86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

yotarob2005's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 08:46 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Wow buddy! That STINKS not getting what you were told/paid for! I'm rootin for ya, and as I think a day off is a good idea, ....I know how that can sometimes cause aneurysms for some of us who just can't let something rest for a day! hahahaha. "GOT TO .......BEAT THIS.... GRRR!" lol. Nah, you're a pretty calm, cool and focused guy, Rob, I know you'll be ok.

Only thing I could recommend is to NOT start something near the trip departure deadline that you will NEEEEEEEED done before you can wheel. Obviously you know that, just a reminder from a Homie cross the country! lol.

Have a good safe week, Rob, k?

Mark
Old 04-04-2011, 08:47 AM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Yes I know I will be dropping the tank again, I have not put any fuel back in it since I drained it to moddify the tank mounts. My tank is new, no rust at all. The guy I bought the 4runner from replaced it with a new tank from Oreily's a couple weeks before I bought it from him so it is maybe 1-1/2 years old at the most. At least that is one thing I don't have to worrk about. Thanks for the heads up though, I cannot stand dealing with rusty fuel tanks.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by jason in tn
I know like the rest of us you want to get it done but with all the work youve got done maybe a day off isnt a bad thing rob. glad to hear your dad helps ya out my dad is a mechanical genious but thinks modifying a vehichle in any way is a waist of time still love him tho
Maybe you are right Jason, I'm sure the day off wasn't a terrible thing. I did at least mange to get the garage cleaned up. That is something in itself.

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Wow buddy! That STINKS not getting what you were told/paid for! I'm rootin for ya, and as I think a day off is a good idea, ....I know how that can sometimes cause aneurysms for some of us who just can't let something rest for a day! hahahaha. "GOT TO .......BEAT THIS.... GRRR!" lol. Nah, you're a pretty calm, cool and focused guy, Rob, I know you'll be ok.

Only thing I could recommend is to NOT start something near the trip departure deadline that you will NEEEEEEEED done before you can wheel. Obviously you know that, just a reminder from a Homie cross the country! lol.

Have a good safe week, Rob, k?

Mark
Thanks Mark, I'm cool with the sending unit I got just saying that I wish I would have been told up front. Really having the low fuel light is no big deal as long as the gauge works.

I def. won't be starting anything major that could hold up the trip. To be honest most of the things left on the list except the sliders and the rear bumper are more like "want to do" than "need to do". Maybe I should just relax a little? lol. I do get so wrapped up in this stuff that I get tunnel.

I am dying to drive the dang thing with the new gears in it. I am going to push tonight to get the shifter linkage fixed, the sending unit installed (since the tank is already drained) and the drive shafts back in so that I can drive it around some. I'm pretty excited to see how much difference the gears made.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:08 PM

DAMN IT! I'm ready for a test drive but the SOB won't start now! PISSED. Let me know if you can think of anything.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...rt-but-232933/
Old 04-05-2011, 01:19 PM

Before any of my starting problems last night I got the transmission shifter linkage replaced, it seems to be working well. Threw the rear driveshaft back in - still need to get the front one done. Also solidered and shrink wrapped up the getto wiring on the sending unit the guy sent me and had to drop the tank again to get that installed. Put about 5 gallons of gas in it (there was still 1 or 2 left in the tank) and the gauge seems to be working just fine.

Also my liquid Caddy's showed up today. These are pretty cool, not sure I should have spent $50 on them but I like them anyways.

Cross a few more things off the list, add a few new things

Originally Posted by yotarob2005
- Replace sagging trans mount Done
- Repair and reinstall exhaust Done
- take it to the exhaust shop
- Install rear axle shims Done
- Install new fuel sending unit Done
- Replace shifter linkage that I mangled while installing BL Done
- Replace rear 3rd and front diff with the 5.29's Done
- Fix drivers side manual hub
- Throw (fab) together a quick and dirty rear bumper, just something to get me by
- Weld on my rock sliders
- Weld on my front frame brace
- Raise front bumper mounts.
- Install the coolest cup holders on the planet
- Install starter button
Old 04-05-2011, 01:42 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Those are SWEET! lol. I want one now! lol.

Congratz on the Tank issue.... watching on the rest, even while I'm on vacation(It's a time filler when all them are sleeping by 9pm! hahaha)
Old 04-05-2011, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow you really brought that runner back to life man, good job
Old 04-06-2011, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by bm87runner
wow you really brought that runner back to life man, good job
Thanks man, it's been a fun project for sure.

Just knocked out some little stuff last night. Put the front drive shaft back in, did some measuring for the sliders, made a front diff breather extension, put the front skid back on, fixed my drivers side manual hub ect.

front diff breather

Ran it into the engine compartment to the core support, in between the radiator and washer fluid resivoir.

Also found a better way to hang this awesome exhaust hanger, lol

Last edited by yotarob2005; 04-06-2011 at 07:54 AM.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:30 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Nice to see you getting the list shorter. I seen you had a no start problem. I was looking into some threads and manual trying to find some help, but it is hard to find something when all is working. Same frustration I went through last week. Glad to see you got it going.

I looked at your new post and hadnt seen where you found the exact fix for it. Maybe I missed it, wouldnt want it to come back and bite you in the butt.

I think the rear diff extention is a good idea for any of these trucks. When your trip? Hoping to see get everything done in time to do a shakedown run and find any last minute fixes.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:19 AM

Good morning Terry. List is getting shorter. I do have an intermittent no start problem. Some times I hit the key and the dash lights up but I do not get so much as a click from the starter or starter relay. If I check power at the signal wire on the starter relay I get nothing. Other times I hit the key and it starts right up. It's a little frusterating. Last night I drove it to the store and when I left the house it starter, came out of the store and nothing. Good thing I brought a jumper wire, I just leave the key in the run position and send 12v to the starter signal wire and it starts. I get home and try trouble shooting it and it started everytime? lol. I guess for some reason it only starts when it's in my garage? I think the problem comes down to the ignition switch and I am going to wire in a starter button and be done with it.

Last edited by yotarob2005; 04-07-2011 at 04:22 AM.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hate when that happens that exhaust hanger is wicked man
Old 04-11-2011, 05:34 AM

4x innovations DOM rock sliders are finally done! I am happy with how they turned out, some of my welds look like crap but I have no doubts that they are solid. I over welded them if anything. Here are all of my pics.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice work Rob, those sliders look awesome! Cross another thing off the list!
Old 04-11-2011, 06:18 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Looks good man. I spy me now a rusty t-case.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:28 AM

Thanks guys

XXX - Aluminum doesn't rust, it is just dirty. I do not see myself even trying to clean it either.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:29 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
oh c'mon a polished aluminum t-case would be freakin sweet man, get on it!!!!!!
Old 04-11-2011, 06:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
Looks good man. I spy me now a rusty t-case.
I noticed the same thing. Of course, it is pretty easy to spot when the rest of the undercarriage is immaculate .
Old 04-11-2011, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by yotarob2005
- Replace sagging trans mount - Done
- Repair and reinstall exhaust - Done
- take it to the exhaust shop
- Install rear axle shims - Done
- Install new fuel sending unit - Done
- Replace shifter linkage that I mangled while installing BL -Done
- Replace rear 3rd and front diff with the 5.29's - Done
- Fix drivers side manual hub - Done
- Throw (fab) together a quick and dirty rear bumper, just something to get me by
- Weld on my rock sliders - Done
- Weld on my front frame brace
- Raise front bumper mounts.
I'm very close to the deadline on getting this list complete. I'm not very confident that it is going to happen. I can put off the exhaust shop and I just don't think I'll have time for the rear bumper. If I could still get the front frame bace and bumper done then I would be happy. I also have alot of packing and prepparing to do this week, I plan on heading out of town as soon as I wake up on Friday morning.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
oh c'mon a polished aluminum t-case would be freakin sweet man, get on it!!!!!!
No. Once I buy the adapter for a gear drive case then I might consider cleaning up the new case. That thing is going to get dirty again everytime I wheel. also once I get the trans skid on it won't be noticeable.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:46 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Looking good!!!!

Quick Reply: yotarob2005's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread