Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

2003 Review....i Just Drove!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2002, 09:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

I agree with some people's experience with the 2003. I did not find the 2003 conducive to my needs. (only one 12v connector in front. I use all three with cell-phone, radar detector, and chragable flashlight). I liked the roomier interior, but felt less in control of the vehicle. The V8 sure was powerful and very smooth. But the looks... the only one that looks like it might be reminscent of the third generation is the Limited which has its color mathced wheel flares. I can't imagine taking this thing off road, it feels to much like a luxury SUV than a truck- didn't feel like it was designed to handle some rough riding. I am sure that Toyota redesigned the 4 Runner for the current market of people that want the Sport Utes for regualr road driving. It is nice to have full time 4 wheel drive and then all the other standard 4x4 options availabel as earlier models, but I like having 2 wheel drive for normal driving, it is a smoother drive and saves on feul. I was not overly impressed. My 2001 looks more impressive and looks a bit more like it is up for the challenge than the 2003 model. The sad thing, is that us 4 Runner lovers, when looking to trade in on a newer model sometime down the road, will have to settle for the newer Yuppie influenced design. :pat:

Last edited by mccracken; 11-11-2002 at 09:59 AM.
Old 11-11-2002, 10:09 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the new 4Runner will be competent off-road. The Chief Engineer said one design goal was to improve off-road and on-road performance. For someone of his stature within Toyota to say that, well, it'll happen. Not that I'm any kind of serious rock crawler, though. My plans are to race prep the car for various off-road TSD (time-speed-distance) rallys around the Western US hosted by SCCA and other car clubs. I hope to surprise a few WRX's with my S/C V-8 'Runner!

I owned a Sequoia with the ability to run 4x2. Trouble was, it lost some stability in that mode. The rear felt much looser on pavement, especially in the dry. I wound up staying in 4x4 for the improved handling and safety. Yes, extensive testing showed that it cost about ½ mpg, but I thought it was well worth the extra fuel burn.

I've a possible solution to intrusive ECU's: pull the ABS relay. I think that'll disable all the "driver aids", though that includes the ABS. Strictly for off-road competitive use, I'll keep the relay in on-road. I found the ECU's a PIA on my 2000 L/C and Sequoia, wanting to apply brake and retard throttle just when the fun was beginning!
Old 11-11-2002, 10:17 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mccracken, I see your edited comment about the 12V power point. There's a dealer-installed kit available that includes an ash tray and lighter. I don't know where it's installed or what it looks like, but I'll be getting one just for the extra power point.
Old 11-11-2002, 01:03 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Guys,

I was just at my local dealership (Longo) to service my wife's Camry. I had some time to check out the 4th gens.

Exterior: Up close, I'm getting "used to" the new look. Its not bad, and its growing on me. However, I still think those wheel arch molding are hideous and needs to be seriously trimmed down. Its like the AWD Volvo station wagons. When Volvo was still owned by Volvo, they didn't have so much plastic on it, esp the rear end. Now since Ford took over, it looks like its in a giant plastic diaper. Nevertheless, it still has the "look" of the 4runner (i.e. windows) and i think its not as radical as say, the most recent version of the Celica.

The part that bothers me more than the arch moldings is the rear end. It looks like an Isuzu Rodeo. Too much plastic here again. And the integrated tow hitch? Can you say Ford Exploder? Gayness to the nth power.

Interior: what an atrocious piece of crap. The dash, while in serious need of an upgrade, looks terrible. Maybe too futuristic for me. You know who does interiors right? Nissan. Specifically a Pathfinder or a Maxima (NOT the Xterra or any of their cheaper cars). I posted awhile back that it looked like the Cyclones from Battlestar Galatica. Up close, i think it looks even worse. Those radio, HVAC (or whatever) knobs are the epitome of overdoing a simple thing. For you East Coasters, I think it might be hard to use those w/ gloves on.

Interior cargo space: while i don't have the specs to compare, it looks like its wider and a little more roomier all around EXCEPT for the cargo area. I think it shrank a little. That double-deck thing is marginally cool/functional, but I'll take space in the cargo area over cabin roominess anyday. But that's just me.

Drivability: didn't drive it but I'm sure its nice w/ the V8.

Seeing this up close reaffirms my satisfaction of buying another 3rd gen.

Bob