job for sure. I just havent taken the iniative to design it yet. I am sure it will go on one of these days.

As far as the SAS, I am with ya 100%, but my funds are entirely evaporated right now. After finishing the stereo, I am gonna wrap up all the major mods with adding a blower and the 17" discs.

If any of you can show me other bumpers, skids, etc...that would be great. I have a friend who I know will build the light bar...what do you think about the black Hella's??...they are just about 8" in diam...I dont know what I would put up top to either match or mismatch with them...maybe some 4000's??...again, any feedback here would be great.

Again, thanks. The runner is now lined up for 5 magazines over the next 6 months while the mods are finished, I'll be sure to let ya all know.

Just for the hell of it, I thought some of you would enjoy this car...pic link

Have a good one...peace.

Billy

EDIT: The brakes are a stillen 17" complete kit, with drilled and slotted rotors. I am trying to find the funds for it...I am not sure which will come first though, the blower or the discs, as they are both way outta the picture at the moment.

Last edited by fourunnabilly; 04-28-2004 at 08:28 PM.
Old 04-28-2004, 09:27 PM

stereo, blower, and 17" discs!? that is gonna be a nice ride man! im jealous! just my lift, bumper, and tires killed me and i didn't get any bling for sure. a sas on a 4th gen would be real cool though, i haven't heard anything about one of those yet. be the first!
Old 04-28-2004, 10:05 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Not bad man...

It goes with the 4th gen fine. I dont think it would look as good with an older car of course.

I like it in general though.
Old 04-29-2004, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by SC4Runner
Not bad man...

It goes with the 4th gen fine. I dont think it would look as good with an older car of course.

I like it in general though.
I think that says it about as best as it could be put...I agree with ya 100%. I know that the majority of you arent into larger wheels, but the new Tacoma is gonna have an 18" wheel option...for what it's worth.

Billy
Old 04-29-2004, 01:26 AM

Oh, no... :cry:
Old 04-29-2004, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by tbcreative
Oh, no... :cry:

I like the tires. I like the spokes in the rim. Any wheel over 18" is just too big for my tastes.
Old 04-29-2004, 09:03 AM
Banned

I guess looks wise they are ok... a little big for my taste. Only thing that concerns me, like stated before, if you plan to do any serious wheeling I have my doubts as to wether or not they will hold up. To me , it's just function over looks... and they don't look like they will function. Don't get me wrong I think they are unique and look pretty cool really, just that you can't wheel it like you could have. If your not in to getting way off the pavement well then props to ya! You have zero sidewall now, and those things will just crunch if you come down hard on one. But they look neat I guess
Old 04-29-2004, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by flecker
I guess looks wise they are ok... a little big for my taste. Only thing that concerns me, like stated before, if you plan to do any serious wheeling I have my doubts as to wether or not they will hold up. To me , it's just function over looks... and they don't look like they will function. Don't get me wrong I think they are unique and look pretty cool really, just that you can't wheel it like you could have. If your not in to getting way off the pavement well then props to ya! You have zero sidewall now, and those things will just crunch if you come down hard on one. But they look neat I guess
williemon- thanks brotha

flecker-
Believe it or not, these tires were created to take wheeling. The are a 10 ply sidewall, with a pretty aggressive all terrain tread pattern. I will admit I will not be able to do the extreme wheelin that I have been as of late, but a sidewall ratio of 50 on a 325 is 6.5+ inches...look at it this way: the tires measure nealy a 36 x 13. 36-22 for the wheels is 14". A 31 x 10.5 on a 15 puts you at 16" of sidewall rubber, so there is truly not much difference...it is just the proportions playing with your mind/eyes.

Billy
Old 04-29-2004, 04:13 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by fourunnabilly
Believe it or not, these tires were created to take wheeling. The are a 10 ply sidewall, with a pretty aggressive all terrain tread pattern. I will admit I will not be able to do the extreme wheelin that I have been as of late, but a sidewall ratio of 50 on a 325 is 6.5+ inches...look at it this way: the tires measure nealy a 36 x 13. 36-22 for the wheels is 14". A 31 x 10.5 on a 15 puts you at 16" of sidewall rubber, so there is truly not much difference...it is just the proportions playing with your mind/eyes.
HOLY ˟˟˟˟˟!!! 10 ply?!?!?!? Dude my MT/R's are only 3 ply....
Old 04-29-2004, 04:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Those are the best looking 22's I've ever seen.

Looks like you get a nice footprint with those tires though.
Old 04-29-2004, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Churnd
Those are the best looking 22's I've ever seen.

Looks like you get a nice footprint with those tires though.
Thanks brotha, you are probably the most positive cats around this place...much appreciation and more importantly, making them the best lookin 22's around was the ultimate goal. The wheel search took about 2 months, then the tires just came out, then it was all over the board to find a good powder coater...etc, etc.

Lance-
Yeah, 10 ply...nuts huh?...I couldnt believe it either. I dont know if you looked at any pics of what showed up at SEMA, but the tires were on a set of beadlocks mounted on a new Nissan Titan (i know...nissan...) that had 6" of lift and was setup for some burly wheelin.

Later all.

Billy
Old 04-29-2004, 10:05 PM
Banned

williemon- thanks brotha

flecker-

Billy
Uh dude... theres a huge difference. The tires might have a great tread pattern, but those wheels aren't made for wheeling. How you gonna air down? :pat: How will those tires protect your wheels? Zero sidewall means you now will use your 22's as rock rubbers... I just don't see them making sense on a trail, that's all. I know they look cool But seriously, heres a 31" on a 15" rim.... I see the difference. Not trying to be a jackhole or anything... just my .02
Attached Thumbnails 22" NEW PICS...as promised-p8010129.jpg  
Old 04-29-2004, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by flecker
Uh dude... theres a huge difference. The tires might have a great tread pattern, but those wheels aren't made for wheeling. How you gonna air down? :pat: How will those tires protect your wheels? Zero sidewall means you now will use your 22's as rock rubbers... I just don't see them making sense on a trail, that's all. I know they look cool But seriously, heres a 31" on a 15" rim.... I see the difference. Not trying to be a jackhole or anything... just my .02
Mr. Flecker-
LOL...you are doing one good job of keeping me entertained. I never once spoke of the wheels regarding your interpretation of "wheeling". Go ahead and look again just to confirm this with yourself.

Let's continue.

Thanks for the pic of the 31 on a 15...I had never seen that setup before...it helps clarify a lot! You are in no way being a "jackhole", you are just missing the boat my friend. I made it as simple as possible for you to understand (assuming you dont have a calculator or have trouble using it...??...) with some simple calculations in relationship to one of the most common sized TIRE and wheel setups on light duty trucks.

So again, here it is for you...mathematics don't lie, sorry. Most 31's measure closer to 30"...30-15=15 total sidewall inches...divide 15/2 and you get 7.5". With me so far?...let's hope so OK, for you and you only, I went out and even took a measuring tape to the sidewall of my TIRE, and have nearly 7" of rubber on either side, leaving your amazing but true calculations to show that yes, a 31 on a 15 leaves about 7.5" of rubber on either side of the TIRE. So after using this intense formula, we can conclude that you have about 1/2" more rubber protecting your wheels.

Now for the airing down part...
First of all, I never once mentioned anything about rock crawling. I simply said that the wheeling that I had been doing with the 315's on a 17 was not going to be possible with the 325's on a 22. I never claimed I could conquer the Rubicon in reverse, but simply stated that I will still be able to take the vehicle off the road and into the woods. Back to the airing down scenario. Taking the assumption that you are speaking of the ever so uncommon 31x10.5" wide TIRE...yes, 10.5 inches, and comparing that to a tire that measures nearly 13" wide vs. the 10.5 which most likely specs out at 10 or even just under, there is a lot more air inside my TIRE than exists in yours.

This is truly as simple as it gets, I wish you well as you try to gain a grasp on my ridiculous theories here. I should probably take some measurements and work out some specifics instead of just stating that my TIRE setup is actually very similar, and maybe even better than yours...

Yes, we are talking about TIRES here. Hope you enjoyed your reading.

Billy
Old 04-29-2004, 10:49 PM
Contributing Member

Mr. Flecker-
LOL...you are doing one good job of keeping me entertained. I never once spoke of the wheels regarding your interpretation of "wheeling". Go ahead and look again just to confirm this with yourself.

Let's continue.

Thanks for the pic of the 31 on a 15...I had never seen that setup before...it helps clarify a lot! You are in no way being a "jackhole", you are just missing the boat my friend. I made it as simple as possible for you to understand (assuming you dont have a calculator or have trouble using it...??...) with some simple calculations in relationship to one of the most common sized TIRE and wheel setups on light duty trucks.

So again, here it is for you...mathematics don't lie, sorry. Most 31's measure closer to 30"...30-15=15 total sidewall inches...divide 15/2 and you get 7.5". With me so far?...let's hope so OK, for you and you only, I went out and even took a measuring tape to the sidewall of my TIRE, and have nearly 7" of rubber on either side, leaving your amazing but true calculations to show that yes, a 31 on a 15 leaves about 7.5" of rubber on either side of the TIRE. So after using this intense formula, we can conclude that you have about 1/2" more rubber protecting your wheels.

Now for the airing down part...
First of all, I never once mentioned anything about rock crawling. I simply said that the wheeling that I had been doing with the 315's on a 17 was not going to be possible with the 325's on a 22. I never claimed I could conquer the Rubicon in reverse, but simply stated that I will still be able to take the vehicle off the road and into the woods. Back to the airing down scenario. Taking the assumption that you are speaking of the ever so uncommon 31x10.5" wide TIRE...yes, 10.5 inches, and comparing that to a tire that measures nearly 13" wide vs. the 10.5 which most likely specs out at 10 or even just under, there is a lot more air inside my TIRE than exists in yours.

This is truly as simple as it gets, I wish you well as you try to gain a grasp on my ridiculous theories here. I should probably take some measurements and work out some specifics instead of just stating that my TIRE setup is actually very similar, and maybe even better than yours...

Yes, we are talking about TIRES here. Hope you enjoyed your reading.

Billy
Oh that Billy and his sarcasm He's right though. His tire and wheel combination is a bit of an optical illusion because of their size. If you'll take a closer look at the sidewall, you'll notice he actually has a good deal of tread coming off of those rims. Now that idea about the Rubicon backward was pretty good. I did it last year, but I think I have a bigger sidewall than you
Old 04-29-2004, 11:06 PM
Banned

Glad to entertain ya! Since were on the topic... the math lesson was a treat Hey, you asked for the input and I gave it. 22" inch tires with 36 leaves you with 14" of sidewall. Yep, that's 7" on each side allright... thanks for the tip! But guess what, they are still rock magnets and really serve no function other than lookg neato'. I wasn't insulting you... just pointing out the obvious. I just thought the point in having an offroad capable vehicle was to use it for that purpose... sure you can still go play in the woods, but now your limited to just that. No longer will the other stuff be an option for you, and you have a greater risk of thrashing your expensive wheels on stuff. Hey, if you got the dough, why not? As for the powder coating... why bother? If you do attempt anything serious now, bye bye powder when it scrapes against the rough stuff. Hey... if you are aired down though, maybe the 10 ply side walls will save what? Maybe an inch or so of the wheel? No offense, personally I think they are just useless given the make of your rig and really do nothing except affect the appearance and not trailability of your runner.
You have guts for trying something as unique as that... and I like the looks, but can't use and looks go hand in hand? I like the way a supermodel looks, but if she can't do anything but look good the beauty looses it's luster a bit.
Hey, no insult intended... just what you asked for. Opinions. peace out brudder

Quick Reply: 22" NEW PICS...as promised