86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

yotarob2005's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 09:10 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Sorry, Rob....

The set I got of the Mega-Travel BJ's was the last set, Jim told me. We spoke for over an hour, and he was telling me what caused him to finally just 'close shop',..... much of which was the internet, in many different ways. Other ways were the 'threads'(Not Yotatech, lol.... He mentioned some others, though... and I'll let him speak for himself...he said he'd stop by on here and fill us in and show his stuff). He told me that Toyota sent guys over and helped them work out designs, and then they'd computer machine them out on these huge machines AT TOYOTA's facilities. He told me that there are some guys out there, not many, who know how to use the best BJ"s and machine them out perfectly to get you from 5-6" to 11" of travel, which is what I'll be getting when I'm done, hopefully, lol. He explained it all to me. I'll update when I get to that portion of the build.

Far as the prop's, ....MY PLEASURE, Rob, you're a genuine class guy! LOVE that lil Olive Tree Truck of yours, too, Rob! lol.... Hope you get her on the trails REAL soon.

Mark
Old 10-25-2010, 10:41 AM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
No biggie, thanks anyways, figured hey....it was worth a shot right? If you do see he has anything of intrest for my IFS, let me know OK? I would also like to get his idler arm brace, I bet those are long gone LOL.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:19 AM

Just go to Ebay and find "Tojo Products"... that's him, period. Write him a message and he WILL call you if you leave your number. He has TONS of things left....all seemingly around 50% off of orig. price, AT LEAST. He told me "they sold my bumper guard for around 300+, but he's not shipping them, too big, so just pick em up!" lol.

Best wishes!

Mark
Old 10-25-2010, 01:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks great!
Old 10-26-2010, 11:16 AM

Hey thanks Tom!

Installed the Tacoma brake booster & master cylinder last night. Besides me needing a new vacuum line for the booster it was a completely bolt on swap. I was wondering about the low brake fluid leve indicator wiring, but that is an easy deal also. The connector is different but the wires are all the same, just cut & splice. Still need to bleed everything, I got frusterated with striping all of the line fittings and decided to try & get a 10mm line wrench instead of continuing to screw them all up. I did NOT bench bleed the master cylinder, surely I will regret that soon enough but I did not have the little plugs that they give you when you buy one new. Hopefully I will see much better braking out of the larger MC bore diameter & dual diaphram booster.

Old 10-26-2010, 11:49 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Just go to Ebay and find "Tojo Products"... that's him, period. Write him a message and he WILL call you if you leave your number. He has TONS of things left....all seemingly around 50% off of orig. price, AT LEAST. He told me "they sold my bumper guard for around 300+, but he's not shipping them, too big, so just pick em up!" lol.

Best wishes!

Mark

Mark....i did the "tojo products" and came up with nothing.....is it a typo? i even typed in just "tojo" and got nothing pertinent

EDIT......I searched "downey" and then i saw TOJO PRODUCTS

Last edited by 92 TOY; 10-26-2010 at 12:12 PM.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:40 PM

DANG, I wanna do dat, Rob! lol.... Where'd you get the parts? Sorry if I've missed that...oops, if so, now JUST TELL ME! lol.

LOOKS GREAT!
Old 10-26-2010, 12:54 PM

Sure thing Mark. I got the parts from a local buddy of mine, best part is......he is a pretty good freind & gave them to me for FREE! All I had to do was clean them up & paint the booster. They are OE Toyota parts out of a 97 V-6 Tacoma, Maybe try pick & pull? I have seen a few Tacoma part-outs here on YT and they generally go for $50-75 bucks. Really easy swap! I can't say how much difference it make in braking because I haven't got them bleed more less driven it, but with a 1" MC bore & dual diaphram booster, it almost has to be an improvement right?!?! LOL.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:59 PM

"It would have to be an improvement, eh?"..... I would think so! And good price! Hahaha. Cool, I'll look into it, because I have 5000 MILE ENGINE OIL LOOKING BREAK FLUID in my Master.... and I'm concerned if I power bleed it(which I'm going to try, first) it might just finally give up the ghost. It's VERY old, possibly original. Anyway, even with the cyl's all new and new rotors and new pads and new drums and ahhhhhhhhh, lol... it's still turning black. So, I think it's just stuff in the lines along with, WELL, BEING OLD! lol.

Only thing I would ask would be..... Isn't that going to put more pressure on your Wheel cyl's and caliper pistons? Not meaning to be a debbie downer, just, honestly, ASKING? lol.

ENJOY MAN, and can't wait to see your post on it, how they work, etc.

Mark
Old 10-26-2010, 01:02 PM

Does anybody have a good plan for how to "bench bleed" this master cylinder? If I recall correctly, the master cylinders I have bought in the past came with little plugs for the 2 ports to prevent such a mess. I am sure that I'm gonna have some problems getting all of the air outta this thing.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Only thing I would ask would be..... Isn't that going to put more pressure on your Wheel cyl's and caliper pistons? Not meaning to be a debbie downer, just, honestly, ASKING? lol.

ENJOY MAN, and can't wait to see your post on it, how they work, etc.

Mark
I am sure it will put more pressure on the wheel cylinders & calipers....but that is the whole idea! The larger piston in that master cylinder is supposed to move more fluid with the same pedal stroke. I'll be sure to report back with how they feel once I get it all wrapped up, but I can tell you that even with new pads, shoes, calipers, rotors & proportioning valve my brakes still don't feel up to par. Maybe I am just too used to driving my Tacoma (which has excellent brakes). I bet if you asked that stupid tree that CRUSHED the rear quarter of my poor 4runner, it would agree that a brake upgrade was needed!
Old 10-26-2010, 01:18 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
kinda like the mechanic version of mr. rogers but you get the point.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOuDEiwiozQ
Old 10-26-2010, 01:31 PM

Oh yeah, I get it about the 'more to the cyl's with less of the pedal or equal' part... I'm just wondering if it could blow them out more quickly? ....Or if that's even possible? ....Or if the sky is falling? jk, lol.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:46 PM

Yes! the sky is FALLING! lol, Not sure if it would lead to premature failure of the calipers & wheel cylinders, but mine are all new, so I am just going to take a chance & see what happens. I have heard of other people doing this, but never of them having problems with other parts.

Thanks for the video mouse! I'll swing by Napa and get one of those bench bleeding kits.

Last edited by yotarob2005; 10-26-2010 at 01:53 PM.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:31 PM

Wanna borrow my horse blinders when you go in there, Rob? You know.....so you don't leave with 500$ worth of crap you don't really need? hahaha. WAIT! ....that's what happens at Costco, Trader Joe's and 4WheelParts Wholesaler! hahahaha. Nevermind.

Ok, well, I'll be watching, and I will try to powerbleed my system before replacing the Master. My brakes seem to work PERFECTLY, .....just a lil squeaky! lol. I'd rather save the money.... And I had a question, Rob...

When I try to line up my new Bumper Guard.... It doesn't seem to line up with the bolt holes that I guess are supposed to go on top! WTH? I'll get pics, but it's really that the 'bars' that come out on top and are supposed to mount to the sub-frame that those bumper bolts go into?.....the bars are in like 4" on both sides. Only way I can see it working would be to put holes in the bumper...can't be right, ....right? lol. Just hard for me to hold and take pics, I"ll try. I'll post it on my thread. Thanks,

Mark
Old 10-26-2010, 03:12 PM

Ok Rob, I posted the pics and info on my troubleshooting thread. It just can't be the right one....no way, lol. Unless I'm missing something? lol. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

mark
Old 10-27-2010, 06:40 AM

I picked up a master cylinder bench bleeding kit last night from O'reilys for $8. Also seems that I have lost my 10mm flare nut wrench.....GGggrrrrr! Had to buy a whole new set. O'well. The kit worked great! I decided to take the MC back off & do it in my vise, no biggie, it was a 30 minute job from start to finish I bleed all of the lines with my Mighty-Vac & the pedal has plenty of pressure. Also replaced the vacuum hose for the booster & wired up the low level indicator. It was pretty late & my kids where sleeping so I didn't start the truck & go for a test drive (it's pretty loud....I need new exhaust), I'll do that today for sure & report back with how the brakes feel.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:53 AM

WOOT! Bring that feedback for us! hehehehe. Can't wait to hear how it's workin!

Congratz........

PS> Coulda just stuff'd their ears with kleenex! Oh well, next time! lol.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:44 AM

I got out and did the old arround the block a few times test drive......man does it stop way better! I consider it a huge improvement! Almost got the tires to chirp alittle when I layed on the brakes which was unheard of before. It still does not stop like my Tacoma, but it is much better. I think I still need to do some fine tuning on my rear brakes, the self adjusters don't seem to be self adjusting, I guess I'll do the screw driver trick & adjust them myself. Also would like to get a buddy over to do some manual bleeding, I just did a quick job with my vacuum pump. Pretty happy with the results of the booster & MC swap, now I need to see if the brakes will hold me on a steep incline.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:19 AM

AWESOME! At least someone's rig is 'improving' day by day! hahaha. Sounds great, Rob, maybe do a video? Wish I'd thought of that for some of the before and after stuff, ya know?

Enjoy, and let us know WHEN your wheel cyl's show you they're fine! Fingers Crossed that you have no issues. Don't see how you would, at this point... GREAT! Congratz, brudda!

Quick Reply: yotarob2005's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread