86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

yotarob2005's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 11:06 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Lumpy,

Please pardon my ignorance...hehehe.....too cold? You mean, to do the work involved?
Old 06-04-2010, 11:09 AM

Ok, shhhhhhhhh, lol

Lumpy......LOVE THE VIOLIN, btw! DANG, I should be using that in so many of my posts, lately! lol. I don't mean to sound like a whiner, lol, just frustrated. Thanks, btw, Rob, for the encouragement! Not sure if you read up over there, but I'm trying to further pry Roger for as many nuggets as possible., lol.

Watching here, anxiously!

Mark
Old 06-04-2010, 11:13 AM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Ok, shhhhhhhhh, lol

Lumpy......LOVE THE VIOLIN, btw! DANG, I should be using that in so many of my posts, lately! lol. I don't mean to sound like a whiner, lol, just frustrated. Thanks, btw, Rob, for the encouragement! Not sure if you read up over there, but I'm trying to further pry Roger for as many nuggets as possible., lol.

Watching here, anxiously!

Mark
I am definatlly keeping an eye on every post in your thread, just waiting for a great idea to jump out at me. I sure hope that Rodger can figure out your problem, I love his site & he knows much better than I.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:34 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Lumpy,

Please pardon my ignorance...hehehe.....too cold? You mean, to do the work involved?
Yepper...too cold as in Fall/Winter...most of my $$$ is going into the house right now. So the mods on the 4Runner and Truck are sorta on hold.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:47 PM

can anybody (Chef) tell me how many leaves in your rear springs? Mine does not sag at all & I am thinking that it has an Add A Leaf in it. The rear actually sits higher than the front which is pretty unheard of.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:51 PM

Hell...i think I have 3...4??? I know I have 1 broken on the drivers side. lemme look...
Old 06-04-2010, 12:55 PM

4...the one that's broke is the one that I was told always breaks...it's just above the overload spring.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Lumpy
4...the one that's broke is the one that I was told always breaks...it's just above the overload spring.
Thanks Lumpy, I counted mine last night but already forgot how many. I will check again when I get home.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:24 AM

I picked up a complete set of seats out of a 91 4runner last night. They are tan & the drivers seat is pretty bad off cosmetically, but the cushioning is in tackt so it's nothing some cheap covers can't fix. They all need to be cleaned up & I have to do some mounting bracket moddifications but the price was definatlly right. I was also able to pick up a new shifter assembly for $20, there are only a few minor differences but I think I can make it work. Will get some pics up sooner or later
Old 06-05-2010, 08:27 AM

PICS, PICS, PICS! Ok, heading over to read what you wrote on my thread! lol....

Good to see you on the Old Man Again! hehe. How much modding for the seats?
Old 06-05-2010, 10:59 AM

PICS, PICS, PICS! Ok, heading over to read what you wrote on my thread! lol....

Good to see you on the Old Man Again! hehe. How much modding for the seats?
Not as much modding to get the seats to work as I though actually. Looks like where the rear seats backs bolt in I need to open up the bolt holes about 3/8" each way. I am using the brackets that came with the 91 seats since I don't have the original 86 brackets anymore. I have been on the hunt for these seats for awhile because the 90-95 seats are much more comfy, I just wish they where in better shape. Like I siad nothing some seat covers can't cover up, at least the padding is good. My original seats where all ditched by the PO long ago, I had some vynil buckets out of a passenger van in the front & no rear seat ever since I bought the truck. I will take some pics keep you guys posted. I'm back at work now off the clock making some parts for my lift & modding the seat brackets.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:13 AM

I got a set of rear spring shackles made on Staurday to lift the rear & match the front BJ spacers. I think they came out great, they are made on 1/4" x 1-3/4" wide 17-4 stainless steel plate & the center bar is 1-5/16" stainless tubing. Welds look great. I don't know if the pics do the justice, but these things are very stout. Wainting on some 14mm fine thread bolts & locknuts I ordered to show up today so I can install them. Still waiting on an open machine to cut the BJ spacers.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:28 AM

Lookin good man!!!
Old 06-07-2010, 05:31 AM

I got my swap tp the 91 model seats done this weekend. It was a little more retro fitting than I thought it would be, but still went off with out a hitch.The rear seat backs I just opened up the holes in the brackets to make the bolt up to the truck, but I had to drill all new holes for the seat bottoms. The drivers seat lined up on 2 holes & the passenger on only 1. All other bolt holes had to be drilled. I really need to clean them & get a set of covers for the front but these seats are MUCH more comfy than the ones I had.

These are the rear seat back brackets I modified.

Rear seats in.

I still need to make a drop bracket to relocate the catch for the rear seat backs, I will work on that soon.

You can see that the drivers seat is pretty torn up, I am just going to clean it & put some cheap seat covers on the fronts.

All in all I am pleased with the seat swap. For what I got the price was definatlly right. I got all of the seat belts back in also. This didn't cost me a dime!
Old 06-07-2010, 05:46 AM

Finally for the weekend, I tried to finish up my CB. It was already mounted & wired up, I just needed to finish the mount for my firestick & run the coax. The antenna mount turned out to be a FAIL! It just isn't strong enough. I am working on version 2.0 now. I think the idea was good but the excution was poor. I did get it all hooked up & tuned though. It was kinda fun listening to the truckers while I was putting my tools away.

Old pic of the CB mount.

You can see that I notched my tail l ight just a bit to get the coax out of the cab. The cut is not deep enough to allow water to get into the tail light lense.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:11 AM

I like how you have that bracket...Now I have a better idea for mine! I think the 2nd gen will be just the same to mount as yours. Now I just have to mount it.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:19 AM

I have 5 leaves, and since I looked a little closer, it is pretty obvious that I do have an AAL.

Lookin good man!!!
Thank you sir, very happy with the shackles.

I like how you have that bracket...Now I have a better idea for mine! I think the 2nd gen will be just the same to mount as yours. Now I just have to mount it.
I stole the idea to mount it that way from a second gen. It will work & look great, but make it out of steel & not aluminium, or you will be making it twice like me.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:06 AM

Hmmmm....what is this that the UPS guy just dropped off?? Lunch box locker time for me

Old 06-07-2010, 10:10 AM

And now Fed-Ex just droppped off the 14mm fine thread bolts & lock nuts I ordered to install the rear spring shackles.

I am on a roll here guys. In the next few days I should get the Rob-fabbed 2" lift, the locker & maybe even some new brake rotors & pads installed.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:00 AM

"WAIT, WHAT IS THIS HABERDASHERY??????".... hahaha. Sorry, that's my 'movie trivia' for the day, lol.

WOW, thanks so much for wishing me well on my new thread, bro! I'm stopping by to DO THE SAME, HERE! Locker? Fine thread bolts and nuts for the shackles? OK, NOW YOU KNOW you're gonna have to hook me up with the ''whole shebang" set of ideas here, right? lol. Gonna have to read back and see what I missed......thought I'd been following you well. lol. Wait, ......is this just you starting up again after AGES taken off? lol. Maybe I didn't really miss anything, but could you tell me what you're doing to her??....Just, well, PLEASE? LOL

Quick Reply: yotarob2005's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread