xxxtreme22r's 1987 Pickup Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 03:38 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
I think 1:24 to 1:50 with the sound off was the best part.......hehehehhehe
Old 04-08-2011, 04:05 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
that was 1:34-1:50. hhaha, and I wanted to check it without the engine running as well. I wonder if that clicking type noise is my fan blades hitting on something.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:13 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Looking good!!
Old 04-09-2011, 08:33 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Looks great, Brandon! Glad it's all coming along, man.

Hmmmm, that clicking could be the fan blade... did you figure it out. Just wanted to point out.... seems like your 'clicking' is suppressed some when you are putting the steering to work, ...but when you let off, it stays constant.... am I just hearing things or am I right?

Congratz on all the work going without any major hitch, Brandon...and it looks great, ......the truck that is
Old 04-09-2011, 10:07 AM

Yeah well, so much for the no hitch part. Dang it chef you posted this right before I started. You Jinx'd me.

Ever since I put the power steering in, my steering wheel was off a little. SO today even after putting the pitman arm on and thinking the wheel was back to straight, it wasn't. So went out today to try to take care of it. Atfter taking that pitman off so many dang times and the fact the threads weren't the greatest on it to begin with, well the threads are now completely fubarred on the gear box. Gotta go tomorrow to the yard to find another one. Hopefully one from an 86-88 since I don't feel like wrestling around with trying to get another 89-95 one in like I did with the current one on.

I still do have that manual gear box laying around, but would rather not put that thing back in with the 33's on there now.

Have not gotten the chance to check out that clicking.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 04-09-2011 at 10:24 AM.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:51 AM

Picked up a steering box from a 94/95 (I forget) 4x4 pickup from the yard for $30. Plus $10 in gas.

Decided it was too greasy to go on. So using some purple power and a garden hose this was the result.

And then a wire wheel on my drill ready for paint.

About a can of primer and a can of flat black paint later.

Hopefully it doesn't leak.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:21 PM

wow. how did you find that?

have fun with that. how's it sitting these days. still much rake??....hows the ride?

working tomorrow....check ya tomorrow night
Old 04-10-2011, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by 92 TOY
wow. how did you find that?

have fun with that. how's it sitting these days. still much rake??....hows the ride?

working tomorrow....check ya tomorrow night
It's till raked. Rides still pretty good.

As far as the gear box goes, you haven't taken a good look at the 4runner in your garage since you've been back have you?
Old 04-11-2011, 01:51 AM

hahaha
Old 04-11-2011, 06:04 AM

Sooooooo, This is where I am at as of right now with this thing. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116.../#post51699254

Once I get this all cleared up I gotta troubleshoot a pulling left deal. It's been there for a while now, probably just an alignment issue, but since there could be a centering issue with the box, I am thinking that the box if not centered could cause a slight pull that I am feeling. I cannot recall if the pull was there before the original power steering swap or not, but it was there before the rear spring change.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:19 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
a pulling issue would be an out of allignment thing not totally an off center thing from the steering box. If the steering box is off it would drive straight but the steering wheel would be turned one way or the other from center. Then again it might be a combination of the two. If you let go of the wheel while driving and the truck wants to go every where but straight i would venture to guess the rest of the steering is out of whack. I would align the truck and get it to drive straight before i go pulling the pitman arm again.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:21 AM

Yeah wabbit replied in that other thread and basically said it wouldn't pull if the box wasn't centered but I would be able to go to full lock on one side if I understood him right.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:40 AM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r

FA5040 Autozone/Duarlast Idler arm and Duralast Pitman installed.

Old "rod end" of the idler. Notice how much it's ovaled out. The was a little play also in the bushings but not much.

Comparison between FA5040 and what I believe to be the original Idler arm.

And both installed. FYI it's easier to put the pitman on before installing the idler as there is more movement on the relay rod. Maybe the ones without the Procomp steering stabilizer would be easier, I don't know.

I should have take a video to see if the relay rod was moving with steering movement when on the ground to be sure. But no movement now when on the ground. It's raining or I would check with tires off the ground like when they inspected it. Don't mind the stabilizer shock boot or the oily mess under there. lol.
The new parts are making the rest of the frame and suspension look dirty and rusty, You need to get on cleaning and polishing that mess
Old 04-11-2011, 07:00 AM

I'm gonna need a 10,000 psi pressure washer to get some of that mud off. lol.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:39 AM

has anyone ever tried to take the of the steering u-joint off the gear box before? Holy ba jezz that thing is a PITA. I think I got the steering wheel straight now though. Needless to say the splines on that thing got hit is more than it's share of anti-seize.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:45 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I just did the same thing to my truck but i couldn't manage to get the pitman arm off.
How'd you go about getting yours off? pulley puller?
Old 04-15-2011, 11:52 AM

puller, but....... this didn't work for the original one:

I had to use this for the first pull. Thank god for rent-a-tools from autozone.

