86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

yotarob2005's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 09:25 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by yotarob2005
Well I think it is my fault. I took the upper ball joint loose about 1-1/2 weeks ago & left the LCA hanging, I should have supportred it somehow. With the shock disconnected the LCA hung lower that I think I should have let it. My thoughts are that from extending down so far, the CV joint was able to pull out of the hub a little, just enough for the splines to get into a bind with the hub. They are not stock rims, they are Cragar soft 8's of unkown back spacing.
Well the CV may have separated and causing it to bind. When I installed a new on on 4runner it slipped out but I was able to just push it right back in and all is well. Leaving the LCA dangle should not have hurt anything, I don't think it will go far enough. Could be wrong though something is not quite right there.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:05 AM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Lumpy
Well the CV may have separated and causing it to bind. When I installed a new on on 4runner it slipped out but I was able to just push it right back in and all is well. Leaving the LCA dangle should not have hurt anything, I don't think it will go far enough. Could be wrong though something is not quite right there.
And we have a winner! Congradulations Lumpy! I went home and spent my lunch break working on it. The CV joint seperated on the diff side. I guess I should have tried to push it back in, instead.....I just yanked it out. Pics as soon as I finish my gas station burrito.

Last edited by yotarob2005; 06-17-2010 at 10:13 AM.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:07 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
What does he win, what does he win?????? Lol
Old 06-17-2010, 10:54 AM

Here are my pics.

Once I removed the hub cover plate, I realized why I couldn't get the hub off.

Once I got the hub off, I removed all of the brakes & wheel bearings.

Noticed alot of slop in the inner knuckle of the CV joint, so I gave it a little tug & this happened.

There you have it, binding was due to the seperated CV Joint.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:02 AM

EEEEEEEK, it's like a horror movie! .......Sorry man, ...well, at least you know where you're at, and seeing as you're at where you are, You'll be where you'll be sooner than you'd planned to be there, I JUST KNOW IT! lol....Wait, did I say all that? hahaha

Cool, now you have A PLAN! Nothin will stop ya, Brudda! 'WACK, BOOM, BAM, SPIN, TIGHTEN, ....DAHDAHHHHHHHH!" LOL. Thanks for the pics, btw, they're helping me to understand some of this stuff.

Mark
Old 06-17-2010, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
EEEEEEEK, it's like a horror movie! .......Sorry man, ...well, at least you know where you're at, and seeing as you're at where you are, You'll be where you'll be sooner than you'd planned to be there, I JUST KNOW IT! lol....Wait, did I say all that? hahaha

Cool, now you have A PLAN! Nothin will stop ya, Brudda! 'WACK, BOOM, BAM, SPIN, TIGHTEN, ....DAHDAHHHHHHHH!" LOL. Thanks for the pics, btw, they're helping me to understand some of this stuff.

Mark
Yeah, I am on the right track now, LOL. I am not too worried about the CV joint because I already have some new extras. Looks like Napa does NOT have all of my parts in stock so I guess I will go ahead & take the other side apart tonight.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:54 PM

Just called Napa & asked them to have one of their lovely girls to bring me some new brake rotors, pads & inner bearing seals. They didn't have any pads in stock so it will be tomorrow. BTW they wanted $21 each for the seals....dang man that sounds high to me. I called O'reily's and they have 2 options, 1 for $18 each & the other for $3.29 each. Doesn't make sense to me, but I think that the $3.29 seals will be fine for me.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:29 AM

Good deal man!!! I'm sorry I forgot to tell ya about that lil bolt under the hup center. I had fought with that on my ADD and should have remembered about it. My bad.

I think you'll be alright with the el-cheepo seals...
Old 06-18-2010, 05:44 AM

Good deal man!!! I'm sorry I forgot to tell ya about that lil bolt under the hup center. I had fought with that on my ADD and should have remembered about it. My bad.

I think you'll be alright with the el-cheepo seals...
LOL, no it's my bad for not checking. I felt pretty dumb once I removed the cover and saw that.

I got some work done last night, but left my camera at home this morning so no pics, I will go back & fill them in later. Any way the drivers side is all back together & waiting on the brake parts that I should be getting in the next couple of hours. New CV joint is installed, ball joint spacer is back in.....with out a fight this time, wheel bearings are clean & repacked with grease. I should be ready to go after work today.

It looks like I am going to need some longer shocks to get the full amount of travel out of my front suspension with these BJ spacers. Does anybody know what kind of shocks other people are using? I saw some Pro Comp's for $100 per set, but I have never been to impressed with how stiff their shocks are. Looking for somethig cheap though.

here is a good link discussing the shock issue
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...shocks-131493/

Last edited by yotarob2005; 06-18-2010 at 05:57 AM.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:11 AM

I will more than likelly order these shocks untill I can afford some better ones.

http://www.topguncustomz.com/Store/G...view=230008576
Old 06-18-2010, 06:20 AM

When I did my rear springs on my 4Runner I went to Advanced Auto and talked to a guy about what I was doing. So after a bit of searching we found some that worked. Just cheepo shocks that have 14" of travel I think I paid 22 each or something like that. I'm going to do the same when I get to the front and spacers. Just take one with you and say I need this but 3" more travel.

Get a pic of the delivery girl!!!
Old 06-18-2010, 06:27 AM

When I did my rear springs on my 4Runner I went to Advanced Auto and talked to a guy about what I was doing. So after a bit of searching we found some that worked. Just cheepo shocks that have 14" of travel I think I paid 22 each or something like that. I'm going to do the same when I get to the front and spacers. Just take one with you and say I need this but 3" more travel.

Get a pic of the delivery girl!!!
Good idea Lumpy, maybe they will have something that would work. I'll try it out, but if it is going to be any more than $30 each I think I would be better off just ordering the Pro-Comp's. The main benift of getting some from the parts store is I don't have to wait.

I would get a pic of the napa girl, but I left my camera at home today....sorry
Old 06-18-2010, 06:37 AM

I think WabFab wanted 75 for the Bilstein and I really didn't want to pay that much right now. so I think you can get a good price. Being that they are on the front and shorter I'm assuming that you can get them for a bit cheaper.

Gotta phone???? Parts girls are cool...so are girl parts.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:13 PM

I got all of my brake parts in & a little love for father's day.

I got a new Coleman extreme cooler....And look at what came with it

So I got to work on the brakes & the little rubber boots around the pistons in the calipers basically fell apart on me. I looked around for replacement caliper, but I am too cheap to buy good ones & too smart to buy cheap ones. So I found some caliper rebuild kits & decide to just rebuild them myself. I had never rebuilt one before but it was pretty easy & self explanitory.

Pistons & Seal removed.

Piston cleaned up & new internal seal installed.

All put back together!

I went ahead & installed both of the new CV joints. It was alittle more work than I wanted but at least they are both new

Of course I cleaned, inspected & repacked all of the wheel bearings, they appear to be in great shape so I reused them.

The passenger side is 100% done but I still need to put the brakes back on the passenger side & bleed them all. I should have no problem wrapping this up tonight.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:31 PM

"Skreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeech"....that's my "Rob's new Brakes" sound effects! hahha. Sweet, Rob, lookin good. Forgive my ignorance, but why are your axles so flexed? Is it the BJ spacer? .....Plus something else? lol. Just wondering stuff, lol.

Best wishes and glad you had a Happy Fathers Day!

Mark
Old 06-22-2010, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
"Skreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeech"....that's my "Rob's new Brakes" sound effects! hahha. Sweet, Rob, lookin good. Forgive my ignorance, but why are your axles so flexed? Is it the BJ spacer? .....Plus something else? lol. Just wondering stuff, lol.

Best wishes and glad you had a Happy Fathers Day!

Mark
Thanks Mark, the axle is at a high angle because I have the jackstands under the frame so the suspension is at full droop.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:59 AM

Both sides are completly done, I still need to bleed the brakes but that will have to wait untill tonight.

I did have a little help.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:11 AM

I picked up a 40 cal ammo can from the Army surplus store to use as a center console. I have more plans to jazz this up a bit, but that project is for another day, I am going to use it as is at least untill after this weekend wheeling trip.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:10 AM

UPS just dropped off my wheel spacers. I hope I can put thie front tires back on the ground now. They are on loan from a freind, came off of a second gen tacoma. I know the lug patteren is the same but I hope they fit.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:41 AM

Nice Console!!!! Can you lock that?

I'll be hoping for a good fit on the wheel spacers! It's comin' together, Brother!

Mark

Quick Reply: yotarob2005's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread