Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

1 inch Body Lift Installed *PICS*

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1" Body Lift - "Gotchas"

Recently installed a 1" bodylift (bought via Toyota Parts sales of Dallas - suspect it is a Toytec kit). Came with all 10 plastic pucks, nuts/bolts/washers and steering spacer. Purchased strictly to eliminate the occasional rubbing of my 255/85/16 BFG's. (Not a problem often, but has always bugged me since installing these tires 4 yrs ago)
Some AFTER pics:

Here are "gotcha" notes from my install:
1) Pretty easy to gain access and remove all 10 factory bolts.
2) Tried hammer/socket to remove factory washers (reused since these washers are much thicker/safer than typical hardware). Even though bolts had very little rust/corrosion, found it much easier to use a hydraulic press to get these off.
3) Re-used two factory bolts - Moved stock 4th bolt (back from front) to 5th bolt hole (far rear location) on both sides. Reasons: length was good and was able to utilize the "anti-spin" design of the factory bolt/washer combo to make tightening in this tough access spot easier.
4) Steering spacer was absolutely needed and used.
5) ARB front bumper required new mounting holes be drilled. 1" lower (for reduce bumper/body gap):

and 3/4" further in (to help push bumper out/away from a/c receiver drier. Still very close though):

In my case, ARB bumper was brand new and first installed immediately after body lift.

6) Did the suggested 4Crawler modification to my spare tire hoist mechanism.
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...areTireCarrier Found that after doing this, the round crank receptacle was rubbing on the back of the crossmember it is bolted to. I had to file this down to clearance this so the hoist could more easily be turned/used. Recommend using a grinder instead to save time and your hands.
7) Zero issues with either manual shifter or transfer case.
8) Already had longer rear braided brake line, but looks like I might need to do a thorough search to see what other items might have been impacted by this lift. Parking brake cable is one suspect, even though I already have a lengthening bracket: http://www.sonoransteel.com/index.ph...7b8ff77a236e2b
9) Removed all four factory splash guards from front wheel wells. Used these as templates and made new ones from sheet rubber to accommodate the new 1" difference. Here are some pics of my new custom splashguards.
Right side:

Left Side:

Overall a pretty easy project. Although I subscribe to the philosophy of "increase wheel travel but keep the truck low", and really like being able to have 33" diameter tires, my easiest solution to the occasional rubbing was a small body lift. Personally I wouldn't go more than 1" due to adverse impact of higher center of gravity (tip heavy) and additional details to contend with.

Hope this helps anyone considering a bodylift for your 3rd Gen 4Runner.
Attached Thumbnails 1 inch Body Lift Installed *PICS*-arb-bumper-mod-1-body-lift-003.jpg   1 inch Body Lift Installed *PICS*-4runner-body-lift-gap-guards-006.jpg   1 inch Body Lift Installed *PICS*-4runner-body-lift-gap-guards-010.jpg