86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

yotarob2005's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 09:48 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by yotarob2005
Thanks Mark, the garage, well it is coming along. I need it to be nice, but practical and still be able to park 2 trucks in there at once, which make storages and organization tough.

Yes, I have a Spartan locker made by Yukon, it has worked VERY well so far and I am pleased with the purchase. The diff breather extension keeps water from entering and contaminating the oil in the rear end, just in case a little puddle turnd into a DEEP hole you know?
Thanks for the info, and MAN, I had to look at that shop area again... really like the 'look', YA KNOW? lol.

Also, thanks for the re-input on the Spartan... I'm sure you mentioned that stuff, already, lol. However, you've used it a bit now. Good to know. It's such a HUGE price difference, between AIR, electric, lunchbox, etc., etc., and yet, I don't want to make any purchases any longer solely based on price. YOU DO, in most cases, get what you pay for. Obviously, being that mine is more of a DD than a Crawler, I probably wont need a 1500$ Locker, right? lol. Just don't want any 'half decent' products any more. Ya know? lol.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:51 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
Rob....love the workbench and cabinet.......I don't know JACK about the rest of the stuff you guys are talking about.

After 5 years of living in our house, I finally figured out that even though I have a garage, it's too dang cold out there to do anything in the dead of winter, so I'm moving my show to the basement (currently remodeling it) where I can very much have all my stuff secure and well lit and warm.......unfortunately I don't have the means to move Joe's motor down there.....so everything BUT his motor(and his 4runner) is going down there until the warm weather comes back. we have a 3 car garage but Joe's 4runner is kinda moved a bit too far thisaway to get the wife's 4runner in the garage(but mine fits, barely) and bay 3 is taken up by bikes and the tractor and the grill and stuff like that.....so her truck sits outside with my Cadillac.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...it is coming... I need... 2 ... in there at once...extension...in the rear... DEEP hole you know?
What a fague, lol
Old 01-20-2011, 07:33 PM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by drew02a
What a fague, lol
Good one Drew! That made me LMAO!
Old 01-20-2011, 07:39 PM

Good one Drew! That made me LMAO!
What can I say, I have a knack for that sort of thing.

You better hurry up and do do LT, 'cause I'm thinking about ordering the kit as soon as I sell my Tacoma to satan... 'er CarMax in the next couple days.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:28 AM

I could be as little as a couple weeks out from buying, but if you are a couple days away then looks like you got it. No biggie, I' won't pout about it.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:35 AM

I could be as little as a couple weeks out from buying, but if you are a couple days away then looks like you got it. No biggie, I' won't pout about it.
Not too much anyway, huh?

I might wait until after the 3.4 swap is done so it's not just sitting on a vehicle that's immobile.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:55 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
yotarob..When you replaced your back hatch, was the Haynes manual pretty clear on getting the back glass down in manual mode? Im guessing you used Haynes or FSM. Any tips or things to be aware of? Im getting ready to pull my backhatch off of my parts truck. The PO had broken the glass and had the tail gate stripped of all parts.

Looks like you had your work cut out on replacing a quarter panel. Turned out really well. I want to learn how to do that sometime my self.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
yotarob..When you replaced your back hatch, was the Haynes manual pretty clear on getting the back glass down in manual mode? Im guessing you used Haynes or FSM. Any tips or things to be aware of? Im getting ready to pull my backhatch off of my parts truck. The PO had broken the glass and had the tail gate stripped of all parts.

Looks like you had your work cut out on replacing a quarter panel. Turned out really well. I want to learn how to do that sometime my self.
Hey Terry. No Haynes or FSM, just took a little bit of reading here on YT and 4crawlers site. To get the window to go up or down with out having to worry about all of the BS the easiest thing is to make a couple of long jumper wires and run them to the battery. There are only 2 wires on the window motor. Just disconnect the connector at the motor and crimp some female spade connectors to your jumper wires and plug them in. Take the other ends of the jumper wires up to your battery and touch one to the pos. and the other to neg. To change directions just switch the wires at the battery.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:58 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

That sounds quick and easy. Im hoping to have mine replaced this Friday. Thanks for the info.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:33 AM

I ordered a cheap set of shocks for the front that will work with my BJ spacers, threw my 1986 original shocks in the trash a couple of months ago and haven't had any thing on there since, not a big deal since I haven't been doing anything with the 4runner anyways. They are 8000 series Doetsch-Tech and should be here middle to end of next week. They will not be a part of my final set-up, I just want to use them for a year or 2 untill I get abunch of other things worked out. I was planning on buying a Blazeland kit (which would of course require different shocks) sonner rather than later, but have pretty much made up my mind that I would rather spend that money on regearing and armour.

Something that has been bothering me about this project is that I have only been able to get a limited amount of enjoyment out of it. I enjoy working on it, but having it sit in my back yard all of the time isn't much fun. I really want to get it street legal so that I can drive it around town and to the local offroad park with out needing to trailer it. I think it would be cool to build the half doors and drive it around this summer with the hard top off, that way I can still get some pleasure out of it between wheeling trips and it would also give me a chance to work out bugs so that I could have a little more faith in it's reliablity. Not really sure that I want to continue calling it a "trail rig" anymore, while having it be capaible off road is the final goal, at this point it doesn't HAVE to be trail only, hell it is still mostly stock.

Now that I am out from underneath my Tacoma payment and a few other bills I hope this will be a better year for the old runner.

Last edited by yotarob2005; 01-28-2011 at 05:40 AM.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:03 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
My opinion on "Trail Rigs" yes they are fun but very limited. My thoughts are have good street legal wheeler then build a "trail rig".

I have thought about cutting up my 95 Runner since the body is turning to dust but I like the fact that I can still drive it to the trails and just run about with it when I like.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:39 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I hear you on the trail rig. Having one would be fun, but having the time and place to go is getting difficult, plus needing a tow rig, and the financial side of things. I figure having one road worthy that you can drive and do some milder 4 wheeling makes it a little more possible. You decide to go this route, I want to follow along.

Not having a car payment is how I plan on fixing my project. Somehow the payment money gets used for everything else that comes along. Sometimes wonder how we did it with payments. Oh well.. every now and then I get a dollar or two to get things moving along again. Just got to stay after it a little at a time. It will eventually get there. Never as fast as you would like. Hope you keep after it as I like watching what you have been doing on yours so far.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:22 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
I ordered a cheap set of shocks for the front that will work with my BJ spacers, threw my 1986 original shocks in the trash a couple of months ago and haven't had any thing on there since, not a big deal since I haven't been doing anything with the 4runner anyways. They are 8000 series Doetsch-Tech and should be here middle to end of next week. They will not be a part of my final set-up, I just want to use them for a year or 2 untill I get abunch of other things worked out. I was planning on buying a Blazeland kit (which would of course require different shocks) sonner rather than later, but have pretty much made up my mind that I would rather spend that money on regearing and armour.

Something that has been bothering me about this project is that I have only been able to get a limited amount of enjoyment out of it. I enjoy working on it, but having it sit in my back yard all of the time isn't much fun. I really want to get it street legal so that I can drive it around town and to the local offroad park with out needing to trailer it. I think it would be cool to build the half doors and drive it around this summer with the hard top off, that way I can still get some pleasure out of it between wheeling trips and it would also give me a chance to work out bugs so that I could have a little more faith in it's reliablity. Not really sure that I want to continue calling it a "trail rig" anymore, while having it be capaible off road is the final goal, at this point it doesn't HAVE to be trail only, hell it is still mostly stock.

Now that I am out from underneath my Tacoma payment and a few other bills I hope this will be a better year for the old runner.
WOOT! That's gonna be sweet, ...need some pics of you at the mall tackling those HUGE BOLDERS, like in that "Post my Pics" thread and here, above! hahaha. Seriously, that's a good idea, IMHO, Rob. Besides, take your time, make it street legal and then you'll have another rig to jot around for parts, to yards(so you can have it there with you at the yards, ya know?) and heck, it might even get 'trail and street' worthy quicker that way. I LOVE your rig, and I think more people in TX should see it!!! lol.

Thanks, again, for all your info....... Any thoughts On what I sent ya? Still wondering, but so held up for now with this timing cover thing, ...might not be such a rush liked I HOPED it would be! lol.

Stop by the build and school some people, homie! lol.
Bud!
Old 02-04-2011, 05:39 AM

Little snow this morning, road are iced over pretty good.

Street legal or not, I had to get to work this morning and the LSD in my Taco hates ice.
Taco stayed here.

4runner got me to work.

Seems as though I have a nasty oil leak but I am not lying in the snow to try and figure out where it is coming from, but I can tell it is coming down near the front diff. I'll look into it this weekend.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:47 AM

Rob....nice ...hehehehe

I think it's hilarious that 2 northern teams are in Texas and were probably expecting nice toasty weather for the Superb Bowel and are having weather just like at home.

My oil leak drips from the back(side to side) of my pan / block seal area down onto my diff....but only about 3 nickel size drops when I am parked.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:07 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by 92 TOY
... Superb Bowel...
hmmm... the superb bowel... very, uh, moving...
Old 02-04-2011, 06:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by irab88
hmmm... the superb bowel... very, uh, moving...
roflmao
Old 02-04-2011, 07:32 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
check out these texas boys being good to their fellow man. http://www.nbcdfw.com/weather/storie...115249944.html
this was posted on pirate thought i would share.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by mightymouse
check out these texas boys being good to their fellow man. http://www.nbcdfw.com/weather/storie...115249944.html
this was posted on pirate thought i would share.

awesome

Quick Reply: yotarob2005's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread