Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

04 V8 S/c

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 01:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Koz
I'm as bummed as anyone because I'm waiting for the 05 V8, which have NOT yet hit the market.
It has hit the market in my town. Give them a week or two to ship them to your neck of the woods.
Old 11-29-2004, 07:13 PM

subscribing
Old 11-29-2004, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Koz
Some info I've received from Toyota and TRD. First off the 05 V8 will have 270hp and 330ft.lbs., not 282hp/225ft.lbs. like the Tundra. The 4Runner is tuned for a little more torque, by sacrificing a little HP.

The TRD 4.7 SC was stopped because of the ECU, not the engine. The engine is indeed almost bulletproof. The SC will only be available for the iForce V8 NOT the vvti. The SC is not compatible with the V6/V8 vvti motors. TRD is not presently or planning any SC for the vvti V6/V8 motors, as of today. I'm as bummed as anyone because I'm waiting for the 05 V8, which have NOT yet hit the market.

I would be very concerned if a stealer took an order for a 05 4Runner and promised a SC.

Koz
Are you sure about the torque numbers on that Tundra. My V6 Taco has that much. 12 hp difference with a 105ft.lbs difference---numbers seem to be off
105ft.lbs is not a little more torque. thats a lot.

Last edited by TACOMANATOR; 11-29-2004 at 07:27 PM.
Old 11-30-2004, 02:50 AM
Koz

Sorry Tacomanator,

It is 325ft.lbs. tourque on the 05 Tundra VVT-i V8. 225 would have been a BIG sacrifice.

Koz
Old 11-30-2004, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by Koz
Some info I've received from Toyota and TRD. First off the 05 V8 will have 270hp and 330ft.lbs., not 282hp/225ft.lbs. like the Tundra. The 4Runner is tuned for a little more torque, by sacrificing a little HP.

The TRD 4.7 SC was stopped because of the ECU, not the engine. The engine is indeed almost bulletproof. The SC will only be available for the iForce V8 NOT the vvti. The SC is not compatible with the V6/V8 vvti motors. TRD is not presently or planning any SC for the vvti V6/V8 motors, as of today. I'm as bummed as anyone because I'm waiting for the 05 V8, which have NOT yet hit the market.

I would be very concerned if a stealer took an order for a 05 4Runner and promised a SC.

Koz
Wait, your telling me Toyota has went ahead and is marketing the new X-Runner will have a S/C and TRD has not even thought about it?

I find that a little hard to swallow, sorry.
Old 11-30-2004, 05:10 AM
Koz

rOcky - I was refering to this post; sorry for my failure to communicate. lol

fourunnabilly wrote "NE has a client with an 05 Runner on order that will receive a TRD supercharger asap and hit the dyno very soon after for some continued tuning as well as to obviously check the hp and torque figures."

Rivalred - As per TRD; they have no plans, at the moment, for supercharging the VVT-i V6/V8. I asked about advertizing (rag mags) a blower for the VVT-i V6 and they had no clue.

Koz
Old 11-30-2004, 06:22 AM
Contributing Member

Having previously worked the front lines for a consumer product, I can say that the answers you get from those who answer the phones or email can vary widely.

Whoever happens to answer the phone doesn't necessarily know what they're talking about. They person may be a newbie with zero real knowledge and who is only doing a search through a database for the answers. Or they may have been told not to talk about unannounced products. Or they may be telling you what they think based on internal rumors within their group. They may not even be in the same physical location as the design team (this is likely). So I'd take anything I heard with a lump of salt.

Anyway, let me see if I've got this straight: TRD may or may not come out with a supercharger for the pre-'05 V6 and/or V8. TRD may or may not come out with a supercharger for an '05+ V6 and/or V8. If TRD does come out with both a pre-'05 and a '05+ supercharger, they may or may not be the same part and they may or may not come out at the same time and the pre'05 may cost more or it may cost less than the '05+. The reason it isn't out yet might be the ECU or it might be the rods and pistons or it might be Toyota not talking to TRD or it might be the Marketing department or it might be swamp gas or it might be all of the above or it might be none of the above. And one of the previous posts about this may or may not be proven correct and the person posting that post may or may not choose to gloat it over everyone else (I would).

Old 11-30-2004, 07:58 AM

To clarify-

Our client is receiving his 05 runner in about 4 weeks. He is in so-cal, so I assume that is roughly the time span in that area of the country. My bad on not making this clearer from the get go.

Anthony
Old 11-30-2004, 08:04 AM
Contributing Member

Even though I'm not sure whether anyone has an inside source or is just talking to the next available operator, I'd like to thank everyone who has attempted to get the facts about this. It's cool that you did this and shared it with others.

So thanks!
Old 11-30-2004, 09:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by r0cky
i do know that Anthony spoke with Toyota/TRD in regards to one of our clients who is getting a SC'd 05 ... and did so just a few days before Thanksgiving.
I read that and it says the guys has the V8 before ThanksGiving
Old 11-30-2004, 09:16 AM

kickaha
please post a link to said dealer that has 05 V8 4Runners, my reliable Toyota Dealer and Lexus Dealer that don't BS me have no VVTi V8s and have told me their 1st shipment should be in sometime in Janurary.

Now the other dealer that I go to for oil changes has already gotten me several 05 V8 4Runners, only problem is they always seem to mess up the order and it comes through as a V6 :pat: freakin idiots
Old 11-30-2004, 02:42 PM
Contributing Member

Here's one dealer: http://carsontoyota.com/html/special.html
Their site says they have four 2005 V8s right now. This has changed since last I looked so they may have sold one. I haven't personally looked at those at that dealer since it's a bit far from me.
Old 11-30-2004, 03:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by EDGE
I read that and it says the guys has the V8 before ThanksGiving
there's no reason to argue about this - i've attempted to clarify the situation as much as i can. Anthony spoke with Toyota/TRD in regards to one of our clients who is getting a SC'd 05 ... and did so just a few days before Thanksgiving.

verb tense agreement = past when referring to how "Anthony spoke with Toyota" and "did so a few days before Thanksgiving"

i don't know how else to clarify it.
Old 11-30-2004, 03:41 PM

Screw that dealer, their a freakin cult, they have a forum or 2 and if you don't pay for membership or kiss their azz they treat you like an outcast, I tried to deal with them, do they really think Im gonna finnance a car over the phone then fly out and drive it back, that cost more then just buying it at the regular price, some of the stuff guys posted about cars they ordered, payed for and then after spending 2g's to get to the dealer the car they had never was and suddenly they have a similiar car in a different color and options that they never ordered and the price is 10k more .

Carson I don't know about them but so far dealer websites are listing 4Runners as V8 models but their V6, mislabeling them or just not labeling them at all

It's cool, Im set on a 4Runner but I may wait it out with my ES300 and get a M45 or GS430, as well as other cars on my list
Old 11-30-2004, 03:43 PM
Banned

a cult! a toyota cult!
Old 11-30-2004, 03:47 PM

there's no reason to argue about this - i've attempted to clarify the situation as much as i can. Anthony spoke with Toyota/TRD in regards to one of our clients who is getting a SC'd 05 ... and did so just a few days before Thanksgiving.

verb tense agreement = past when referring to how "Anthony spoke with Toyota" and "did so a few days before Thanksgiving"

i don't know how else to clarify it.
Im not taking it out on you or anyone, Im just fed up with all the BS and just recently I went down to the Toy dealer to see my supposedly loaded V8 05 4Runner and it's yet again a V6 Limited with no Nav or X-Reas and their trying to force me to sign the papers for the truck my anger management issues where starting to come back
Old 11-30-2004, 03:48 PM

a cult! a toyota cult!
yeah a cult they just use Toyota as a front, a cover up
Old 11-30-2004, 06:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by EDGE
Im not taking it out on you or anyone, Im just fed up with all the BS and just recently I went down to the Toy dealer to see my supposedly loaded V8 05 4Runner and it's yet again a V6 Limited with no Nav or X-Reas and their trying to force me to sign the papers for the truck my anger management issues where starting to come back
i understand, for sure! do you want me to come with you and leap over the counter/desk, grab the salesman, and tell him/her about what we'll pull through his/her face?
Old 11-30-2004, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Koz

Rivalred - As per TRD; they have no plans, at the moment, for supercharging the VVT-i V6/V8. I asked about advertizing (rag mags) a blower for the VVT-i V6 and they had no clue.

Koz
Then who is going to supply the S/C for the 4.0 V6 that Toyota has been talking about since the Detroit Auto Show on the X-Runner?

I highly doubt Toyota would go public, especially at the Detroit Auto Show and talk about a S/C that will be available for the 4.0 V6.

Hmmm: http://www.autosite.com/Previews/200...a-x-runner.asp
http://www.tuningnews.net/news/040206/toyota-tacoma.php

And: http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/auto...a/xrunner.html

I have talked to the person who wrote that article also for pickuptrucks.com

I am confused with what you are saying and with what many articles have stated.

Last edited by Rivalred; 11-30-2004 at 06:20 PM.
Old 11-30-2004, 06:20 PM

I have an 03 with SC I experienced issued with the ECU not being mapped correctly. I called TRD and got the problem solved with a new ECU I installed. The problem was noticed when a friend bought and 04 2wd V8 and we raced and the cars where exactly the same, exactly. This was done with multiple, multiple side by side runs. Being not pleased I contacted TRD with limited success. I even called and said I found a SC on ebay and asked if they thought I should purchase it since they no longer sold them, the response was "no comment".
I later was able to connect with Bob Garner at TRD who knew exactly what the problems was said he had a few ECU's specifically for this problem. Sent me a knew one and the problem was fixed, I smoked my buddy's 2wd, despite some on this forum claiming the parasitic loss in drive train friction would eat the claimed 118HP added by the SC and a 4wd V8 wouldnt be faster then 2wd.I dynoed the truck at 225HP to the wheels with the center diff locked. The boost was just under 7 PSI as claimed, fuel ration a little rich. Ran 14.9 at the track.
I cannot believe this small amount of boost would damage the pistons, crank or rods, who ever is claiming this I would like to know where your evidence is.

Quick Reply: 04 V8 S/c