Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Hmmmmmmmm,

"8. Adjust valves.
9. Change motor oil.
10. Finish gauge install.
11. Make new bikini top parts.
12. New CB antenna mount & re-tune.
13. Change oil in front diff."

....I think 8, 9 and 13 could be important, no? hahaha. Jk, I bet those last are recently done and you're thinking, "Yeah,.....no need to be anal about it, ....how about first things first", ....right? lol.

BTW, that thing was Blueberry Blue, right? I noticed a pic with that flat blue peeking through, hahaha. Moze sports that, ...love that color too. Can't wait to see your pics from the trip, Brudda! Sure wish I had time and money to hit that trip with 92 and Xxxtreme! Oh yeah, they've deputized Swimmerboy as well! lol.

Talk to you soon, I'm trying to GET OUT THERE from the kitchen...gotta list from Flecker to double check, ....must complete mission, .....having wrench withdraws! hahaha
They are all important my freind, just some are more important than others.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:27 PM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
And yes, it used to be dark blue before the PO decided to rattle can paint it green.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:45 AM

I got the drivers side Ball Joint spacer in last night, It was more of a pain than I though, but I got it eventually. On to the passenger side tonight. I really expected to get them both done, but I guess I underestimated the job a little.

Old 06-16-2010, 06:12 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
nice!!!!
Old 06-16-2010, 07:33 AM

Thanks Lumpy, I will try to take my time & get more pics tonight when I do the other side, I was in a pissy mood last night when I did this one. That is probably why I had such a hard time with it in the first place.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:35 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Yeeeehawwwww! half way to higher heights! lol. Me likey

Good job, Brudda, ....can't wait to see more pics, ....and ......don't be pissy, it makes for spun off bolt holes and bent items of importance! hahaha. Jk, I know what you mean.... was there, yesterday, until I walked back to workin from ...well, workin on the rig, hahaha.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:36 AM

Thanks Chef, I am going to try to be in a better mod today & hope to get more done. Here is a better pic, not so close up.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:43 AM

Oooooh,....shiny things installed! lol. Nice :thumbs up:

So I don't have to go back and read(no time), what exactly are you going for? Bit of a lift in the front and rear?
Old 06-16-2010, 10:46 AM

Sorry, I already commented, "Ooooh, Lift, ...sexy", hahahaa. Just remembered! Can't wait to see how you like it....I'ma copy cat! hahaha. Jk, ....you know what I'm looking to go for. I'm hoping to pin down this idle thing in the next couple days. Then the O2 code. I'll be updating as I go. Thanks for the compliments and good looking out, Rob!

Want PICS OF THAT TRIP, ok? lol.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:56 AM

Oooooh,....shiny things installed! lol. Nice :thumbs up:

So I don't have to go back and read(no time), what exactly are you going for? Bit of a lift in the front and rear?
Bingo, the objective with the BJ spacers is about 2" of lift & 2" more suspension travel. Also these come with the OME suspension kit, so it's almost like I can get it one piece at a time. I decided to go with them for 2 reasons
#1. You can get some lift with out cranking up your torsion bars, leaving your torsion bars relaxed will help you flex the suspension to the best of it's ability.
#2. I am on a paper thin budget & these did not cost me a single penny!

I am also going to install the shackles I made for the rear to keep it level, they also didn't cost me much. $18 worth of new leaf spring bushings is all.

Last edited by yotarob2005; 06-16-2010 at 11:06 AM.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:25 AM

You're going with OME? Cool, yeah, I kinda feel like I'm leaning that way as well. They have really nice torsion bar upgrades in their kit, .....and I'm no 'METAL FAB' guy, so I would just get theirs, lol. Their kit also comes with Steering Stablizer and shocks, spring pack in the rear and brake propor. valve adapter. 900$ Should get me up around 2.5" from what I've read.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:37 AM

I am sorta going with the OME, LOL. At least following there game plan anyways. I already have a decnet amount of rear lift with my Add A Leaf & the shackles, so I really just need some torsion bars & a steering stabilizer. I have not made up my mind about which torsion bars I want, the OME's or Sway away's. Either way at that point I will call the suspension done for awhile untill I can save up enough coin for the Blazeland LT kit. If you haven't seen the Blazeland then you should check it out. That is what I REALLY want!!!!
Old 06-16-2010, 12:01 PM

Wow, those look pretty serious. You mean, you want the A-arms, ...or the whole shebang with the powered shocks, etc.? lol. Yeah, that's a lil much for me, regarding the BIG lift, etc., I just wanna get it up 2.5" and have a basically stock but lil higher and beefed up/refreshed suspension. I don't wanna compromise too much comfort as MANY of my 100's of thousands of miles are Highway, touring Cali and AZ. That's why I stick with A/T's ...they function well but also LAST SO LONGGGG, lol.

Got a few minutes so I'm gonna try and test a couple things out there.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:41 PM

Wow, those look pretty serious. You mean, you want the A-arms, ...or the whole shebang with the powered shocks, etc.? lol. Yeah, that's a lil much for me, regarding the BIG lift, etc., I just wanna get it up 2.5" and have a basically stock but lil higher and beefed up/refreshed suspension. I don't wanna compromise too much comfort as MANY of my 100's of thousands of miles are Highway, touring Cali and AZ. That's why I stick with A/T's ...they function well but also LAST SO LONGGGG, lol.

Got a few minutes so I'm gonna try and test a couple things out there.
The whole shebang, it runs about $1500. That is why I am waiting, LOL.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:31 AM

Ran into some problems last night. It started off going great, I got the other Ball Joint spacer in with very little effort, no cussing, no tools being thrown around in the garage. I put the tires back on & set it on the ground. The passenger side (second side I did) flexes nice when I put my weight on it, but the drivers side would not budge, not even a half inch, It is in some sort of a bind. It makes sense being as I had to fight with that side to get the BJ spacer in. I jacked it back up & took the BJ spacer back out. I beleive the binding is between the manual locking hub & the CV joint. With the hub on free I should be able to turn the wheel seperate from the CV joint, but I can't. I started trying to pull the hub but it won't come off! I pryed on it for awhile, but didn't want to force it to the point of damage. So now I am somewhat lost, not sure what to do next. If anybody has any ideas as to how I can get the hub off please let me know.

This is about how far I can get the hub to go. It should just come off right?

The other issues I have are with the BJ spacers, now my UCA is rubbing the tire. Got some wheel spacers from a buddy on the way to cure that

And my shocks are too short, they are going to be the limiting factor in my flex now, at full droop, they are about 1" too short. Looking for some shocks that will work now.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:29 AM

To me, ....that's bizarre, ...the hub not coming off. I'm sure someone will tell you EXACTLY what's going wrong.... Personally, I would talk to Wabbit, or someone like that, ...start sending some PM's, eh? lol.

Sorry to hear, Rob! The wheel rub should be expected(as you travel up away from the inset of the wheel, right?) Shocks, too, yeah? I saw a guy do a stack of Washers, snug, to bring it up until he could get the new shocks. (Sorry if that's BAD, lol..just throwing it out there, guys, lol).

Can't remember how I freed up one of my tougher hubs....DANG! Someone will chime in, Rob, don't worry. Guys a lot more apt at this stuff than I, lol. Just wanted to offer moral support, .....I KNOW IT SUCKS BEING STUCK!

Mark
Old 06-17-2010, 08:42 AM

To me, ....that's bizarre, ...the hub not coming off. I'm sure someone will tell you EXACTLY what's going wrong.... Personally, I would talk to Wabbit, or someone like that, ...start sending some PM's, eh? lol.

Sorry to hear, Rob! The wheel rub should be expected(as you travel up away from the inset of the wheel, right?) Shocks, too, yeah? I saw a guy do a stack of Washers, snug, to bring it up until he could get the new shocks. (Sorry if that's BAD, lol..just throwing it out there, guys, lol).

Can't remember how I freed up one of my tougher hubs....DANG! Someone will chime in, Rob, don't worry. Guys a lot more apt at this stuff than I, lol. Just wanted to offer moral support, .....I KNOW IT SUCKS BEING STUCK!

Mark
I found a great write-up on 4crawler's site. I guess I am just going to pull the front cover off of the hub & try to get it that way. No big deal sometimes I just need a chance to sit down, read a little bit & relax. Like I said I have a buddy supposed to ship me out some wheel spacers today so that will cure the rubbing problem. I didn't expect that but I guess I should have. It is probablly due to the backspacing on my wheels. Also I have been checking around & I might just have a free solution for my shocks. I think that I can use the factory rear Billies that came off of my Tacoma when I upgraded to 5100's, I guess we will see.

At this point I have decided to order a hub rebuild kit, get some new brake rotors & pads and replace my front CV joints. Might as well replace everything that needs it while I am in there.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:42 AM

I would have never considered the UCA's being an issue...I'm going to have to look at mine so I have all I need when i get around to it...Are those stock rims, sorry I don't recall?
Old 06-17-2010, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by yotarob2005
At this point I have decided to order a hub rebuild kit, get some new brake rotors & pads and replace my front CV joints. Might as well replace everything that needs it while I am in there.
If your boots are good you really shouldn't have to worry. If you do change the CV's keep the old for spares.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Lumpy
I would have never considered the UCA's being an issue...I'm going to have to look at mine so I have all I need when i get around to it...Are those stock rims, sorry I don't recall?
Well I think it is my fault. I took the upper ball joint loose about 1-1/2 weeks ago & left the LCA hanging, I should have supportred it somehow. With the shock disconnected the LCA hung lower that I think I should have let it. My thoughts are that from extending down so far, the CV joint was able to pull out of the hub a little, just enough for the splines to get into a bind with the hub. They are not stock rims, they are Cragar soft 8's of unkown back spacing.

Originally Posted by Lumpy
If your boots are good you really shouldn't have to worry. If you do change the CV's keep the old for spares.
I know my CV joints are fine, but I bought some new ones that I found on Craigslist for a deal that I could not pass up. They are brand new, not remaned & have never been installed & I got both of them for $60. I want to go ahead & replace them while I am there & keep my old ones for trail spares.

Quick Reply: yotarob2005's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread