86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

yotarob2005's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 07:51 AM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Good job, I was looking over the diagram last night and think that you actually took the easy way to fix it. I say that because defeating all the sensors may not solve the problem since I don't really know how the control board is set up to function.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:12 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey Rob, ....thought I'd posted on this already, and now I don't see it. Plus, my User CP is not notifying me of half of my sub's.... Hmmmm. GRRRR! lol. Well, ANYWAYYYYYYYY, ..."CONGRATZ!" Seriously, I know how rewarding it is to have something come together through your own hands and hashing out through brain aneurysms and such, hahaha. Can't wait to see you wheelin again in that thing, just love it. Anyway, ....to answer you, ....uhhhh, .....NO, I haven't bought shocks. hahaha. To be fair to myself, I've not had ANY time for anything, lately.(Been waiting 2 FRIGGEN WEEKS on an oven!.....yeah, not conducive to my line of work, eh??? lol).

Anyway, hope you're well, and wanted to wish you a fantastic new year!

Mark

PS> Oh yeah.... while haven't bought shocks, I do FINALLY have my spacers. They came in and now it's go time real quick like. Also, I wrote Bilstein and they are NOT very responsive on which shocks are best with 2" lift, etc.... Wait, no....THEY'RE NON-RESPONSIVE! hahaha. Actually, they said, "Well, that's a common question. You can find another model that you can measure against that's already got a given compression/extension ratio that you'll want with your spacers"..... Uhhhhhhhh, WHAT? LOL. I think that translates to "Uhmmmm, we could care less, really. That model rig is around .00005% of our biz ......so good luck, yep!" lol. Jk, ....Guess they're just anti "Bad or questionable advice", and when we start modding' these things ,...yeah, I could see the apprehension in giving specific advice.

Anyway, yeah, again, G'DAY!

Mark(Or as my neighbors 4yr old cousin just called me, "Mr. Mowk", hahaha).
Old 01-10-2011, 06:07 AM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanks Mark, it was very difficult for me to wrap my mind around the mess of wires and relays, but it is working great now. I still have not cleaned up all of the wiring from the job, will be going back and routing them all cleanly ASAP. Here are the pics of what it looks like currently, pretty much a mess, lol

Here is how I mounted the 4 relays.

This is my orginal window switch mounted in the dash, it was a blank, the switch fit perfectly. (not the red switch in the pic, that is my temparary rock light switch)

I was planning on fixing all of the wiring this weekend and rerouting a few other accessories into the new fuse block. But I got side tracked when my buddy the cabinet and trim carpender called me on Friday afternoon saying that he was off for the day, in between jobs and had some material left over from the job he had just finished and had been working on a project we had talked about. He made me an upper cabinet for my garage to hang over my work bench and brought it over on Friday evening. I spent my free time over the weekend painting it (I hate painting lol) and of course reorganizing things in the garage. Looks pretty dang good if you ask me!

Last edited by yotarob2005; 01-10-2011 at 06:15 AM.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:16 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
I feel ya on the wiring, that's kinda how my headlight wiring is right now, I never did go back and clean it up. I have a problem with once something works I leave it alone. Because usually when I try to clean it up, it doesn't work again and I wind back up at square 1. hahaha
Old 01-10-2011, 07:36 AM

lol, I know what you mean, but I really have no choice but to fix this mess, the wires from the switch are running across the front and rear seats for crying out loud! I didn't want to take the time to do it right until I knew it was going to work.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by yotarob2005
I didn't want to take the time to do it right until I knew it was going to work.
I like the way you think. That's almost sig material. lol
Old 01-10-2011, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
I like the way you think. That's almost sig material. lol
lol, Sometimes the truth is funny.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:12 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
I get to replace my whole back hatch on mine. From what I have read on here there are a few issues with the wiring on the windows. I have never messed with the back hatch on a first gen and this is new territory for me. I will take all the tips and tricks you got.

I get a shop built and looking that good it will be my second home.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:06 AM

Terry feel free to ask any questions you might have about the tail gate and I would be glad to help if I can.

I got a few small things done this weekend. Mainly cleaned up the wiring to my rear window (PITA) and extended my rear diff breather, still need to do the front.

I did the diff breather using a fitting that Todd found at McMaster Carr. It is a BSPT male to NPT female adapter, with a standard 1/8" NPT to hose barb fitting and the stock breather hose clamped on the end. Running the breather to the gas filler was out of the question for me so I had to get creative and use about 3.7 miles of 3/8" hose.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:26 AM

why do I keep forgetting to do my breathers? oh that's right, I don't generally like ordering stuff like fitting through online and I can't for the life of me find anything in stock around here. haha. Good job Rob.

I really should do mine though as I think the factory breather is stuck closed to the point it's making my pinion seal leak.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:33 AM

Looking at that photo again, do you have enough slack in that hose for full droop of the axle? mainly if you put the truck up off both wheels? Might be ok with 1 tire off the ground as the diff doesn't really drop itself it just tilts, but with both tires, from that photo does not look like enough slack.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:53 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Nice going!!! I do agree with XXX doesn't look like there is enough for drop...

When I did mine on the 4Runner, the breather was shot so I popped the cap off and zip-tied a hose to it and ran it up and under...Just a thought.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:54 AM

Good catch. I didn't think about having both tires off the ground. I guess I had better be sure to always jack it up under the axle. I do have plenty of slack in the hose, I just need to moce the zip tie on the left over towards the right a 8-10".

Last edited by yotarob2005; 01-17-2011 at 07:55 AM.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:22 AM

or take for granted the zip tie will break before the hose does.

Good idea lumpy. Do you remember what size hose off hand? still the same 3/8"?
Old 01-17-2011, 08:33 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
I think I used a 3/8"...It was some hose I found laying around at work. I got it for nil.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:35 AM

When I do mine, I am gonna have to run lots of hose like Rob did. The flatbed has no "voids" in it.

I suppose I can build a box out of a radioshack project box though. Might run about the same price for the hose and be "cooler" lol.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:38 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Fhewwwwwwww, you've been busy, my friend! lol. Looks good, and don't worry, you'll clean that up in no time. Heat-Shrink wrap, romex and electric tape, ....DONE! lol.

What's this talk of diffing and breathing? lol... Jk, ....and you've got a spartan in there, right? Made by Yukon?

PS> DANG, that is nice work in the Garage, homie!
Old 01-18-2011, 03:55 AM

Thanks Mark, the garage, well it is coming along. I need it to be nice, but practical and still be able to park 2 trucks in there at once, which make storages and organization tough.

Yes, I have a Spartan locker made by Yukon, it has worked VERY well so far and I am pleased with the purchase. The diff breather extension keeps water from entering and contaminating the oil in the rear end, just in case a little puddle turnd into a DEEP hole you know?
Old 01-18-2011, 08:30 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Alright, i know this is really random and it probably wasn't you...But were you in Georgetown, SC today?

I did a double take when i passed an exact replica of your yota.
Same paint and everything.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:18 AM

Sorry Bojangles, but it wasn't me. Mine is tucked in by back yard here in Bryan Tx - or at least I THINK so. Who ever it was must have good taste in Yotas though, lol.

Quick Reply: yotarob2005's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread