86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

xxxtreme22r's 1987 Pickup Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 10:14 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Chef, my plan for the bed assuming I won't have to make a cutout to clear uptravel, is to use 2 2x4's on each side held in place with stake body brackets. Having a few boards when off-road is a good thing in case you need some help and don't want to stack rocks. So 2 birds one stone.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:26 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Excellent idea, ...hahaha.. I was picturing it as I read it. Cool, especially if it helps you pass.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great truck really like the thread also a friend of mine cranked his t bars all the way and gained about an inch and a three quarters higher but you will loose in over all ride quality andthe front didn't flex as well as it did stock but as long as you have good nerves and can don't mind one of the three wheeling it you can do it his was just a hunting rig so it didn't matter much to him
Old 03-24-2011, 12:59 PM

thx nvtoyota.

On a side note, I think my brakes are a little squishy from the lift. Will probably make up my own LSPV lift bracket. I know it's got to be that. I hadn't mentioned it so far, but was thinking about it the whole time. I just wanted to see if I might be able to get away with it. Apparently not with 3" of lift.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:13 PM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
You are very likely right about the LSPV. Seems easy enough to make a braket for where the arm attaches to the axle. Looking good XXX.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:19 PM

4crwaler has one, but I can't see paying that much for one, when it's simple to make. I am just gonna imitate his. I think I am gonna start off with 2.5" though and not the 3" because I am sure there was at least a half inch lift just due to the fact my original springs were flat. Earlier I had mentioned that I in fact gained 3" overall from the ground to the middle of the leaf hanger bolt.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:11 PM

Brandon,

When I put my Zuk in, I think it brought me 1.5" above stock, maybe more, I'll have to look back. Where is it that one should be looking carefully at the LVSV extension? Reason I ask is I might be doing a 14" spring, instead, IF I wind up with a dego from the BJ spacers and T-bar mini crank to get it even stuffs. Don't wanna tweak that thing... is there a recommendation? Or I just need to look at it during droop(?) ? Might even do a spring pack like you have, just gotta see if I might have more costs elsewhere in here, in the near future, first, ya know?

PS> I'll read back in here,...but could you just tell me what springs you did? lol.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:47 PM

Chef I don't know who made the springs, but everything with this pack is telling me they are stock with a 2" long as opposed to an add-a-leaf, the the shackles are 6" shackles.

Shackles seem to be from my research NWOR shackles. But I don't know that for a fact. I had a thread on here when I bought the springs asking for people to try to identify them and went nowhere.

Wether or not you like it, if you lift the rear, your gonna have to tweak that LSPV. That bracket is extremely simple.

I got to see again, that 3" I am getting has also something to do with the tires as well. So I might just make the bracket 2" instead of my initial 2.5" thought. You don't have to touch the rest of the system just move the bracket.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 03-24-2011 at 02:48 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:19 PM

Thanks, makes sense. I was just out there, looking. Seems I'm JUST going to be ok, if I leave it where it is. In honestly, I still might do leaf pack, etc., ..but I don't think I need to go higher than it is now. I guess that depends on the leaf pack one chooses, eh? lol.

OH, and I got my AC stuff all in now. Just waiting for the neighbor to have time to do his professional vacuum thingymadoer...... I can't use a mighty vac for this test, can i? hahaha. Hope it's sealed now, grrr! lol.

Inspection is soon, right?
Old 03-24-2011, 03:25 PM

yup, might try tomorrow, will probably have to wait till Monday knowing this guy though.

I just duck taped the rocker panel holes and rattle canned it for now.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:35 PM

Hahahaha... now that's a quick fix, homie! rofl!

Well, knowing him, eh? He flaky? lol.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:44 PM

Na I just think he's lazy. lol. But I don't care as long as my truck walks outta there with a sticker. COsts us $30 to get the car inspected at another place and that is with out emmissions sticker, which the couny it is registered in doesn't need, but it's there. I pay this guy $65 for it and no emissions sticker. We don't get smogged and just have to get a stupid gas cap seal test. But Visual emissions check is mandatory for the standard safety sticker in which technically, my truck fails because of the weber carb disabling the EGR. ANd the fact I have no cat doesn't help either.

I am more worried about the height right now because of the flatbed.

Take a tape measure out to your truck and use this as a reference, the bottom edge of my flatbed frame sits at 36" and the bed floor sits at 41".
Old 03-29-2011, 01:07 PM

snag on inspection. gonna need to put a cat on this thing. $68 I didn't really plan on spending and gonna have to put me on hold for inspection for at least a week or so till I get more funds. Probably just gonna go with the magnaflow 53005. No money to have it welded so hopefully my trusted clamps and exhaust leak goop works out.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:01 PM

Don't laugh at me for asking, lol....but could you just snag one for 5$ from a yard and slap it in there?(I mean ONLY if you're just putting something in for inspection and then YOINK, back out it comes type deal, of course).. Just curious, and sorry bout the "snag", man,...that bites!
Old 03-29-2011, 04:10 PM

na y whole exhaust is pretty much welded from the header back. I do have it cut in one section with a coupling to make it easier to remove the header if need be. I am hoping the converter fits into that spot and slip it on. If not I will have to make 2 instead of 1 cut. But no bolts or flanges to work with so a JY pull isn't gonna help me.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:30 PM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Don't laugh at me for asking, lol....but could you just snag one for 5$ from a yard and slap it in there?(I mean ONLY if you're just putting something in for inspection and then YOINK, back out it comes type deal, of course).. Just curious, and sorry bout the "snag", man,...that bites!
x2. Any of the many part out threads should have a cat for sale. I just picked one up from a local buddy the other day. Sorry to hear about the snag.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:55 PM

$68 at adv auto for a 53005 Magnaflow standard cat. Should be here early tomorrow. For now I an just gonna slip it on and seal/clamp it. Hopefully it fits where I need it to fit and doesn't hang too low.

With the way my luck is, I am expecting this thing to glow as soon as I get the engine warmed up. lol.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:24 PM

Magnaflow #53005 Cat installed, Very little leaks, nothing my leak goop in a tube can't fix. Gonna have to get another clamp though, for some reason thread stripped kinda early. But it's mostly sealed. Don't want to weld it on as to make the rest of the system a little easier to remove it need be. Cat is smaller than I thought it was gonna be, but for now it sounds good. Quite a bit quieter and very little drone now from the muffler inside the cab. And almost non existent popping when coming off throttle at a moderate RPM.

Video is for you Chef. Took a little bit of my tick etc etc as well not just the new sound of the exhaust.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbUU06ZEKmo

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 03-30-2011 at 02:38 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:29 PM

Sweet, looks good man! WOOT! lol. I'll check back in, soon! Hope you get that sticker asap, bud!
Old 03-31-2011, 05:47 AM

what an arse, now the guy is changing his story, oh I go in there this morning, tell the guy it's got a ct on it now, and he tells me oh you didn't have to put a cat on it. I was like oh here we go. I tell him you said you didn't want to inspect it because of all the recent problems you have had there and now your saying you still don't want to inspect it. I told him then why didn't you say you didn't want to on Friday when I brought it. He goes I did, I said no you didn't, you told me to bring it by on Monday (in which I did) and you said you were busy, but would try to get it through. Then you told me tuesday, you didn't want to inspect it because it didn't have the cat on it. He said don't put words in my mouth, I said I didn't, it's no wonder why you have problems. You tell people your gonna do something and then find every excuse under the sun why you can't. He goes, I don't why out of all the inspection places around that people have to cram stuff down my throat. I was like one your less then a block away from where I live and because you tell them to bring it in, then tell them you can't get to it for whatever reason after you kept the thing all day long not calling them telling them your not gonna get to it for them to make other arrangements. And then you piss them off.

Now this same guy a few years ago had a buddies car in his shop for repair. Put it in the garage and then went on vacation. Had the car in the shop for 3 or so months I forget. I gave him the benefit of the doubt as I had found this out after the first time I got it inspected there last year in worse shape then it is now.

Hew told me one of the problems he has had with the state recently was that he had his state inspection advert in front and they made him take it down, because he wasn't doing the inspections there that he was taking the cars down to another shop he has about 15 minutes away. I am thinking right now that's not the whole truth. The truth is he keeps turning people away or doing the same thing to them that he just did to me and not inspecting the cars that are brought to them because he is "swamped" with other stuff so the state feels he's not doing inspections and he should not advertise it.

He even went to the trouble on his sign outside saying "under new management" probably just to keep the city and state off his but making them think it's a different guy operating the place.

Quick Reply: xxxtreme22r's 1987 Pickup Build-Up Thread