Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

04 V8 S/c

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kickaha
Here's one dealer: http://carsontoyota.com/html/special.html
Their site says they have four 2005 V8s right now. This has changed since last I looked so they may have sold one. I haven't personally looked at those at that dealer since it's a bit far from me.
I bought my '04 from them. A very good experience, might I add. I was in and out in under 1 hour, no BS, no trying to hard sell me all the extra add-ons, etc. Maybe I'll swing by tomorrow and see what they have on the lot. I just hope I don't do something stupid...
Old 11-30-2004, 10:16 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by EDGE
Screw that dealer, their a freakin cult, they have a forum or 2 and if you don't pay for membership or kiss their azz they treat you like an outcast, I tried to deal with them, do they really think Im gonna finnance a car over the phone then fly out and drive it back, that cost more then just buying it at the regular price, some of the stuff guys posted about cars they ordered, payed for and then after spending 2g's to get to the dealer the car they had never was and suddenly they have a similiar car in a different color and options that they never ordered and the price is 10k more .

I don't know anything about them. Their fleet manager sent me to that link after I blanketed the local dealers with requests. I just got an email from another dealer as well saying he will be getting one in stock this week. I'll only give them money if I see what I'm buying beforehand. Or, if I special order one, I won't accept delivery if it's not exactly as ordered.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:40 PM

There have been '05 VVT-i 4.7L 4runner's on dealer lots in CA for at least a month now FWIW. My friend test drove both a 2004 and 2005 V8 and said the '05 was much peppier and had better throttle response.
Old 12-01-2004, 01:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SEAN_at_TLT
There have been '05 VVT-i 4.7L 4runner's on dealer lots in CA for at least a month now FWIW. My friend test drove both a 2004 and 2005 V8 and said the '05 was much peppier and had better throttle response.
once again I hate that my friend stuff
Old 12-01-2004, 10:16 AM

once again I hate that my friend stuff
I shall elaborate.

A very close friend who happens to be car fanatic and very established entrepreneur in the music equipment industry, asked me for advice in buying a new SUV. I suggested he check out 4Runner's. I told him a bit about them and then he went to the dealer for a few test drives. He drove both an '04 and an '05 V8 model and was shocked by how different they felt, he asked the salesman why that was and the salesman didn't have an answer. My friend then told me what happened an I double checked to be sure that in fact both trucks were V8's and that they were an '04 and an '05, I too was skeptical because I read on here that the new motors wouldn't be out until Dec/Jan. He called back the dealer just to be sure it was in fact an '05 w/VVT-i and they verified it. He lives in SLO, CA if you want to call the local dealer there and talk to them about their inventory.

How much more do you want?
Old 12-01-2004, 11:04 AM

I don't think your friend has a clue as to what he's driving, I seen guys test drive V6 models and swear their was a V8 under the hood, most people don't know what their buying so the useless babbling of the common day idiot salesman will sound intelligent long as he keeps yapping

Not that I don't believe you but Lexus is releasing VVTi GX470 a month ahead or maybe the same time as 4Runners and nothing has been released on the engine, no gas mileage and no pricing has been released.

Janurary 2005, on Toyota.com
Old 12-01-2004, 11:12 AM

Since I wasn't there I can't say for sure but this guy is in his 50's and has a long history as a performance car buff. I would be surprised if he didn't look under the hood just because he explicitly made it clear that he wanted a V8 to both me and the salesman. He went in there whit some knowledge about the specific model he wanted and a ton of general automotive knowledge. I would call the dealer in SLO and try to talk to an educated salesman (if there is such a thing in the car world!)

I stopped by gilroy Toyota a few months ago to ask about the new Tacoma's. The salesman told me they had '05's in stock, he walked me over to a D-cab '04 and was like this one just came in! I pointed out that it was an '04 and that '05 is a complete redesign, then he goes "oh you mean the sporty lowered one? Oh what's it called?" I said the X-Runner and he goes "yeah that's it!" I said thanks for your time. He then offered to set me up with the lead salesman to get me job since I knew more than he did. I politely declined.

I know most dealers/salesman are complete douche bags but my friend is most definitely not.
Old 12-01-2004, 04:01 PM

Didn't make it by Carson Toyota today, wil go by tomorrow. If they say they have the '05 V8's, then I believe they have them. Also, the cars are imported into the west coast. They will be here before they are on the east coast. As for salesmen, most of them are temporary workers and don't do their homework. Also, they are...SALESPEOPLE!! Their job is to sell, and to turn "no's" into "yes's". Most guys (and gals) like us who are way into toyota's are going to know more about the product than they do based on my experiences as well.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:45 AM
Contributing Member

Not that I don't believe you but Lexus is releasing VVTi GX470 a month ahead or maybe the same time as 4Runners and nothing has been released on the engine, no gas mileage and no pricing has been released.

Janurary 2005, on Toyota.com
This isn't about the engine, it's about the market conditions. For the 4Runner specifically, it's about them having too many 2004 V8s. The 2005 V8 Sequoia has been out for quite a while now. It has the same engine as the 4Runner.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/041130/latu105_1.html
"The 4Runner V8 will arrive at dealerships in December".

The article above is a press release from Toyota.

Last edited by kickaha; 12-02-2004 at 10:55 AM.
Old 12-02-2004, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by RBLACAUSA
Didn't make it by Carson Toyota today, wil go by tomorrow. If they say they have the '05 V8's, then I believe they have them. Also, the cars are imported into the west coast. They will be here before they are on the east coast. As for salesmen, most of them are temporary workers and don't do their homework. Also, they are...SALESPEOPLE!! Their job is to sell, and to turn "no's" into "yes's". Most guys (and gals) like us who are way into toyota's are going to know more about the product than they do based on my experiences as well.
Awright, went by carson toyota today. No '05 V8's on the lot for sale, the ones in the internet ad are allocated to them, are en route, and should be here within a week. Pricing: I could pick one up for about a G more than my '04 I bought 4 months ago (a tad under $30K). Financing: No real deals available like the zero down 1% financing I have (pretty sweet deal). That can change regionally, though, and will probably change soon here depending on the demand for the '05's. Oh, most of the '05's were presold, but not all. I think that was all,there was to report...
Old 12-03-2004, 07:15 AM

within a week and then next week it will be another week and then another week and then another week, your dealing with people who would finance children if they could

My dealer that I deal with that sells hi-end Toyotas like their Lexus or BMW says they should rollout just like the 05 Tacoma, you will see 1 at the dealer and then about mid Janurary they will have them in stock like normal
Old 12-11-2004, 06:33 AM

I am buying a 4x4 Sport V8 today....

Also, Toyota JUST started listing the V8's on their website *search inventory option*

I have the SC on my 96 4Runner 4wd...and I REALLY hope to add a SC to my new 05 V8