Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

'04 tacoma new owner....happy until today

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 09:03 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not that it is a huge deal but, the shocks on the 04 TRD's are blue Tokico's not the yellow bilies. Totally sucks that this happened to you. I would try to go back and see if they will make it right on good faith. Worst case is they say no.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:28 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Adam F
Eaton? I'm pretty sure the locker is manufactured by Toyota.
Then you would be incorrect. It is manufactured for Toyota by Eaton and is badged as TRD.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:48 AM

Detroit Turbo, are to located in Metro Detroit as I am and maybe I could help ya out...

Post here and let me know.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Rivalred
Detroit Turbo, are to located in Metro Detroit as I am and maybe I could help ya out...

Post here and let me know.
Yes, I'm in Dearborn Heights. Just outside of Detroit.
Old 11-06-2005, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by DetroitTurbo
Yes, I'm in Dearborn Heights. Just outside of Detroit.

What dealer did you buy it from?
Old 11-06-2005, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Rivalred
What dealer did you buy it from?
Sent you a PM.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:35 AM

so the black overfenders (flares) are always black on a tacoma if its TRD? that means when they are the vehicle color, it is not TRD? what is the main thing you should look for when you are looking for a TRD tacoma? Thanks!
Old 11-07-2005, 01:29 PM

I spoke to the owner of the dealership today and he had spent half the day trying to find out what had happened here.

I guess somewhere along the way this truck was badged as a TRD, possibly from the factory, and obviously shouldn't have been. The owner was being very helpful and active in helping me get this resolved which is a very good sign.

He asked me if I just wanted some $ out of the deal, and I told him about the ARB locker setup. He told me to get a price on the ARB setup and we could probably work it out.

I need to find a shop here in MI that does high quality work and get an estimate from them for the ARB setup and labor. I did some reading on that locker vs. the detroit and even though it sounds like the ARB has had some issues its almost always due to the way it was installed. So I want a place thats going to install the compressor in a good location, run the lines so they won't get damaged, etc.

If anyone knows of a place that can give me a quote for the ARB install here in MI that would be great. I checked out arbusa.com but it didn't give any info for local dealers.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by dustin_the_table
so the black overfenders (flares) are always black on a tacoma if its TRD? that means when they are the vehicle color, it is not TRD? what is the main thing you should look for when you are looking for a TRD tacoma? Thanks!

The fender flares can be black, or body color. A True TRD Tacoma will have a V6, Rear locker, Progresive rate front spring, Blue or yellow billstien shocks, and a TRD sticker on the rear fenders.

Craig.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:31 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I spoke to the owner of the dealership today and he had spent half the day trying to find out what had happened here.

I guess somewhere along the way this truck was badged as a TRD, possibly from the factory, and obviously shouldn't have been. The owner was being very helpful and active in helping me get this resolved which is a very good sign.

He asked me if I just wanted some $ out of the deal, and I told him about the ARB locker setup. He told me to get a price on the ARB setup and we could probably work it out.

I need to find a shop here in MI that does high quality work and get an estimate from them for the ARB setup and labor. I did some reading on that locker vs. the detroit and even though it sounds like the ARB has had some issues its almost always due to the way it was installed. So I want a place thats going to install the compressor in a good location, run the lines so they won't get damaged, etc.

If anyone knows of a place that can give me a quote for the ARB install here in MI that would be great. I checked out arbusa.com but it didn't give any info for local dealers.
glad ot hear things are moving positively along. sounds like a good owner who understands how to resolve problems.

good thing you also took some time to search/read about ARB and ARB problems re installs.

personally if i were in your shoes, id definitely get the ARB, esp since it will most likely be paid for by the dealership. sorry, i dont have any recommendations, but maybe members INSrunner (sp?) and rivalred might know.

bob
Old 11-07-2005, 04:46 PM

Sounds like you are coming out pretty good in the end. Many dealers may not have made such an offer.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:47 PM

Preferable to work it out

If they don't compensate you in some way that satisfies you then I would sue them for breach of contract - misrepresentation, fraud etc.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:52 PM
Contributing Member

pm member aznsky he knows a good experienced shop in michigan
Old 11-08-2005, 01:13 AM
Contributing Member

wow, seems there are some people that are concerned about repeat business and looking after customers! keep us posted on developments.

lee
Old 11-08-2005, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5

personally if i were in your shoes, id definitely get the ARB, esp since it will most likely be paid for by the dealership. sorry, i dont have any recommendations, but maybe members INSrunner (sp?) and rivalred might know.

bob
A guy I know who is a Toy Mechanic told me about a rear end shop, but I can not remember where it is. I will try to find his e address and shoot him an email in the next day or so for installation atleast.

As for ordering a ARB, probobly directly from them or the shop could order it with the address you could provide them and then the they could do the install. Then they are doing everything, its all on paper and so forth (shop handling the ordering/installation).

And Detroit Turbo, try to get more than a E-Locker if you do not have the yellow rear shocks. Another $200 bucks or so will not break the dealer on a $20,000 + deal.

Last edited by Rivalred; 11-08-2005 at 03:03 AM.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:58 AM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Did your truck come with the 265/70R-16 tires?
Old 11-08-2005, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Paul H.
Did your truck come with the 265/70R-16 tires?
No, and I'm not happy about that. I would much rather have those wheels, but I don't want to push the issue.

The ARB setup is around $900 including the compressor, and labor is around $650.

I talked to two shops in the Detroit area that both quoted about the same price for the install.

It seems odd that the TRD option was only $1100 for the locker, shocks and wheels. This ARB locker is over $1500 alone.

If this dealer I bought it from is able to go after the original Toyota dealer for reimbursement than maybe they wouldn't be opposed to paying for the locker, shocks and wheels to make the whole thing complete. I do feel somewhat responsible for not having the knowledge of what the package should have included. If I would have known all this, it would have taken two seconds to notice that it was missing the TRD setup.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:20 PM
Contributing Member

with a trd you get the shocks, fender flares, raised white letter BFG Rugged Trails 265/70/16 on the toyota directional wheels, e-locker, extra skid plates, and stickers.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:29 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
All of you "sue the bastard" people have missed the point:
-This is a used car
-This was NOT bought from a Toyota dealer

Laws vary state-to-state, an I'm no lawyer, but all used cars are bought "AS-IS". As this seller is in no way affiliated with Toyota, he will not be held responsible for knowing all the ins-and-outs of what is a TRD package and what is just a sticker in a court of law.

The seller is going WAY above and beyond by working with you at all. Be as fair to him as he is being to you. Be sure to post his name and address proudly here because he deserves al the extra business he can get for this great customer service!
Old 11-09-2005, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by tc
All of you "sue the bastard" people have missed the point:
-This is a used car
-This was NOT bought from a Toyota dealer

Laws vary state-to-state, an I'm no lawyer, but all used cars are bought "AS-IS". As this seller is in no way affiliated with Toyota, he will not be held responsible for knowing all the ins-and-outs of what is a TRD package and what is just a sticker in a court of law.

The seller is going WAY above and beyond by working with you at all. Be as fair to him as he is being to you. Be sure to post his name and address proudly here because he deserves al the extra business he can get for this great customer service!
Thanks for using the B word there bud. If you read the posts, the vehicle was puchased from a Toyota dealer in Grand Rapids MI that went under and the vehicle is a 2004 and still has a factory warranty. The seller might not of known, but they need to know the product they are selling especially when the mom and pop shop states they have sold more Toyota's than the Toyota dealer in Traverse City (TC).

Welcome to Yotatech.

Quick Reply: '04 tacoma new owner....happy until today