I got lucky at the junk yard being able to pull the 95's without the heavy duty puller. I got it as tight as I could with a ratchet and whacked the top of the pitman arm with a hammer a few times.

And when you put that thing back on, USE A LOT OF ANTI-SIEZE. And make sure the lines are lined up.

BTW, if you get your own regular puller make sure it's got an end on it to accept a ratchet not just an open ended wrench like the Autozone one.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 04-15-2011 at 11:53 AM.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:32 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Man, ....... what was I thinking rooting you on....now look what I've caused~! hahaha.

I know, ....actually, I HOPE you're messing, brudda! lol. Jk, .....

Anyway, ..... I've read and am really starting to think it's applicable to my sitch, ...."Ball Joints, especially lower BJ's, are very capable of pulling to the left or right when braking".... My lower left BJ is shot, and it's gotten worse over the last few months. I did all this steering stuff, remember? But mine didn't seem to steer VERYYYYYYYY slightly to the left while driving until doing so... and yet, I can't be sure it's not due to the very tired Bj's(especially the lower driver side one) I also can't seem to find perfectly level ground, ANYWHERE! lol... I'll test it more, but it's not unbearable, it's barely noticeable, so I think you're dealing with more of a "PULL", right? I never removed my pitman from the new Gbox, .... and was told not to by pretty much everyone.... And, it's been pulling to the left when I brake for a while now.... so I doubt it's the brake, more likely alignment needing a lil nudge,....which will wait till I redo my entire suspension as planned(all parts ready, waiting for the guy with the lift and tons of experience doing this stuff to find time to help me, lol).

Have you found anything new?
Old 04-15-2011, 06:44 PM

My pull isn't while braking it's while driving but it's very slight. Yes Jerry it was there before the springs.

It's most likely an alignment issue. But too dang afraid to mess with those adjusters as of right now. Not sure at this point what I want to do with the TRE's. I know the FJ's go right in but I would still need the FJ style adjusters as well. For now they seem tight so I don't wanna replace them as of yet.

And it's confirmed steering wheel is now straight.

Still got to get photos up of my fubared threads on the gear box.
Old 04-16-2011, 05:07 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Man, ....... what was I thinking rooting you on....now look what I've caused~! hahaha.

I know, ....actually, I HOPE you're messing, brudda! lol. Jk, .....

Anyway, ..... I've read and am really starting to think it's applicable to my sitch, ...."Ball Joints, especially lower BJ's, are very capable of pulling to the left or right when braking".... My lower left BJ is shot, and it's gotten worse over the last few months. I did all this steering stuff, remember? But mine didn't seem to steer VERYYYYYYYY slightly to the left while driving until doing so... and yet, I can't be sure it's not due to the very tired Bj's(especially the lower driver side one) I also can't seem to find perfectly level ground, ANYWHERE! lol... I'll test it more, but it's not unbearable, it's barely noticeable, so I think you're dealing with more of a "PULL", right? I never removed my pitman from the new Gbox, .... and was told not to by pretty much everyone.... And, it's been pulling to the left when I brake for a while now.... so I doubt it's the brake, more likely alignment needing a lil nudge,....which will wait till I redo my entire suspension as planned(all parts ready, waiting for the guy with the lift and tons of experience doing this stuff to find time to help me, lol).

Have you found anything new?
Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
My pull isn't while braking it's while driving but it's very slight. Yes Jerry it was there before the springs.

It's most likely an alignment issue. But too dang afraid to mess with those adjusters as of right now. Not sure at this point what I want to do with the TRE's. I know the FJ's go right in but I would still need the FJ style adjusters as well. For now they seem tight so I don't wanna replace them as of yet.

And it's confirmed steering wheel is now straight.

Still got to get photos up of my fubared threads on the gear box.
I know were all hoping its an alignment, But that may not be the cause...
Mine had a slight pull when i took it to get an alignment the other day and its still got that slight pull.
Ill be replacing ball joints when i replace my cv's and hub bearings.

Chef, mine does the same thing while braking...
Im not sure if one caliper is grabbing harder than the other, or if its the ball joints.

Cant hurt to replace them...

Quick Reply: xxxtreme22r's 1987 Pickup Build-Up Thread