86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

xxxtreme22r's 1987 Pickup Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 10:18 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
GAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWD, I hate that "Unprofessional CRAP!" ... I mean, it's ok, you wanna dance around to techno and act like a moron while you work in your shop...WHATEVER, HAVE AT IT, ...here's a pacifier, get crraaaaaaaaaazy! lol. But when it comes to BIZNESS!........YES< BE PROFESSIONAL, do what you say or explain why you can't and DON'T PROMISE THINGS and then pull the plug, ...claiming "oh no, I never said that"... GRRRRRRRRR! lol.

Not meaning even to LOL here, Brandon,...I know you're probably REALLY ticked! And I don't blame ya.

BTW, it's getting worse on the mandates, here in CA. My neighbor who's helping me with the AC? He got his Registration papers 2 days ago, for his 2009 F250 Diesel Work Truck, ......."Please come in for Smog Certification"..........WHATTTTTTTTT? See how these morons do it, Brandon? They strangle you more and more, then ask you, "why are you breathing so hard? It's good for you!" hahahaha.

Yep, CA is smogging diesels now, and if anyone thinks ''that's meaningless to me, I'm in OR, no smog check dude!" .....well, GOOD LUCK WITH THAT! I hope you're right for your sake, I really do. But MOST states follow the stupid laws/mandates passed by my state, all the time.

Dangit, I'm really sorry, Brandon, ...what's the back up plan, man?
Old 03-31-2011, 10:48 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Sounds good man!!! I like the guy across the street looking over at you like you were some sort of nut!!

Hell with that mechanic take it else where. That guys just an ass-hat!!!
Old 03-31-2011, 11:56 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
well two more places out. 1 place won't inspect it because the steering (pitman and/or idler) is sloppy and the frame is questionable above the bump stop on the one side. They didn't charge me the $16 though. The other well, since I got the weber on there and it disabled the EGR and PAIR he failed me, still charged me the $20 but said if I put the original carb and stuff back on he'd inspect it oh and adjust the e-brake. Said he was willing to somewhat over look that since it was somewhat grabbing in forward but wasn't holding well backwards.

Backup plan??? register the dang thing as a farm truck and make it a trailer queen, the hell with this bureaucratic tree huger crap. I'd be willing to bet this thing would pass a smog check without that stupid egr and pair system.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 03-31-2011 at 11:59 AM.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:58 AM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
put the stock carb back on it, drive it to the inspection station, get a sticker. Drive home and put the Weber back on.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:00 PM

that's the problem, I don't think I kept the old carb, air cleaner and egr pipe. EGR valve is still on there though. Didn't save that stuff as the ass clown of a guy who inspected it last year said he wasn't worried about that stuff as I could have always gone home and changed that stuff out. That guy doesn't know how much he has screwed me and how pissed off I am with his ass.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 03-31-2011 at 12:02 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:08 PM

Man that sucks!!!
Old 03-31-2011, 12:15 PM

Man, I wish I had all those extra parts you needed, ....they'd be in the mail TODAY! I'm really sorry B, this is BULL CRAPIJUWAIAH!
Old 03-31-2011, 12:18 PM

I hope advance auto has a record of that pitman arm I bought its a greasable moog that I believe is supposed to have a lifetime warranty.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:59 PM

Holy crap, you have to do the pitman now? yeah, that would be great if they do, and they should, Brandon... sometimes they've had to really work with the computer to find things for me, but they almost always find em. Hope it's warrantied for life, yah,....dang, this sux!

Following and wishing you well man!
Old 03-31-2011, 01:32 PM

yeah the moog pitman is lifetime warranty, but the place I am pretty sure I bought it from doesn't have a record of the phone number, but I have caught autozone etc etc not taking phone numbers on parts that have lifetime warranties and such and maybe this one slipped by me. But the guy did say check the local store here which has one in stock and explain to them my situation and if they match they should replace it for me. But the shop said that my idler could have taken that pitman out with it even if it was less then 2 years old. And I am sure it is, I replaced that when I switched over to power steering. Then he said it might have been the tires and I was like nope not that, they haven't been on the truck for more than 100 or so miles. lol.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:37 PM

Hmmm, yeah, the idler can throw a nasty jolt that way, right? Luckily, my idler just blew up, ...hahaha...but still, that didn't stop my Gear box from taking a dump! lol.

So, you gonna find out soon on whether one of them will take it for an exchange?
Old 03-31-2011, 01:49 PM

I won't know till I take it out an with 3-6" of snow coming well, once again, got to work on the truck and weather doesn't want to cooperate.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:00 PM

Hey, maybe put a HUGE tarp over it and leave a lil air to get out...and hook up a propane or space heater out there and KILL IT! lol.... Ok, I'm just thinkin 'crazy' outloud, but it sounds good, right? lol.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:42 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
Brandon....what's up? no good?? this really sucks then. did anyone say anything about the ride height or the wide tires? the rest of the stuff I was pretty sure you would be OK on because you didn't modify in the last 12 months as far as I knew....except that it got inspected by that butthead and not by him this time.

I would hate for ya to have to pull the truck off the road especially since my head still hurts from where I smashed it under your truck....seriously....I think I poked a hole in my brain on that one.

I know I'm down here in Florida goofing off but............**cough-cough** cadillac for sale **cough cough**.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
Magnaflow #53005 Cat installed, Very little leaks, nothing my leak goop in a tube can't fix. Gonna have to get another clamp though, for some reason thread stripped kinda early. But it's mostly sealed. Don't want to weld it on as to make the rest of the system a little easier to remove it need be. Cat is smaller than I thought it was gonna be, but for now it sounds good. Quite a bit quieter and very little drone now from the muffler inside the cab. And almost non existent popping when coming off throttle at a moderate RPM.

Video is for you Chef. Took a little bit of my tick etc etc as well not just the new sound of the exhaust.

Hey Brandon, the cat looks nice, do you have any pics of it from before it was installed? I might need to buy one of these, I got one from a 91 4runner that I was tring to put in last night but it seems too large for my truck. I don't like how close it is to my transmission. I like that yours looks to be pretty small.

Last edited by yotarob2005; 04-01-2011 at 04:19 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:44 AM

Rob sorry no before photos, but it was just the header to a straight pipe with just a coupling there so I can take the header out. This Cat is a heck of alot smaller then I was it was. I hope it enough for this carb'd motor. But according to the magnaflow site the dimensions on this match the universal they state only it has the 2.25" instead of the 2" The cat I would say isn't much bigger than my keyboard.

Jerry, I knew the steering was a little sloppy. It was the last two times I went to raush, and was crossing my figures it would hold up. I just never got around to it as it was only minimal play.

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
X2 bumping an old thread because I don't wanna be a re-poster. Got to do an entire steering rebuild after the winter, mine's almost toast, can't even get it aligned. So I am planning now.

So far the consensus is:

#1 the FA5040 Idler arm from Autozone. $36 LLT warranty.
#2 the Idler arm brace (IFS IDLER TRUSS N76810) from Northwest Off-Road. $ Need to call on price
#3 the Idler Arm Bushings (Pair) from SDORI $28.50
But I was originally told it was the tie rod ends with a little play. Didn't think it was that bad of shape especially when other than it pulling a little to the left (it was doing that before the springs BTW) it's golden.

No one had mentioned the height of the bed or the tire widths.

That hop feeling I had is now gone since I put that questionable "bent" wheel in the back instead of on the front. That vib in the drivetrain is still there though.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 04-01-2011 at 05:58 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:12 AM

I'm almost tempted to buy this just for the frame and part out the rest. haha. http://scranton.craigslist.org/pts/2297761946.html
Old 04-01-2011, 06:34 AM

I just did some checking on the Magnaflow site and it looks like I need the 53004 since I still have factory 2" exhaust. I would like to step up to the 2-1/4" but don't really want to spend the extra money replacing everything. I guess for now I will just focus on getting the thing back together and worry about the cat later.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:50 AM

Not bad but getting for $600.00 but getting $800.00 or so out of it might be tough...If you get him down to $400.00 might be worth it.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by yotarob2005
I just did some checking on the Magnaflow site and it looks like I need the 53004 since I still have factory 2" exhaust. I would like to step up to the 2-1/4" but don't really want to spend the extra money replacing everything. I guess for now I will just focus on getting the thing back together and worry about the cat later.
correct rob, that 53004 is the same one I got on mine only in the 2" verity. Seems to be the smallest of the cat sizes. I was more worried about mine hanging too low, but it's really not. With a 4" body thickness it's not much bigger than even the OEM 2" exhaust. So figure 1" lower in each direction up/down. Then the body is about a hand widths away from the frame rail as seen in that one photo. Now this is with a downey header, I cannot say for sure if the OEM manifold collector is in the same exact location.

Only issue which really wasn't an issue for me is where It's placed the outlet end is right above the cross member and is why the clamp is tilted as I couldn't get a ratchet in there. No big deal though. At least not till I decide to have the outlet end welded. Inlet end will remain just clamped as long as I doesn't leak.

I was also able to get the tail pipe up a little further then it was. Still kinda low for my liking, but much better.

I definitely feel an improvement in lower rpm in town (most likely due to added backpressure. But yet to have it above 3500 RPM on the highway or really thromp down on it.

On a side note, dropped the truck off at a place that supposedly inspects almost anything. the one place that had issues with the frame and steering said to go there, in addition to another family fried saying drop his cousin name on him and tell him he sent me down there. So we will see.

EDIT: just talked to him on the phone to clarify that it doesn't need the emissions sticker as it's not registered in this county, he said just so I know if there is anything wrong he doesn't let anything go by. Now he could be just saying that to protect himself, but......

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 04-01-2011 at 08:28 AM.

Quick Reply: xxxtreme22r's 1987 Pickup Build-Up Thread