86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ToyoTech559's 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 06:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Awesome pics!!
Old 10-14-2013, 09:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Albert's skid plate was on my 4 Runner before the drop bracket lift. It wasn't a Downey product it is NWOR (North West off Road) It is 3/16" aluminum. Is the Downey one you are showing steel? How thick?
Old 10-15-2013, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Great rack! And great shots on the mountain!
thanks, trying to get more scenic pictures lol

Originally Posted by kornhuskerwizard
Awesome pics!!
thank you

Originally Posted by BlazeN8
Albert's skid plate was on my 4 Runner before the drop bracket lift. It wasn't a Downey product it is NWOR (North West off Road) It is 3/16" aluminum. Is the Downey one you are showing steel? How thick?
ahh, he told me it was from Downey. I kinda wish mine was aluminum as well but will see how the steel works out. it should be stronger but i tend to bash rocks with mine and aluminum wont rust lol. i hate having to do touch up paint. my sliders still have battle scars and surface rust haha

its 1/4 steel and its really nice skid. really strong for sure
Old 10-15-2013, 06:24 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm not sure what color you plan to paint it, but since you're going with that somewhat grey metallic, its stainless? Anyway, grab a can of the hammered black, and once in awhile, shake the can up and slap someone with a little bass brush... Its wrinkling chemical and that eliminating most of the brush marks anyway, and it was up looking pretty clean. I like the temple look, if you don't then its not for you. Just a thought, as it makes it a lot easier than typing everything off and so forth. That stuff is insanely hard and it requires no primer
Old 10-15-2013, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
I'm not sure what color you plan to paint it, but since you're going with that somewhat grey metallic, its stainless? Anyway, grab a can of the hammered black, and once in awhile, shake the can up and slap someone with a little bass brush... Its wrinkling chemical and that eliminating most of the brush marks anyway, and it was up looking pretty clean. I like the temple look, if you don't then its not for you. Just a thought, as it makes it a lot easier than typing everything off and so forth. That stuff is insanely hard and it requires no primer
but i would have to do it after every trip lol. my armor almost always gets battle scars after each trip because i screw around and play on rocks i shouldnt be on or get in places i never been and use my sliders to slide thru a tight spot with rocks on both sides haha like i did on that last trip.. whoops
Old 10-15-2013, 06:33 PM

Well there you go, even better. It is a very similar color to your wheels. I think it would look kind of cool to have that hammered look on your skid.... Obviously it's your skid plate, so paint away however you see fit! Lol.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:35 PM

well the skid plate is already powder coated silver he said in ad but its more gray which i like anyways. the hammer black is too dark. i have used it before on my 82 knuckles and it came out nice. i like the look of it but the color is wrong
Old 10-20-2013, 10:21 AM

so its been like 10k miles since i had my transmission fluid changed. figure 10k isnt much and i check the dip stick for color condition, still a dark red but not black. i noticed on my last trip up to the mountains that it seem like it rev a little higher than normal when in 4low. like the rev went up higher before the vehicle would move (no slipping) than on the drive home, the last road i was on was about 50 mph and i noticed it slipped in and out of OD twice very fast and quick that you really didnt feel it, i just happen to be looking at my RPM at time.

got back home and checked fluids which again dark red (ok ish lol) i was already set on saying the transmission needs a rebuild. spent a few days looking for a shop that i trust to do it or a reman tranny with little luck. i was already pricing out parts for a rebuild so i would just do it myself (1st time) ekk.

before all that i figure i should just do a transmission fluid change before i do condemn the transmission. only reason i didnt want to do a fluid change was because my last trip to pismo, i did over work the transmission lol. lots of high revs. so i do the fluid change and seems like it is much better now. hopefully that was all it needed. i have only overheated the transmission twice with the old fluid, once trying to drive up a steep hill while under geared and again at pismo (last trip) guess the fluid was just all burnt.

before and after. looks alot blacker when you look at a larger sample compared to the dip stick check. much better now and will be changing it out every 5k-10k since my type of driving isnt typical. the runner only sees the trails and only driven on the road to get there. not DD so its basically a steel legal trail rig. now im ready for some snow wheeling, just need the snow.

Old 10-20-2013, 10:30 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Check, adjust, replace TPS B4 blaming the tranny.
Old 10-20-2013, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by maco35
Check, adjust, replace TPS B4 blaming the tranny.
thanks it has already been checked and adjust within 2000 miles ago. guess the TPS could be going out but ill keep an eye on it if it happens again. t stat has been replaced within 12000 miles ago

only thing left other than tranny would be the ECT sensor which is still the original one

even if its not the tranny, i would love to have this lol
http://www.importperformancetrans.co...sion-4344.html

Last edited by ToyoTech559; 10-20-2013 at 03:56 PM.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:31 PM

if some of you guys dont know, i have been wanting a swing out ever since i got the rear bumper. the bumper was never built to have any swing out so it had to be added some how. im picky about who and how the work is done when im not doing the work. well when i got the bumper, it was made for a 3 inch body lift and lucky for me i found Billy @ Brute Force Fab to make it fit my 0 body lift. he did such an amazing job that i had to have him do my swing out fast forward to this morning, we i mean he went to work. it isnt done and will be tomorrow. it came out alot better than i expected. professional fabricator for sure who has done this before lol he mainly sells taco bumpers and they are sweet. hoping he does one for my tundra soon.

the spindles he uses are $100 each. the latches are like $80 each plus his custom adjustable tab *~$20 each
i had to get two of each since im doing duel swing out

i got to wear this sweet welding mask haha

the basket is made for my water container and without really checking to see if it would fit a jerry can or two, it does lol
he made it so i could use it for many different stuff since its a shelf, will have 4 hook tabs so i can strap just about anything to it that would fit

stay tune for tomorrow pictures with a surprise add on i wanted and havent seen anyone do yet

Last edited by ToyoTech559; 10-25-2013 at 08:44 PM.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:09 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Dayummmm!!!! that's bad ass!
Old 10-26-2013, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Grego92
Dayummmm!!!! that's bad ass!
dont even know how happy i am. its tough to find good fabricators and im very lucky to have one local to me.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:04 PM

all done, just need to finish painting them

there is one on each side. the are ramps for the pins, i dont need to even pull up on the pin at all. just open the latch and open till it stops. to close i can pull up and close or pull up and turn which will keep the pin up.

normally there is a plastic ball for the handle but over time they fade and crack. plus it was too big of a ball to install with how close the pin assembly is to the hinge. i prefer the all metal handle anyways.

removed for paint and can stay off if i never need it

i can use it with other stuff. will fit one blue water jug. two teal water jug, or one teal water jug and jerry can. i have plans to add a rota fuel pack behind the spare tire.

some stuff you may not see is that there is a tab behind the spare for a flag for pismo trips!
two tabs at the bottom of each arm for future LED lights

im actually painting them the same color as my wheels. a metallic charcoal but the bumper will still be black. hopefully they work out, otherwise i will have to repaint lol

Old 10-27-2013, 05:05 AM

Dude that looks great. Yea i seen in one pic you had the led light on the tab on the left side. Looks like hes a great fab/welder. Very nice pics. Hopefully it wont rattle.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by kornhuskerwizard
Dude that looks great. Yea i seen in one pic you had the led light on the tab on the left side. Looks like hes a great fab/welder. Very nice pics. Hopefully it wont rattle.

no way this thing is gonna rattle. he builds mainly taco bumpers front and rear plus sliders. the sweet adjustable tab for the latch he came up with will keep it tight for years to come.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:39 PM

got a little paint work. should be installing them in a few days. cant wait

Old 10-27-2013, 08:46 PM

Siiiiiiiick!
Old 10-27-2013, 09:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ooo nice Toyo. Welcome to the club. That guy did am awesome job. I like the idea of the latch fail safe thing. Just incase. That's what I did t do one of those on mine. Wish u would have. I still can. But yea. I'm liking it man.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:26 PM

Thanks guys. Should be install it tonight if not tomorrow.

Quick Reply: ToyoTech559's 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread