86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

yotarob2005's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 03:31 PM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
No, more worried that my CV angles are a little extreme. I think I will do a diff drop first & see what they look like, then decide if I want to machine them down a bit.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Rob, just thought I'd share this place near me and see what you think. I can't seem to find the option of 'lockers' for my rig, but I'm pretty sure yours are made by Yukon, right? They make Grizzly and Spartan, ....but this page of the ACCU GEAR site(it's right up the street from me, lol)... that page seems to cover only Gearing, Ujoints, etc. .........

http://www.accuautoparts.com/list1.jsp
They do have some lockers for your truck, but I did not see a Spartan. Here is a Lock-Right they do have.

http://www.accuautoparts.com/axledet...ts_id=PTX:1610

Very similar to the Spartan locker, works on the same set of principles. Only real difference is the pin and spring design, The spartan uses larger pins. If I recall, the price seems alittle high to me but I haven't priced these in awhile.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:38 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Sounds like a good idea. Let me know what you think on that site, ...WHENEVER you have time, Rob... no rush at all, if at all. Thanks either way! lol.

I'm off to see "Due Date" tonight.... should be funny! I really like Downey Jr.... grew up with him, and he WAS and is a decent guy from what I've heard of him now, lol. Looks pretty funny. BTW, you never answered me, ...wanna make me some heims? hahaha. I know, I probably don't need it for my application... but I DO WANNA AVOID CATASTROPHE! lol. I know, I know...stuff happens! lol.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:40 PM

Dang, thanks man! that was quick! hahaha. yeah, I guess they sell Grizzly's, same as Spartan from what I can see, but not for my truck, I suppose. Yeah, that's a lil pricey. I was thinking of just doing the rear. You have both or just rear? Can't remember, lol.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:45 PM

OH LORD, lol.... now I see it... 489$ or 689$ for my truck? fhewwwwwww, lol. Wow, well, NOT, lol.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:50 PM

Just the rear for now, But I will be adding a front at some point.

Enjoy the movie, I am off to way less fun things. It's a long story but I replaced my water heater in my house yesterday, just to realize that the water heater wasn't the problem & I actually have a hot water leak UNDER THE FOUNDATION OF MY HOUSE!!! It's been cold showers for me for the last 2 days. Been cutting holes in the drywall and listening to the pipes trying to track down the general area of my leak. I have a leak detection company coming tomorrow, prepaired to get a heafty bill for that, $235 for the first hour & $95 per hour after that. And that is just to FIND the leak They had better work fast!
Old 11-10-2010, 04:40 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
hey man....just catching up on my reading. been working way too much and will continue to do so for the next 2 weeks.

looking good. awesome bulldozer work too.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:32 PM

Holy craploli, Rob! Maybe you could just nudge them along by walking around with a sledge in one hand and a sawzaw in the other.....running? hahaha. Nah, that might not work. Seriously, sorry to hear that, man..... I hope they find it fast! What's the weather like over there right now? I know you probably have a heater, but DANG, I hated having to take cold showers when my first home was having issues getting RE-RE-PIPED! ....5 days without any hot water, really sucked! lol.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:26 AM

Well the plumbing is fixed, did it myself to save $$. Still cost a fortune but at least I am not completely bankrupt, I have a bunch of holes in my walls to repair & repaint but other wise I am back to focusing on my 4runner build up, lol.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:30 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
whew! wow, leaking hot water... glad you got it fixed

on with the show!
Old 11-12-2010, 08:31 AM

Hahahaha. PICS OF WATER HEATER JOB! lol, jk. Congratz!

Looking forward to seeing the pics of the body work, paint, to finished product(stages, lol)>

Best wishes, Rob,

Mark
Old 11-12-2010, 12:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how long did it take to fix the water heater?
Old 11-12-2010, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by twistedyota
how long did it take to fix the water heater?
Swapping out the water heater only took about an hour or so, it what happened afterwards that got me. Turns out the water heater wasn't the problem and I had a hot water leak under the foundation......big problem. I decided that instead of spending thousands of $$ and breaking the slab, to by pass the leak by running new plumbing up the wall and through the attic. THAT PART took me 2 days to diagnose and 12 hours to fix.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:02 AM

Very interesting opinions on diff drops! I haven't decided how I feel about it yet but this is worth a quick read. Check it out Mark.

http://tacomaoffroad.com/threads/395-Diff-mount
Old 11-13-2010, 08:09 AM

I'm on it like a WET BLANKET! lol.... few things to do today, posted in my build thread after you posted on my last posting......fhewwwwww, lol. K? hahaha
Old 11-14-2010, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by yotarob2005 View Post;
I posted this link in my build also but want to be sure you saw it.

Very interesting opinions on diff drops! I haven't decided how I feel about it yet but this is worth a quick read. Check it out Mark.

http://tacomaoffroad.com/threads/395-Diff-mount

GREAT, now I have more conflicting information to give me brain aneurysms! Hahaha. Just kidding, Rob... I appreciate the link and it was a good read. More taco related, which I guess, from what I've heard, can be a lil less 'tough' than these older ones...with a lil more travel but more chance of 'ISSUES'???

What would you do, or have you decided to do, I should ask, Rob? I don't want to put something in like the Diff Drop if it's going to cause me issues, but then again, I'm not sure the angles, risks are the same with our old beauties, ya know? Could you fill me in on what you learned from that thread? I'm glad I read it, honest... just not sure what to make of it in regards to my plans, hahahahaha.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:16 PM

Also, I was just reading on my Zuk Mod Thread in my sig, that the Blknblu guy, who has had Bj's and all that..... He was saying that BJ spacers only add droop? I didn't catch it then, cuz it's something I had NO CLUE on then(not much more now, hahaha, jk). Everyone is telling me that they add uptravel, not droop. I guess if they added droop, and I added the mega travel BJ's and shaved a lil of the lower stops, then I'd get more up travel by his theory? I'm really kinda lost on that... Looking forward to your input! hahaha.

Gonna do some research on google on the topic, too, hahaha.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:56 PM

Mark

I THINK I am going to go ahead with the diff drop, still not 100% sure, like you said lots of conflicting info. I do think they are not needed for second gen Taco's, I know alot of those guys and wheel with them regularly, I got started with them when I was modding my Tacoma, great group of guys on that forum BTW. It is my local group mostly, I would guestimate that I personally know 90% of the members on that board. We started it to organize local (Texas) meets and what not, we just pitched in on the software and I actually moderate that board. TO does not have the knowledge base for the earlier model truck and 4runners like mine & yours, but if you ever wanted to know anything about a 96+ Tacoma they know it all.

BJ spacers do mainly add droop travel to the best of my knowledge.
Old 11-14-2010, 04:49 PM

OK, sooooooooo, if I'm adding droop, anyhow, but making up for it with the Diff drop.... and then, I add the mega travel BJ's with 1.5" spacers, shave the lower stops(for uptravel addition), I should get some pretty decent range of travel without getting too crazy. And, by reducing some of the risk by dropping the diff slightly, that will protect me during droop, right? I don't have to worry as much about uptravel as the risks seem greater regarding droop, not stuff(I THINK, lol)....RIGHT? hahaha.

I'm ready to do this, and I should have the shocks in a few days(if not, I can get some cheap ones for now or just go with the OME's or Bilsteins)... Curious about that, too... From what my friend told me(the guy trading me for the Fox 2.0's, rebuilt, and maybe something else in trade for my tires)... he said that these Fox 2.0 adjustable and rebuildable shocks are the sheezy! lol. So, I will wait if it's worth it, ...and I take it that, if they're adjustable, I could go from proverbial 'Rancho 5000 stiff to Bilstein Soft' with adjustment, couldn't I?
Old 11-14-2010, 04:50 PM

PS> VERY Cool on the site, Mr. Super Moderator~! Very cool, and thanks, because I would like to some day own a newer Truck with a 3.4 or something.

Quick Reply: yotarob2005's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread