Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

2001 runner failed inspection

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2004, 04:11 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys...here is what I got from them.

"The on board diagnostic system of your vehicle indicates there is a failure in the Malfunction Indicator Lamp"
OBD Malfunction Indicator Lamp Check:
Key on Engine Off: FAIL
Key on Engine Running: Pass

They have put this info in the NYS system so I cant pretend it didnt happen. They attached a sheet telling me what some of the failures are. It says
1. The MIL fails to light when the ignition key is in the on position and the engine is not running. This will be displayed as "Key on Engine Off: FAIL" on the rcpt.

This is the problem. So they are saying the light doesnt come on.
Old 12-17-2004, 04:51 AM
Contributing Member

Does it come on? $90 and 2 days to do a drivability diagnosis sounds a little extreme for what's probably a burned out bulb. Maybe he just wanted your rig for a road trip?
Old 12-17-2004, 05:04 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sabre
Thanks guys...here is what I got from them.

"The on board diagnostic system of your vehicle indicates there is a failure in the Malfunction Indicator Lamp"
OBD Malfunction Indicator Lamp Check:
Key on Engine Off: FAIL
Key on Engine Running: Pass

They have put this info in the NYS system so I cant pretend it didnt happen. They attached a sheet telling me what some of the failures are. It says
1. The MIL fails to light when the ignition key is in the on position and the engine is not running. This will be displayed as "Key on Engine Off: FAIL" on the rcpt.

This is the problem. So they are saying the light doesnt come on.
That's what I thought they did. First, I would check with the dealer and make sure this is what the 4runner is supposed to do (I don't have time to go out and check on mine). Then if indeed the bulb is not lighting when it should then you need to start taking apart the dash. Pull the bulb first and if you are lucky it is just burned out, but if not you may need to do some checking on the wiring with a volt meter to be sure you are getting juice when you should (ie key on / engine off). Once you have it fixed, just bring it back to the shop and they should only inspect that item and give you you're well deserved pass and a sticker to keep you legal.
Old 12-17-2004, 05:30 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
That's what I thought they did. First, I would check with the dealer and make sure this is what the 4runner is supposed to do (I don't have time to go out and check on mine). Then if indeed the bulb is not lighting when it should then you need to start taking apart the dash. Pull the bulb first and if you are lucky it is just burned out, but if not you may need to do some checking on the wiring with a volt meter to be sure you are getting juice when you should (ie key on / engine off). Once you have it fixed, just bring it back to the shop and they should only inspect that item and give you you're well deserved pass and a sticker to keep you legal.
I was with you right up to the voltmeter part

I can check the bulb but if it doesnt seem burned out then I will have to have someone else look at it. Bottom line is it should be part of the inspection to find the problem then tell me what i need to fix it. I can find a place around here that will do that.
Old 12-17-2004, 06:38 AM

90.00 for a bulb r/r? i'm in the wrong business. i could never keep up with that kind of profit margin.....besides, since pimping is illegal, i need to change my occupation .......furry dashboard is getting a litte faded anyway
Old 12-17-2004, 07:18 AM

It's unclear...

So does the check engine light come on as it should when the key is initially turned to ON?

And did the truck pass emissions in the sense of what is coming out of the tailpipe? Or was the ODBII check issue the only cause?
Old 12-17-2004, 07:36 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4RUNR
It's unclear...

So does the check engine light come on as it should when the key is initially turned to ON?

And did the truck pass emissions in the sense of what is coming out of the tailpipe? Or was the ODBII check issue the only cause?
OBDII was the only failure. It passed safety inspection as well. The light does NOT come on when the key is turned..that is why it failed the inspection.
Old 12-17-2004, 08:42 AM

Disconnect the O2 sensor or something like that to throw a check engine light to see if the bulb is working. The instrument cluster is pretty delicate, no need to take it apart when unnecessary.
Old 12-17-2004, 08:54 AM
Contributing Member

Disconnect the O2 sensor or something like that to throw a check engine light to see if the bulb is working. The instrument cluster is pretty delicate, no need to take it apart when unnecessary.
Even easier would be to disconnect the MAF sensor to throw a code (no need to get under the truck).
It is also not that hard to remove the guage cluster either and check that way.
Old 12-17-2004, 09:17 AM
Contributing Member

Even easier would be to disconnect the MAF sensor to throw a code (no need to get under the truck).
It is also not that hard to remove the guage cluster either and check that way.
please explain
Old 12-17-2004, 10:44 AM
Contributing Member

please explain
The MAF sensor is right up at the front of the truck by the airbox.
On your truck it should look like this:

Just disconnect the sensor on the tube leading from the airbox (there is only one), start the truck and it should throw a code.
Old 12-17-2004, 11:07 AM
Contributing Member

If the check engine light didn't come on when the key was turned, then you might as well take apart the dash and check the bulb. Here in Cali they do a visual and even if it passed the emissions test, it would still fail.
Old 12-17-2004, 01:07 PM
Contributing Member

Ok, I unhooked the sensor, and started the truck...light came onl . Truck stalled but light came on. I hooked it back up and now the light is still on and so are the vsc and vsac lights. I jst pulled the EFI fuse. Will that fix it?
Old 12-18-2004, 03:54 AM

:pat: in N.Y. they are using the OBD vehicle system to check the emissions level so if any issues come up when they plug in then you fail , it sucks but that's the way it is
Well if you interpret it literally, it must mean the MIL burned out.

Are they trying to say your truck is throwing codes left and right and you just don't know because the light is out?
Old 12-18-2004, 04:40 AM
Contributing Member

Ok, I unhooked the sensor, and started the truck...light came onl . Truck stalled but light came on. I hooked it back up and now the light is still on and so are the vsc and vsac lights. I jst pulled the EFI fuse. Will that fix it?
Yeah the truck should have run like crap with the MAF unplugged, but you are just checking.
Pull the negative battery cable for like 5 min just to be sure all has been reset.

That means your CEL is working so now verify with the dealer that it does come on briefly before startup. If it is working properly, then just get a letter from the dealer saying that this is the way it is supposed to work and you should be fine.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 12-18-2004 at 04:41 AM.
Old 12-20-2004, 04:35 AM
Contributing Member

All check engine lights are now back off again. I just dont get what my truck could have failed.
Old 12-20-2004, 04:45 AM
Contributing Member

All check engine lights are now back off again. I just dont get what my truck could have failed.
I would take it back and show the dude at the station that it does work and that they need to pass you......
Old 12-20-2004, 05:14 AM
Contributing Member

I would take it back and show the dude at the station that it does work and that they need to pass you......
I called the manager and told him this and he said...well it sounds like it would pass now. Let me talk to a tech and get back to you.

So now I am waiting by the phone for them to get back to me. Looks like I will be driving back over there today to retest this sucker.