86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

yotarob2005's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 09:00 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
OOPS, the 'in a minute part", hahaha.

I have a bud with a Straight axle.... he's talking to me about everything we could do and then the guy that would do my IFS could let me know how much more work it would be for him, depending on where we can get it to. So, as you can see.....i have quite a decision to make. I wouldn't even consider this, but it looks like the costs would be about the same, considering my new bud is going to hook me up on much of the labor for the IFS thing... so like I said, we'll have to see on the 'difference in cost' factor, ya know?
Old 09-09-2010, 05:20 AM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
One of my Tacoma buds hooked me up with a deal on these 4x Innovatios DOM rock sliders. They need a good cleaning & some fresh paint but they are a perfect fit for my runner. I won't be welding them on untill after I get my body lift done.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:35 AM

SWEET on the sliders....

Basically, as far as the Suspension thing goes for me, the guy I've been helping has a serious Race Truck Suspension FAB'r buddy, lol... I think he's known in the biz, etc. He said that the SAS, as long as I have the AXLE, do all the cutting, etc., ...would cost around EXACTLY the same as the (dual hiem on each side *&* new A-arm design thingymadoer, etc.), because the cost of the Hiems, Parts, etc. (Sorry, I can't remember all the stuff they do, but it's a bit different and lots more extensive than what you did(Something like a grand, either way, because of parts(springs or hiems , etc., etc.) One other thing I would have to consider is I can get an solid axle for free.... but it needs to be rebuild. It's from an 85. My buddy told me "it'd be wise to go through any you get, used, any how." The guy I've been helping also has a guy who does 10-spring packs(special ones) for the rear that don't sag and offer a really nice ride that gives but doesn't bottom out.

Again, I'm not sure, now that I've heard all this, what would be the best route or when I'd do it. Either way it would cost me around a grand. I guess that's a lot better than some I've heard on SAS's. OH, and the Grand would include these crazy shocks that they make and dial in, etc., .....special off road, HIGHLY adjustable shocks for comfort or stiff, etc.

Anyway, I'm a lil flustered waiting for next Friday to start my CAM swap... just don't feel right about trying to do it myself, lol. I WILL be waiting for the Buddy to return from AZ! lol

Later, Rob, ....Have a nice weekend!
Old 09-10-2010, 11:23 AM

I had excanged a couple PM's withRob2tec & I understnd what he is doing with his IFS & control arms. If you are interested in my $.02 then I would stay away from a solid axle swap & stick with a mild IFS system. What Rob is doing is really sweet.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:48 PM

Right, that's what my other buddy and I were discussing... and it seems the BEEFED and more flexy IFS will be better for me. I can't wait till next week to get my cam in and HOPEFULLY, GOD WILLING, put this 'GREMLIN TO RIP!' lol.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:50 PM

OH HECK, ......I don't care if it rests peacefully or not. I'm going to MOUNT that CRAP CAM on the wall in my room like a samurai sword!
Old 09-11-2010, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Right, that's what my other buddy and I were discussing... and it seems the BEEFED and more flexy IFS will be better for me. I can't wait till next week to get my cam in and HOPEFULLY, GOD WILLING, put this 'GREMLIN TO RIP!' lol.
I am looking forward to you putting that gremlin out of it's misery too.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:52 AM

Score one for me, My buddy brought these 5 KC Daylighters over for me on Friday, said he didn't think they worked, but I figured they might just need new bulbs or where not wired properlly. To my suprise they all work. You can't beat 5 free daylighters. I will probably try and get new rubber lens seals, clean then up & paint the housings. I hate chrome & 2 of them have some surface rust. Anybody know of a good way to paint over chrome? I was thinking of scuffing them up good & getting some self etching primer & high temp flat black paint.

Last edited by yotarob2005; 09-14-2010 at 07:05 AM.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:59 AM

I went shopping last Saturday. Drove to Dallas (3-1/2 hour drive) and went to the 4runner House. Owner is YT member 86sr54x4 & has nothing but 4runner & pick-up parts. He let me cut the rear quarter panel off of on of his 4runners. It has a little cancer but not in places that I need. I also grabbed up a good tailgate with glass and working motor & a tail light. Time to get started fixing the body damage.

Last edited by yotarob2005; 09-14-2010 at 07:06 AM.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice, when you gonna start the body work?
Old 09-14-2010, 08:32 AM

IDK, maybe this weekend. I have never done anything like this before so it is probably going to be a slow, taking my time kinda thing.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:02 AM

Saving this link for later. Electric fan related.

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/wiki/..._Toyota_Shroud
Old 09-14-2010, 09:08 AM

Dang, 5 OF THEM? LOL. You planning on working the border? Jk, .... anyway, are those 8"? If so, they're the ones in my thread that I had from pulling off of a Ram Charger I had..... they are BRIGHT SUCKERS! LOL. Suck a-lotta power, too.

Wow, great score on the "Cut-A-Part" find! lol. Looks straight and I think you'll get it no problem, Rob, ...you're a resourceful guy. Sure, THINK IT OUT, well... but don't sweat it, you'll do a nice job. I hate looking at that pic of the 'smash-in'... .gives me the chills for ya, just looking at it! lol. Can't wait to see it all done. You going to paint the tailgate while it's off?

PS> My brother in law owns a big hazmat co., and one of his clients is 'Prime Wheel'.... I believe they 'tank' the Rusted or spent stuff and then start over. That would be too much work, so I think rubbing them out would be a good idea. Maybe some 1200 or something in a circular motion until it's scuffy enough?

Best wishes,

Mark
Old 09-14-2010, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice body panel find.....lol
I thought you were going to Seans house this weekend?
Old 09-14-2010, 04:41 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
OH BOY ROB!!!!!

i'm psyched for ya.

good score.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Dang, 5 OF THEM? LOL. You planning on working the border? Jk, .... anyway, are those 8"? If so, they're the ones in my thread that I had from pulling off of a Ram Charger I had..... they are BRIGHT SUCKERS! LOL. Suck a-lotta power, too.

Wow, great score on the "Cut-A-Part" find! lol. Looks straight and I think you'll get it no problem, Rob, ...you're a resourceful guy. Sure, THINK IT OUT, well... but don't sweat it, you'll do a nice job. I hate looking at that pic of the 'smash-in'... .gives me the chills for ya, just looking at it! lol. Can't wait to see it all done. You going to paint the tailgate while it's off?

PS> My brother in law owns a big hazmat co., and one of his clients is 'Prime Wheel'.... I believe they 'tank' the Rusted or spent stuff and then start over. That would be too much work, so I think rubbing them out would be a good idea. Maybe some 1200 or something in a circular motion until it's scuffy enough?

Best wishes,

Mark
Thanks Mark. They are 6" KC Daylighters. More than I need for sure.

I am looking forward to learning the art of body work. Only problem is I heard it requires talent. That scares me a little, LOL. I appreciate the vote of confidence, just I wish I had your patience.

How is Rob2tec's truck coming along? You are a super nice guy for taking so much interest in working his problems out.

And your cam? Going in this weekend I assume? I can't wait to see a video of your truck running with that germlin gone. The cam swap should be easy enough, but good luck anyways bud.

Originally Posted by AlienXtx
Nice body panel find.....lol
I thought you were going to Seans house this weekend?
Thanks for the ride to Dallas man! I do plan on going to Sean's for the party, but that is on Sunday so I might get started on the body work Saturday. Depends on work. I am SUPER busy at work right now, The new position is not easy.

Originally Posted by 92 TOY
OH BOY ROB!!!!!

i'm psyched for ya.

good score.
Thanks Jerry, always good to see you dropping in. I'm psyched too. Lots of work in front of me though....just another learning experience.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:13 AM

My dad came over last night with a few old school body working tools & gave me a few pointers on beating out some of the damage the right way. He is trying to talk me into fixing more of the damage & replacing less sheet metal. We tack welded a bracket to the body in 2 places & pulled with a come-along & beat on it with the correct shape tool to work the body lines. I think that in the hour we worked on it we where able to get it looking much better. The areas we worked still need alot more work, but here are a couple pics just to give you an idea.

The tools:

Before:

After:

Old 09-16-2010, 05:20 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Good going man!!! I like hammers!
Old 09-16-2010, 07:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I commend your effort but I don't think your gonna get that tail light section reformed, are you just gonna "bang" straight as mush as possible then "bob" the corner and put in new sheet metal?
Old 09-16-2010, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Lumpy
Good going man!!! I like hammers!
They are fun aren't they

Originally Posted by Mauzer
I commend your effort but I don't think your gonna get that tail light section reformed, are you just gonna "bang" straight as mush as possible then "bob" the corner and put in new sheet metal?
OOHhh yes. I am most definatlly going to cut off the rear corner & completely replace the sheet metal. I have a donor quarter panel already. I am just trying to reduce the size of my patch. I was planning on cutting it off in the center of the wheel opening, but have been convinced that it would be easier & better to cut out & weld a smaller piece if possible.

Quick Reply: yotarob2005's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread