86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

xxxtreme22r's 1987 Pickup Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 06:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok, glad you fixed that up. if they are sitting at what the passenger side is in those pics, you should be fine, dont need to spend money on an angle finder. but the truck looks sick with those 33s xxtreme!
Old 03-20-2011, 06:51 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
I think I got it fixed, never went back to look to see if that shackle on the driver side went negative. Don't know much about shackle angles, but I know generally that isn't good. haha.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:51 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Last edited by Bojangles; 03-20-2011 at 06:56 AM. Reason: Cause im a moron.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
Lets try this again....

I spyyyy with my littlee eyeeee.....A MUD GRIP!

Haha everything is lookin good!
I plan to swap out my old springs sooner or later.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:56 AM

lol bo, those would be Jerry's tires on his 92.

on a side note with your flex issues, make sure your shackles are moving freely. If your upper mount in the shackles are anything like mine was it could be preventing the springs from flattening out as they should when the tires tuck. Not to mention droop. Not gonna explain the front most likely but......
Old 03-20-2011, 07:01 AM

I get pretty decent flex from the rear. But none in the front haha.
Im thinking about adding a leaf and BJ spacers in the front. (All ready got the diff drop)
Or just putting all new leaf springs in.

But ill def check that out!
Old 03-20-2011, 09:14 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
what's the pros / cons of the torsion bar adjustment.....besides that you already have the bolts? versus bj spacers.

my vote would be for bj spacers because you will not be messing with those bars and any adjustment of them would be small ( i presume) once the spacers are on. my concern is that (as above) you probably should really do the diff drop thing too....and then there is the swaybar thing.... http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/DiffDrop.shtml and http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...ntSpacer.shtml

Last edited by 92 TOY; 03-20-2011 at 09:18 AM.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:47 AM

Torsion Adjust

major con: stiffness and resistance towards upwards flex.

minor con: Limit to droop as well since adjusting them puts you closer to that bumpstop. This can be somewhat resolved by putting low profile top bumpstops in. If your wondering there is no chance to break a CV doing this as they probably still won't droop as far as stock would with no adjustment to torsions and regular stops if that makes sense.

BJ Spacers

Cons: More of a major concern would be the increased chance of breaking CV's due to the extra travel given by them. Which is one reason for the diff drops.

I haven't gotten a chance to look to see if you have to mess with the torsions at all when installing the spacers or not. IIRC you don't have to mess with the adjustment bolts at all.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:54 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Can't wait to see you on the road, bud! Watching, ...and hoping for everything to pan out before inspection! Heck, even if it's that day! Long as you don't get any fines, etc. You got enough time you think, B?

PS> I have the Diff Drop and Sway Bar drop kit from 4crawler, ...it's going in, for sure, when I install the mega travel BJ's, lower Bj's, BJ spacers, shocks, CA bushings, etc. This way, I can adjust my torsion bars for OPTIMAL RIDE/FLEX! Plus, I'd rather have a lil angle on the D-shaft than the CV's.... Mine are SEEMINGLY pristine, very nice and soft boots, etc. Only problem is, ...I once had ADD for 120K! lol... So, yeah, that's some un-needed wear I can't get back, ya? (can't remember, ADD were 30% all the time?)
Old 03-20-2011, 10:06 AM

ok looking at 4crawlers site once again, no mention on having to touch the torsions unless you don't like the added height given by the spacers. SO I am on the fence with that since the torsions still might need to be adjusted whether it be up or down to match the rear.

Not worried about the hardware issues as I think all the BJ that are sold comes with new ones. But the way I am, I will want to replace the ball joints while I am in there adding to one of the cons right now with the spacers. Added Cost. Adjusting the torsions won't cost me nothing but time and feeling in my butt. But that feeling in the but would also be there with the added cost of the spacers anyway so.....
Old 03-20-2011, 10:56 AM

yeah< i hear ya...

I think I went with the spacers, diff and Sway drop and Mega Travel uppers and OEM lowers because, well, I want more articulation, along with the less bumpity in the bum by being able to leave the T-bars alone(I know, I'll have to adjust them, slightly, to even one side from the other)... But, since I did the Zuks, I'm Raked a bit(pretty much exactly 2")... so when I do the BJ spacers, OME shocks meant for 2" lift, maybe with .5" torque on the torsion bars(give or take a MM to even the two sides out), ...I should be perfectly level!

Aren't your new springs in the rear gonna getya up a lil? Is that why you're thinking, like with mine, you'll have some rake you just don't want?
Old 03-20-2011, 11:05 AM

heh new springs are in and photos of the rake are posted.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:10 AM

HOLY CRAPOLI, hahaha... so many people posted after those pics, I started on a new page and thought I was caught up! ... OOOPS, sorry.

Yeah, I see what you mean. And, even that pic is at an angle, ...so I guess it's pretty steep. Hmmm, you might just have to torque them t-bars, wont ya? Dang, ...does it ride a lot better with those springs, B?
Old 03-20-2011, 11:19 AM

Hard to tell really, they seem alot softer then the old springs so far. I only drove home from Jerry's with them. Most of the roads were pretty smooth. Almost found myself searching for bumps lol. But due to traffic in town I couldn't really hit anything above 20mph like usual.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
Hard to tell really, they seem alot softer then the old springs so far. I only drove home from Jerry's with them. Most of the roads were pretty smooth. Almost found myself searching for bumps lol. But due to traffic in town I couldn't really hit anything above 20mph like usual.
OMGOSH, I HATE THAT! hahaha. It's like SO MANY issues we have, try to figure out, ...... just hit a wall, so we take it in... suddenly, it just GOES AWAY, ....until you drive out their driveway! lol.

How funny, .... "Hey, I got this new suspension, .....GOTTA FLOAT MYSELF OVER SOME WICKED BUMPS AND STUFF!.... wait, of course, it's Kansas Plains for MILES, now that I want to TEST THIS OUT!" hahaha.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:11 AM

I just went out and measured the height where I measured for this thread and between the tires, springs and shackles, I am sitting at 20.5" to the middle of the leaf spring hanger bolt. That's a total of 3" gain. Tires actually measure a tick under 32". I never got the chance to measure the 31's I had before. I have to get on level ground and measure the front before touching it to see how much I got just from the tires alone. Gonna assume about an inch.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 03-21-2011 at 09:12 AM.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:54 AM

PICS? hehe. Man, your rig is one of those that are my 'FAVS' OF YOTATECH! She's not PERFECT, not rust free, lifted 40 inches with a 10,000$ kit, ....just a great truck with tons of GRRRRR, and a resourceful DIY'r behind her! hahaha. So, you getting closer to "sall good" pertaining to inspection? Do they razz you over rake, etc.?
Old 03-21-2011, 10:00 AM

I don't think I will get hit on rake, however, I think I am gonna have to put that DIY bumper I made on just to pass the height requirement and the tires are out a little more on the rear, should be ok in the front.

Got fist sized holes in the rocker panel on the passenger side again so I'll have to take care of as well.

No pics well if I do they won't be good ones anyway, girlfriend went on vay kay for the week and took the good cam with her. lol.

Gonna try to take it in on Wed. for inspection, just in case I got to fix something the guy don't like. Brakes are a little over a year old but should be good. No cat, and emissions disabled, but I don't think the guy cares about that as I could have changed them after the inspection. lol. Of course this guy costs me a little more than usual, but he is picky on some things.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 03-21-2011 at 10:02 AM.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:05 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
So you have a week of vaca as well!!!
Old 03-21-2011, 10:09 AM

On the tires, ..... I know you have a flat bed, but can you do some kind of skirt to provide cover that would satisfy them? Maybe something more squared off so it doesn't look, ..."errrrrrrr", lol. ? Hey, btw, she's on Vay Kay? HMMMMMMMMMMMM, me thinks it's time to hit "ENTER" key in 4crawler site! hahaha. jk, ... PLEASE DON'T HURT ME MRS. B! lol.

Quick Reply: xxxtreme22r's 1987 Pickup Build-Up Thread