86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

yotarob2005's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 12:14 PM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
I ended up doing several things to the brakes and seems as though one of them did the trick, I am leaning mostly on adjusting the brake pedal in the truck making the bulk of the difference. It had no play at the top of the pedal and I think it was maintaining slight pressure on the booster and residual pressure was building up. I did replace the Master cylinder and the soft brake lines also.

Nothing exciting, but pics are manditory.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:35 PM

Front Range Off-Road frame brace

2" 4crawler Ultimate body lift with HD hardware upgrade.

2" 4crawler motor mount spacers.

The welds on the spacers look a little rough, I was thinking about cleaning them up but screw it, you will never see them anyways and they are plenty strong enough. I am pleased with them. My Bud Built cross member should be shipping middle of this week and then it is drive train lift time!!
Old 03-14-2011, 03:42 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Yeahhhh, Boooooeeey! lol. Awesome, ...didn't want you locking up and, ...yeah, you know.

Can't wait to see it even more lifted, hahaha.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good googly moogly your under carriage sure is purty! truck is looking fricken awesome!!
Old 03-14-2011, 06:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
heyy quick question how thick is tht front brace?
Old 03-14-2011, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Can't wait to see it even more lifted, hahaha.
This lift is all about ground clearance and tucking stuff up in between the frame rails. I hate how low the gas tank and cross member hang. I know I will not get a perfectly flat belly, but it will be close.

Originally Posted by Kuntryboy
good googly moogly your under carriage sure is purty! truck is looking fricken awesome!!
Thanks man

Originally Posted by twistedyota
heyy quick question how thick is tht front brace?
It's 1/4" plate. Can't go wrong for the price, it's alot of protection for the $$ especially if you plan on putting a bumper and winch on your rig.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:23 AM

I pulled my Transmission pan down last night to change out the detent or "kick down" cable. I know mine has been streched and I've had it held together with a bazzilion zipties to get me by. I bought another cable from a fellow YT member a few months ago, just never got around to installing it.

New trans filter and pan gasket

My rigged cable - you thought I was kidding when I said a bazzilion zip ties didn't you, lol.

Pretty easy job, besides of course the mess involved in removing the pan, thank goodness it has a drain plug. Naturally I ran into a problem, the cables are not the same, new one is quite a bit longer.

New vs old cable.

I got to thinking how I could make the longer cable work, after all it was very difficult for me to even find this one, more less tracking down another that is right. Here is what I noticed.

The legth from the small crimped on stopper on the cable to the end of the sheath is the same.

The distance from the stopper crimped on the cable to the pin that attaches to the throttle body (under my fingers) is different.

Soooo. I have a plan that I will put in motion today and hope for the best with the cable issue, more on that later.

All of this with the cable may or may not fix my problem, it is just a starting point since I KNOW it is not working properly. My trans works fine in first and second but seems to skip 3rd and go strait from 2nd to 4th, making it very difficult to get above 50 mph or so. I am inclined to think that I have lost one of the shift solenoids. I will order and replace those if the issue is still there once I get the cable worked out. The solenoids are a little spendy but very simple to replace. One bolt and one wire once the pan is off, you can clearly see all 3 in this pic, you can also see where the cable comes into the side of the trans. If I have to replace one solenoid then I will replace them all. (link below)

Here is how the cable hooks into the trans.

Transmission links for later

Replacement solenoids
http://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/97420K.html

Good info on Pirate
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=587521

Last edited by yotarob2005; 03-18-2011 at 07:11 AM.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:47 PM

Right on, Rob! ....coming right along, eh? Can't wait for more, man! hahaha.

Have a good weekend, Brudda.... be safe out there,

Mark

PS> NO TREES, YOU HEAR ME? lol.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:51 PM

Hey thanks Mark,

And an update on the cable: FIXED (I hope, lol)

Cut the excess cable off and machined a new pin

Brazed the new pin to the cut end of the cable

All good now, the new cable is still about an 1/8" longer from the stopper to the pin but I have plenty of room to adjust in with the jam nuts.

Last edited by yotarob2005; 03-18-2011 at 12:52 PM.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:54 PM

Amazing thread every ice I read it I learn soothing great job
Old 03-19-2011, 05:08 AM

Thanks a lot nvtoyota! That is a great compliment. Sometimes I think that no one is watching this thread, lol. This is going to be a big weekend for the old runner, I am planning to get alot done.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:47 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Hello Rob, I seen the zip ties and sometimes you just gotta work with what you got until the right part comes along. Looks as though your new cable you shortened should work.

Hope this fixes your skipped gear. Wishing you good luck for today.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:20 AM

Yeah I check you're thread every couple of days if not every day good luck on the transmission cable
Old 03-19-2011, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by yotarob2005
Thanks a lot nvtoyota! That is a great compliment. Sometimes I think that no one is watching this thread, lol.
WHA-WHA-WHAAAAAAAAAAAT? hahahaha. Honestly, I check it ANY time I see a post... I LOVE your rig, Rob, seriously. I'm really HAPPY for you that it's not having countless 'chasing your tail' gremlins, like mine! ......

hehehe, jk, I would NEVER do that to ANYONE, ...let alone you. lol.

Hope it's all put to rest with that last series of goodies... Now, on to the next, eh? Awesome, ..>I'm guessing you're going ahead with the Body Lift?

Have fun, man, ...Oh, and if you have any ideas on my build, let me know.... I'm really at my whits end, brudda! lol. Jk, but honest.... I'm back to guessing again, grrr! lol.

Have a GREAT weekend!

Mark
Old 03-19-2011, 05:39 PM

WHA-WHA-WHAAAAAAAAAAAT? hahahaha. Honestly, I check it ANY time I see a post... I LOVE your rig, Rob, seriously. I'm really HAPPY for you that it's not having countless 'chasing your tail' gremlins, like mine! ......

Mark
I know that you check in often Mark, lol, nothing meant by that, just saying that I have but a hand full of guys like you. I do the same for your thread, just wish I had more to offer you, your issues always seem to be out of my area of expertise but I am ALWAYS watching it. When you get to the suspension stuff then I will be of more help to you. PROMISE, lol.

Today was up and down, I did get a lot done, had a good friend come and lend a hand, could not have done it without him. The new trans detent cable is installed and it seems to be working MUCH better, but the jury is still out on weather or not it is completely fixed. I did drive it around town a bit and I have 3rd gear now, but it still doesn't quite seem perfect. More on that later.

The body lift is done and went pretty smooth......well of course there where some problems. We had a hard time getting the body off the frame and did a little damage to BOTH front fenders with a high lift jack - but no big deal, I can fix it before I repaint, it's nothing toooooo bad. Man does the truck seem high with the body lift! Got the motor mount spacers in and temporarily stuck some 2x4's in the cross member since I am still waiting for my Bud Built to be delivered. I am VERY pleased with the height of my transfer case!! This is where things went south though, my trans mount is completely torn, I didn't realize it until I started lifting the trans off of the original cross member. I'm not sure what to do about it, have looked every where for a new one but there are none available to be had. Tons of aftermarket support for the manual transmissions, but no love for the autos, lol. I have a 02 tacoma mount laying around that I am thinking about cutting, welding, and overall adapting to fit.....more on that later. Also (my fault) I tore the rubber on the drivers side motor mount, it will for sure have to be replaced. I'm weighing out my options between stock replacement mounts and the Trail Gear "bomb proof " mounts. The TG's are a little more spendy of course, just trying to decide if it is worth the extra $$.

To top the day off, I cut the snot out of my finger while installing the motor mount spacers. I can see my bone! Knew it right away, my wrench slipped and I cut it on the sheet metal in the wheel well. I'm thinking about going to the urgent care and getting a few stitches. I know that when my wife gets home she will freak about it. Sorry no pics today, I'll get some up tomorrow. Just a bit discussted with the fenders, motor mounts, transmission mount and of course my finger. Gonna take a HOT shower and decide if I want pay out the ass to go sit in the waiting room for a few hours and watch the illegals get free care.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:07 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Ouch!! Sorry to hear about the cut on your finger. Been stitched up a time or two my self, but never to the bone. That would freak you out a little. Hope all goes well.

Usually when I have had to make an emergency room run, you have a longer wait then if you make an appointment. I have seen others with free care and they run to a hospital for the sniffles. Some really tie up the system with minor problems while you are setting there suffering. Dont take any more then you just have too. They charge as much for one aspirin as you can buy a whole bottle for.

Well on a better note, glad to hear you got quite a bit accomplished. I dont know much about auto transmissions or lifts, so Im not much help there. Maybe things will go smoother the next time. I feel for you, them knuckle busters hurt, seems like I get at least one every time I work on something.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:15 PM

Dang man, ....when it rains, eh?????? So sorry bout the finger, ...that kinda crap can REALLY slow ya down... But I'm sure you'll get it sussed and slap some metal again, soon!

Good to hear on the things that DID go smoothly... can't wait for the pics, but I totally understand. I've been really lucky, btw, not having any minor/major body damage due to some of the idiotic things I've done/dropped/fallen over and into this or that, hahaha.

Have a great one, Rob, Looking forward to seeing your results!

Mark
Old 03-20-2011, 12:39 AM

Man all the way to the bone that sucks as resourceful as you are I am surprised you didn't sow it up yourself any way good luck with that is there a major difference in you're generation and the next generation transmission mounting bracket mabey you could get one of those also I saw some cool motor mounts made out of some flat stock and a tube to hold a rear spring bushings it takes a little welding but we know you can do that .
The trouble from what I hear is that the bomb proof mounts have no give and let all the vibrations go to you and you're teeth and all the little things that chatter. Make noise and other wise don't like to be vibrated just a thought to role around in you're head any way good luck look forward to the next post
Old 03-20-2011, 09:45 AM

Rob,...... waiting with baited breath, ..... is finger ok??????? Sorry man, probably hard to type, lol.... just really curious if you're alright!

Best wishes for QUICK HEALING!

Mark(Aka; The Gremlin Rancher)
Old 03-20-2011, 10:17 AM

Rob,...... waiting with baited breath, ..... is finger ok??????? Sorry man, probably hard to type, lol.... just really curious if you're alright!

Best wishes for QUICK HEALING!

Mark(Aka; The Gremlin Rancher)
Yeah thanks Mark but it is fine, Sore as hell but fine. I opted to do a couple of sterry strips and some liquid band-aid instead of stitches. Wife bandaged it up good and I am in the garage working on my rig today, wearing my mechanics gloves this time, lol.

Quick Reply: yotarob2005's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread