86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

yotarob2005's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 12:25 PM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
I picked this up a couple weeks ago just because i thought it was cool and a nice way to clean up all of my wiring. I'm not sure where or how I am going to mount it, was thinking about pulling the cruise control box out (don't need cruise anyways) of the passenger side wheel well and building a braket to mount it in where the cruise control box was. Anyways I want to go back and re-route the wiring for my rock lights, CB, gauges ect. and have plenty of room to add things later. It has 12 fuse slots avaliable and also 12 grounds.

Old 11-19-2010, 12:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That fuse box looks like it was delivered to you by a handsome/charming man...lol
The following users liked this post:
yotarob2005 (11-19-2010)
Old 11-19-2010, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Mauzer
That fuse box looks like it was delivered to you by a handsome/charming man...lol
I don't know about all of that, but his GF was a looker! LMAO!

Thanks Brian, I am just now trying to decide what I want to do with it. Have a bunch of wiring I would like to clean up and since I am saving all of my extra cash for a vacation, now seems like a good time to mess with it.
The following users liked this post:
Mauzer (11-19-2010)
Old 11-19-2010, 12:38 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
I've seen those, really thinking about getting one. I have a question though, what are the ganged terminals on the ground side of the box for? Just aux grounds?
Old 11-19-2010, 12:40 PM

Yeah, I use her good looks to make me look better...I'm sure people probably just think I have $$$ lol

I've been doing the same thing lately, budgets getting tight with the gf's bday, thanksgiving, and Christmas. I just stare at my rig and think of what I can do to it w/o spending too much...gonna be cleaning my TB this weekend lol
Old 11-19-2010, 12:43 PM

@ XXX ^ I am just guessing here, but it just gives you a comon place to put all of your grounds. I suppose the logic is that for every hoe you need a ground also so you can just run both wires to the same place. I was also thinking about trying to find something similar for relays, I have several already and would like them to be organized somehow.

What is your take on tossing the cruise control out? I never even use cruise in my 05 Taco, not sure why, I just prefer to use my foot, lol.

Last edited by yotarob2005; 11-19-2010 at 12:44 PM.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:48 PM

Yeah, I use her good looks to make me look better...I'm sure people probably just think I have $$$ lol

I've been doing the same thing lately, budgets getting tight with the gf's bday, thanksgiving, and Christmas. I just stare at my rig and think of what I can do to it w/o spending too much...gonna be cleaning my TB this weekend lol
Somebody (my wife) planned this ($$$$) vacation right after Thanksgiving and before Christmas so no real mod money for me. It will be a nice treat for us though, leaving the kiddos with Grandma & Grandpa and getting on a really big boat for 5 days sounds relaxing to me.
Old 11-20-2010, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any link to where you got that panel from? Thats awesome. I have a lot of electronics to hook up, and thats a great idea!

Thanks!
Old 11-20-2010, 05:16 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by yotarob2005
@ XXX ^ I am just guessing here, but it just gives you a comon place to put all of your grounds. I suppose the logic is that for every hoe you need a ground also so you can just run both wires to the same place. I was also thinking about trying to find something similar for relays, I have several already and would like them to be organized somehow.

What is your take on tossing the cruise control out? I never even use cruise in my 05 Taco, not sure why, I just prefer to use my foot, lol.
EVERY HOE!?!?! .............Robert! hahaha. JK, VERY NICE! Thanks for getting a pic of it up.... also, thanks, as well, to the handsome charming man with the looker wife who brought it to you! hahaha.

VERY nice... I saw one at Signal Electronics that I might get...it's fully sealed with a drain on the bottom in case of condensation I guess? Seems like a great idea. I have to fix my trailer wiring...the PO tore mine out, GRRRRRRR! Why in the heck would he do thatttttt? It's all hooked up in the back to the plug and almost right up to the fusible link box...but there are wires there, now? Very confusing, hahaha.

G'night, Homie...have a good one!
Old 11-20-2010, 10:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thts a really nice fuse panel.

dont know if i skipped over it or not but done any body wwork to ur runner lately?
Old 11-21-2010, 01:42 AM

Looks like you have had a bit of fun with your runner there.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:07 AM

I've got a relay/fuse panel similar to that by Busmann. Good stuff!
Old 11-22-2010, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by Ether
Any link to where you got that panel from? Thats awesome. I have a lot of electronics to hook up, and thats a great idea!

Thanks!
actually I don't. The truth about it is that a good buddy bought it and traded me some other stuff for it, all I do know is that he got it off of ebay. I'll ask him if he can provide a link and try to get back with you.

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
EVERY HOE!?!?! .............Robert! hahaha. JK, VERY NICE! Thanks for getting a pic of it up.... also, thanks, as well, to the handsome charming man with the looker wife who brought it to you! hahaha.
EVERY HOT! lol, Spelling FAIL! Good catch bud!

Originally Posted by twistedyota
thts a really nice fuse panel.

dont know if i skipped over it or not but done any body wwork to ur runner lately?
Thanks, not a whole lot of body work has really taken place, I have my replacement sheet metal welded in place and the new tail gate and tail light is on. Next I need to start sorting throught the wiring for the rear window and start smearing Bondo all over it. Here is a pretty recent picture, except for the tail light is mounted now.

Originally Posted by dunnarunner
Looks like you have had a bit of fun with your runner there.
Thats the idea! If it wasn't fun then I wouldn't have it!

Originally Posted by CamTom12
I've got a relay/fuse panel similar to that by Busmann. Good stuff!
Thanks!

And thanks to all of you guys for stopping by and checking out my thread. It is very rewarding to know that there are some good ideas here and that people can look at the work done and appriciate it. I know that my wife thinks I am crazy for starting this project, and belive me it is a never ending money pit, but I love working on it when I can.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:00 AM

I picked this up a couple weeks ago just because i thought it was cool and a nice way to clean up all of my wiring. I'm not sure where or how I am going to mount it, was thinking about pulling the cruise control box out (don't need cruise anyways) of the passenger side wheel well and building a braket to mount it in where the cruise control box was. Anyways I want to go back and re-route the wiring for my rock lights, CB, gauges ect. and have plenty of room to add things later. It has 12 fuse slots avaliable and also 12 grounds.

Nice, Drew gave me the one he had, hell even put it in for me yesterday...lol
Old 11-23-2010, 08:09 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by AlienXtx
Nice, Drew gave me the one he had, hell even put it in for me yesterday...lol
Who is this Drew person..... and when can he come by Palos Verdes, CA? hahaha. jk... very cool, XtX!

I'm definitely getting something like this.... I want it for an amp I'm planning and the alarm I'm planning and....OH DANGIT, that's right, I HAVE NO MONEY LEFT! hahahaha. Nah, I'll get it, especially the alarm! lol.

PS> Rob, ...whatcha think of getting those off road light locks? Locking nut w/key type thing....GEEZ, they're not cheap~! lol.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:11 AM

Rob that fuse block is exactly what I have been looking for. Thanks for posting it.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:26 AM

Hey Keith, I didn't know you were a yotatechie lol

And for documentation purposes that is a Blue Sea Systems 5026 ST fuse block
Old 11-23-2010, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Rob, ...whatcha think of getting those off road light locks? Locking nut w/key type thing....GEEZ, they're not cheap~! lol.
I think that if you are worried about them getting stolen then they might be a good idea. If you want something quick and free then just put a small tach weld on the threads of the shaft so that the regular nut cannot pass it. Leave some room so that they can be loosened and adjusted, just not completely removed.....you with me? If you ever need to remove them then break out the grinder or dremel and grind out the weld.

Originally Posted by richf
Rob that fuse block is exactly what I have been looking for. Thanks for posting it.
Sure thing!

And for documentation purposes that is a Blue Sea Systems 5026 ST fuse block
Thanks for the info Brian. And Keith only has 15 post here, but over 2K on TO so I guess he is more of a YT wanna-be, lol
Old 11-27-2010, 08:45 AM

And thanks to all of you guys for stopping by and checking out my thread. It is very rewarding to know that there are some good ideas here and that people can look at the work done and appriciate it. I know that my wife thinks I am crazy for starting this project, and belive me it is a never ending money pit, but I love working on it when I can.

Just read all 32 pages. Great work. I'll be coming back to follow your progress and pick up tips for my ride as well. The low budget, DIY nature of your build has inspired me. Thanks!
Old 11-29-2010, 12:36 PM

lol...Im not, Drew has my truck now so other then looking at Robs and Chef's builds I dont get on here.

Quick Reply: yotarob2005's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread