86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

yotarob2005's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 11:11 AM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
"WAIT, WHAT IS THIS HABERDASHERY??????".... hahaha. Sorry, that's my 'movie trivia' for the day, lol.

WOW, thanks so much for wishing me well on my new thread, bro! I'm stopping by to DO THE SAME, HERE! Locker? Fine thread bolts and nuts for the shackles? OK, NOW YOU KNOW you're gonna have to hook me up with the ''whole shebang" set of ideas here, right? lol. Gonna have to read back and see what I missed......thought I'd been following you well. lol. Wait, ......is this just you starting up again after AGES taken off? lol. Maybe I didn't really miss anything, but could you tell me what you're doing to her??....Just, well, PLEASE? LOL

LOL, yes Mark, I have been quite busy, you won't have to read back very far, nothing started happening untill last week. I did take a considerable break from working on my 4runner, but I am back at it now, in full stride. Good luck in your new thread, it seems you are getting more attention with ti.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:25 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by yotarob2005
LOL, yes Mark, I have been quite busy, you won't have to read back very far, nothing started happening untill last week. I did take a considerable break from working on my 4runner, but I am back at it now, in full stride. Good luck in your new thread, it seems you are getting more attention with ti.
YES, it seems I am. Plus, Flecker is working in Carson, CA, just 20 min from me, so he offered to stop by when he can! WOO HOOO! So, I will read up and see what you did, but curious, is putting in that locker difficult? And what are they talking about with "moving the bracket"? lol....Sorry, I'll read back when I have time.

HAPPY FOR YA, ROB!
Old 06-07-2010, 12:05 PM

YES, it seems I am. Plus, Flecker is working in Carson, CA, just 20 min from me, so he offered to stop by when he can! WOO HOOO! So, I will read up and see what you did, but curious, is putting in that locker difficult? And what are they talking about with "moving the bracket"? lol....Sorry, I'll read back when I have time.

HAPPY FOR YA, ROB!
Thanks Chef. The locker is not going to be too hard to install. I have never done a spartan, but I have done a lock-rite in a buddies truck & all "lunchbox" lockers are basically the same. It can be done with regular hand tools in 2 hours or so, you just have to pull the third member & replace the spider gears with the locker parts. I am pretty excited about the locker though. Can't wait for my groups next wheeling trip scheduled for 6/26.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:16 PM

Link to DIY alignment!

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...er_HowTo.shtml
Old 06-07-2010, 01:32 PM

Thanks Chef. The locker is not going to be too hard to install. I have never done a spartan, but I have done a lock-rite in a buddies truck & all "lunchbox" lockers are basically the same. It can be done with regular hand tools in 2 hours or so, you just have to pull the third member & replace the spider gears with the locker parts. I am pretty excited about the locker though. Can't wait for my groups next wheeling trip scheduled for 6/26.
Thanks, Rob,

I'm keeping an eye. I want to 'strengthen mine up',. but not go all crazy on it, ya know? I'd like to get mine up a lil, too, and pretty sure I'm going with OMEmu, but after I'm done with this thing in the running good dept.....I MIGHT HAVE TO THINK RED NECK MODS! lol, Jk. Actually, I'm still thinking about the WabFab kit, but I just really want to refresh with new springs and all that. If I was going to just get her up, I'd probably go with the ZUk's, the guy has a great rep! I"m just trying to do this as factory as possible but still get her up 2.5" or so. OME has the BJ spacers, torsion bars, steering stablzr, Shocks, rear leafs pack and some other stuff I can't remember for 900, lol....so we'll see.

GREAT TO SEE YOU BACK ON THE CREAM PUFF! woohoo! LOL
Old 06-07-2010, 02:25 PM

Thanks, Rob,

I'm keeping an eye. I want to 'strengthen mine up',. but not go all crazy on it, ya know? I'd like to get mine up a lil, too, and pretty sure I'm going with OMEmu, but after I'm done with this thing in the running good dept.....I MIGHT HAVE TO THINK RED NECK MODS! lol, Jk. Actually, I'm still thinking about the WabFab kit, but I just really want to refresh with new springs and all that. If I was going to just get her up, I'd probably go with the ZUk's, the guy has a great rep! I"m just trying to do this as factory as possible but still get her up 2.5" or so. OME has the BJ spacers, torsion bars, steering stablzr, Shocks, rear leafs pack and some other stuff I can't remember for 900, lol....so we'll see.

GREAT TO SEE YOU BACK ON THE CREAM PUFF! woohoo! LOL
I hear you Chef, Really like that OMEmu kit, If I had the money to spare I would buy that instead of doing all of this myself. I am just thinking that I can start with the shackles & BJ spacers for now, then add the torsion bars & stuff later, 1 piece at a time ya know. I'm on a pretty tight budget here. I agree that the Zuk mod is pretty cool, but in the long run the replacement leaf springs with the OME kit will give you better flex off-road. I learned on my last wheeling trip that if your suspension can't flex enough to keep your tires on the ground, then that is 1 less tire you have pushing you forward! Also, we have 2 totally different goals for our trucks, I am more worried about off road performance than anything else, yours is a daily driver so I don't think that suspension flex is too big of a concern.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:38 PM

I hear you Chef, Really like that OMEmu kit, If I had the money to spare I would buy that instead of doing all of this myself. I am just thinking that I can start with the shackles & BJ spacers for now, then add the torsion bars & stuff later, 1 piece at a time ya know. I'm on a pretty tight budget here. I agree that the Zuk mod is pretty cool, but in the long run the replacement leaf springs with the OME kit will give you better flex off-road. I learned on my last wheeling trip that if your suspension can't flex enough to keep your tires on the ground, then that is 1 less tire you have pushing you forward! Also, we have 2 totally different goals for our trucks, I am more worried about off road performance than anything else, yours is a daily driver so I don't think that suspension flex is too big of a concern.
Yeah, ....well, actually, I've driven all 4 of my 22re 4x4's off road QUITE MASSIVE AMOUNTS, lol...and I think, when done right, they can handle both, with some compromise. For instance, unless I can afford MT's, I'll stick with the BFG A/T's, and they've gotten me out of some pretty sticky sitch's. Also, flex should be ok for me, if I go with that kit. It's pretty strong with the HD springs in the rear and longer shocks, plus the IFS kit part of it is pretty heavy duty as well, without making it like a HardSusp. Mack Truck, lol. I guess what I mean is, "I can do pretty well off road with that kit, just nothing crazy, ....but still, more so than stock re-do kit.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:48 PM

Yeah, ....well, actually, I've driven all 4 of my 22re 4x4's off road QUITE MASSIVE AMOUNTS, lol...and I think, when done right, they can handle both, with some compromise. For instance, unless I can afford MT's, I'll stick with the BFG A/T's, and they've gotten me out of some pretty sticky sitch's. Also, flex should be ok for me, if I go with that kit. It's pretty strong with the HD springs in the rear and longer shocks, plus the IFS kit part of it is pretty heavy duty as well, without making it like a HardSusp. Mack Truck, lol. I guess what I mean is, "I can do pretty well off road with that kit, just nothing crazy, ....but still, more so than stock re-do kit.
I agree that you can do both, If I ever get far enough, I would love to drive mine around town some too. As of now she is a trailer queen, LOL. The OME kit would be great for a multi purpose rig! I have had several sets of BFG at's, they have gotten me more places off road than I should have even tried, LOL.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:57 AM

Found this link regaurding auto trans issues. Saving it for later use.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=587521
Old 06-08-2010, 09:15 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Best thing to do is get rid of the auto...Me no likey...
Old 06-08-2010, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Lumpy
Best thing to do is get rid of the auto...Me no likey...
Not a chance! I really wanted the auto trans. You can call me crazy, but the purpose of this build is an off-road warrior & if you have ever had to stop half way up a hill or over an obstical, you will appriciate the auto. Also there are so many variables when out wheeling to pay attention to, what gear I am in is just one less think I have to think about.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:12 AM

Well to each his own I guess. My truck is a 5spd and the 4Runner is an Auto; I now have a parts truck to do a 5spd swap on the 4Runner. I prefer the 5spd over the auto. I won't tease you...
Old 06-08-2010, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Lumpy
I prefer the 5spd over the auto. I won't tease you...
Thanks for not teasing, LOL. Now if it was a sports car then that would be different!

Last edited by yotarob2005; 06-08-2010 at 10:40 AM.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:42 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
i love my AUTOMATIC....drinking cofee while having a smoke while talking on the cell-phone while changing the station would be tuff with a stick.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by 92 TOY
i love my AUTOMATIC....drinking cofee while having a smoke while talking on the cell-phone while changing the station would be tuff with a stick.
See Lumpy, at least somebody agrees with me!

Thanks 92!
Old 06-08-2010, 11:00 AM

Hmmmm, I always had trouble with the Auto 4Runner I had....underpowered and gave me trouble in granny coming down stuff....but THAT TRANNY WAS HALF/TOAST, no jelly, so that might explain a lot! lol

I'm really happy for ya getting this thing tricked out, Rob! I'm getting bumbed out, man! lol. Just that mine wont even stay running now....WHERE IS THAT UPS...low truck?????? HEHEHE. Have fun wheelin, brotha, lookin good!!
Old 06-08-2010, 11:00 AM

and last week XXXTREME22R showed me the pitfall of having a stick, in 4LOW in 1st gear and shifting to 2nd gear, knocking it out of 4 LOW....not cool.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:01 AM

See Lumpy, at least somebody agrees with me!

Thanks 92!
What does he know anyway??? Well, I don't have a radio, I quit smoking, have a blue tooth headset, and have a coffee cup that won't fall off the hump on the floor. So I guess I'm ok with shifting.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by 92 TOY
and last week XXXTREME22R showed me the pitfall of having a stick, in 4LOW in 1st gear and shifting to 2nd gear, knocking it out of 4 LOW....not cool.
Never had that happen...Good to know to keep an eye out. Maybe he should be aware of which shifter he's using.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:04 AM

no.....the shifter knocked the 4wd lever out of 4LOW when going from 1st to 2nd...they compete for the same air-space.

Quick Reply: yotarob2005's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread