86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

yotarob2005's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 07:00 AM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
A couple of buddies came over last night to help me make some progress on the 4runner. Thanks guys! We got a bunch of stuff done. First off I bead blasted the wheel spacers I got on loan & installed them, finally was able to get it off of the jack stands.

We installed the new idler arm & then set out to bleed the brakes. The rears where giving us some trouble so we decided to pull the drums & try to adjust them. Found that the lovely mud from Alto had gotten into the drums & destroyed my brake shoes. A quick trip to Oreily's an $12.99 later & we where swapping out brake shoes.
Before

After: brake pedal feels much better now.

It's pretty hard to get a good pic of the trucks new stance with the BJ spacers in the garage, but it looks really good. I ended up making the spacers 1-7/8" tall, but my measurement from the ground to the bottom of the front fender went from 35-1/4" to 37-7/8". I 'm sure it will settle some. I haven't installed the rear shackles, but after we disscussed it last night, we all agree that the stance looks good as is. I am thinking about removing the AAL & then putting the Shackles in.

This pic shows how far the front wheels stick out with the wheel spacers, I know have plenty of clerance between the tires & the UCA.

Last edited by yotarob2005; 06-23-2010 at 07:07 AM.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:50 AM

Do you guys remember after my last wheeling trip that my rear bumper made the trip home in the bed of my Tacoma?

The bumper brackets bent and the bumper went right under the 4runner, well I have another wheeling trip to the same park coming this weekend & I really wanted to get the rear bumper back on to protect the body, even if it was just rigged. I plan on making new, heavier duty bumper brackets but I just don't have time to get them done. So I took the twisted up ones & straitened them the best I could in a hydraulic press & then welded on some braces. I also cut about 2" off of the end that mounts to the bumper & drilled new holes to hoefully have it sit higher & tighter to the body as compared to the next pic. Took about 45 minutes to fix both of them. Before you guys die laughing at how crappy they look, just remember that it was this or no rear bumper at all. I'll go back & fix it right soon...I promise.

Here they are booty fab at it's worst. I'll slap the bumper back on tonight.

Last edited by yotarob2005; 06-23-2010 at 08:00 AM.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:51 AM

Received 307 Likes on 211 Posts
Just read through your whole thread! Very nice work, I like the direction this is going! Enjoy that locker, traction is soo nice!
Old 06-23-2010, 08:56 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Rob, I'm really impressed man! It's looking great and, well, it's also gonna be practical, not just sporty with rugged good looks! hahaha.

Man, I really miss having my rear springs not being totally bent FLAT! lol

Have a GREAT TIME, ROB! This weekend, eh?
Old 06-23-2010, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by RE-RE
Just read through your whole thread! Very nice work, I like the direction this is going! Enjoy that locker, traction is soo nice!
Thanks alot RE, it has been a work in progress thats for sure, working on it as I can afford to you know. There will be lots more to come!
Old 06-23-2010, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Rob, I'm really impressed man! It's looking great and, well, it's also gonna be practical, not just sporty with rugged good looks! hahaha.

Man, I really miss having my rear springs not being totally bent FLAT! lol

Have a GREAT TIME, ROB! This weekend, eh?
Thanks Chef, yeah this weekend, back to the same off road park I had such a miserable time at last time. I am hoping that with the new locker & lift that I will be a little better off than last time. Some of the hill climbs at this place are killer tough so wish me luck!
Old 06-23-2010, 09:09 AM

Hey Rob, ......YOU'LL BE FINE! Just balance some 'wise' with the 'crazy-risky', k? hahaha.

I know I'm repeating myself, but....lol....Does your truck idle high when cold? You know, IACV thingymadoer?
Old 06-23-2010, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Hey Rob, ......YOU'LL BE FINE! Just balance some 'wise' with the 'crazy-risky', k? hahaha.

I know I'm repeating myself, but....lol....Does your truck idle high when cold? You know, IACV thingymadoer?
Anytime Chef, ask away, If you need me to test anything on mine to compare notes then let me know, I'll be glad to help anyway I can. Yes, mine does idle high when cold & drops off as it warms up.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:11 AM

THANKS! Gosh dangggggggg it seemed I couldn't get an answer on that! lol. I know they're supposed to, but I think many IACV's at 200k+ miles just don't stay open enough when cold to really do much. I just looked, at Toyota, at the new one?....QUITE A BIT more open than mine, ...NOT WIDE OPEN, ...but about 1/8th" more....and mine is nearly shut from the get go, ....just 1/16-1/8th" open, total.

Thanks man! Can't seem to figure out my miss, but I think it has something to do with either the O2(doubtful) or WHATEVER is making the O2 code kick in when idling it up to 2000rpm or so, .....EVEN WHEN COLD! lol. So, you see why I'm so confused,...O2 Code when cold?????? lol
Old 06-25-2010, 10:56 AM

I finally got around to hooking up my oil pressure gauge. I used the factory oil pressure sending unit hole, directlly under the oil filter. I really wanted to keep the oil dummy light on my dash functional so I ended buying a few fittings & running a T so that I could have both. Also important to note that the threads for the factory oil sending unit are 1/8" BSPT (britsh standard pipe thread) not the standard NPT that we are used to. Since the hardware that came with the gauge was NPT, adapters had to be used. running it into the T required quite a few fittings, I ordered all of them from McMaster Karr.

Here are the McMaster Karr part numbers for everything I used.

1/8" BSPT nipple
http://www.mcmaster.com/#4824k111/=7osr8o

1/8" BSPT all female T fitting
http://www.mcmaster.com/#4810t141/=7osrop

1/8" BSPT male to 1/8" NPT adapter
http://www.mcmaster.com/#4092k11/=7oss5i

The nipple screws into the the block where the factory sending unit was, T scres into the nipple, factory sending unit into the the T. The the 1/8" BSPT to 1/8" NPT adapter into the final leg of the T & the fitting supplied with the gauge into the NPT adapter.

I do NOT recomend using the plastic line like what came with my gauge. I fully intyend on replacing this line with copper. I am worried that the plastic line will get brittle & break, but I went ahead & used it anyways for now, will go back & replace it soon.

Remember how nice & clean my block was before? Now it is coverd in mud stains, I guess that is what wheeling will do for you.

Last edited by yotarob2005; 06-25-2010 at 10:57 AM.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:04 AM

Also mounted a fire extinguisher to my roll bar, just a couple of U-bolts. Doesn't get ant easier than this guys.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:04 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
ahh a little more complicated than i thought. thanks man.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:07 PM

COOL, ROB! Glad to hear you can actually see if it's losing pressure now. Also, that Fire Extinguisher mount? ....Good work, but around here, in Los Angeleeeeez? ..... We call that "GONE IN 60 SECONDS" hahaha. I know, I know, ....it's a trail rig, you're good. Just being silly/honest, lol.

Hope you have a great weekend, Rob, traveling mercies for the fam!

Mark
Old 06-28-2010, 08:44 AM

Took the 4runner to BVORR this past weekend. Right out of the hole I had the same trans problems as last time. It just wouldn't pull. Todd brought his cousin Brent who just so happened to be a former long time Toyots & Lexus tech. I took him for a ride & he knew what the problem was right away. The detent cable was way out of adjustment & not allowing enough fluid pressure on the clutches. With a little investigating we determined that the metal crimp on end of the cable sheath had pulled way out & I was just over an inch of cable adjustment from where I was supposed to be. I need a new cable, but with a little muscle, a few bad words & a bunch of zip-ties, we had the trans working great. I am extremely grateful that Brent was there, I might have never figured that out. After that I was very happy with how the Creampuff did on the trails. The locker was awesome & really made the difference when climbing those rediculously steep hills.

I have more pics that I will post of the trip soon. Here are just a few.

I need to fix my fuel gauge, this was not a great place to run out of gas.

Can't really tell in the pic, but that tire is about 2 ft. off the ground

Some clowns trying to keep my rear tires closer to the ground

Last edited by yotarob2005; 06-28-2010 at 10:11 AM.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:48 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Nice man!!! Glad to hear you had a good time.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:07 AM

Yeahhhhhh, .....sweet, Rob. More pics coming? lol. Glad you enjoyed the lockers. MAN I wish I had more cabbage to beef mine up, ...but I'm happy as long as it does the minor/major stuff gets me to my lil tucked in spots, hehehe.

More pics, more pics, more pics! lol.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:48 AM

Not many pics but here is what I did get. Wish I would have gotten more.

Man I really need to get some longer shocks, they are most definatly the limiting factor. This flex is pathetic!

Old 06-28-2010, 11:03 AM

Nahhhhh, not pathetic, ....."A work in progress!" hahahah.

I ordered Zuks yesterday,....they'll be here Monday, and I'll let you know asap how good the flex is. You don't have those, right? I have Rancho 9000's in the rear already, but they might be toast, as the coils being flat has probably got them bottomed for quite some time, hahaha. However, we'll see when I bring the rear back up, ...yeah? lol.

GREAT PICS! MAN, DUDE, I GOTTA GET OUT THERE ASAP! Just wanna do the springs first. I was gonna do the OME kit, but just don't have the 900bones at the moment. So, 70$ w/shipping and probably 3" in the rear up and...well, MUCH MORE COMFORTABLE RIDE, ...I should be good to go for a couple trips. YEA!!!! LOL

I love your truck, man! It's not all CRAZY high and it just looks so rugged! lol.

Glad you're enjoying the new goodies on there. Lockers worked great, eh? I really need to read up on this stuff. I have a L2 on my knob, lol....but I'm guessing it can pop out?

Have a good one, Rob! Thanks for the pics!
Old 06-29-2010, 06:23 AM

2 more pics that a buddy took, & I liked. Not sure why the pics are always of me going down hill instead of up. This park has some rediculous climbs.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:18 AM

Steeeeeeeeep! lol. You should see the SUPER-FINE sand hills right along the Colorado River near Needles! I got stuck there one time when we went fishing and had to sleep overnight, then take out everything and walk it up the hill to solid ground, then we laid out tons of pallet wood and ZOINK, we were up and freed! But not, of course, before losing almost every bit of fluids from our bodies(it was 110* by 9am and climbing!!! hahaha). SORRY for the tangent, haha. Just that, well, THAT WAS A NIGHTMARE, ....2-3' of talc like sand on a hill like you're on there! AHHHHHHH, lol.

Quick Reply: yotarob2005's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread