86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ToyoTech559's 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 08:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bis
i'd be interested in a pismo trip! kind of a noob though.
someone has been busy. looks sweet. are those the same rims you had when you 1st got it? if not. i would be interested in your old set of rims?
Old 10-08-2013, 09:30 PM
Bis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks. the one on my sas are different. the eagle alloys are on a daily driver taco. i've seen your truck with nolb trucks. been thinking about going to one of the bbqs, but there's always something else that comes up...
Old 10-09-2013, 06:59 AM

I dropped out from Nolb. I still go to some of the runs they do but other than that I mainly go solo or a few friends
Old 10-09-2013, 12:56 PM
Bis

cool. we should wheel together some time...
Old 10-09-2013, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Bis
cool. we should wheel together some time...
I'm headed up to bald this Saturday the 12th if you wanna join. There should be about 5-10 of us. Plan to meet at Prather shell gas station at 7am. Cb channel 10

Last edited by ToyoTech559; 10-09-2013 at 04:30 PM.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:44 PM
Bis

i'd love to but the rig isn't completed... maybe next run.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:20 PM

not a problem.

if you guys havent know i had my interior rear rack for a while but i never liked how i had to strap stuff down on top. i would just put stuff on the rack and use bungee cord to hold it down but it takes to long to unhook and rehook once done. i been thinking for a while of a better way and it just hit me.

strap bags down to the rack and than just put what i want inside the bag. quick and easy access and i never need to strap anything down.

my long gun bag has a molle system and it was exactly what i wanted to do. i been looking for a replacement rack that would fit my needs better. got really lucky and scored this sweet rack at a store closing. its really nice metal and has a sweet design too it. ill let the pictures show it.

of course i swapped over the angle reinforcement metal pieces lol dont know what they are really called

this is just a mock up to show you the MOLLE system. the bags i will be using are much bigger

bolted in already

these are the bags im using and kinda shows you what i keep in them. i have two more different bags on order that i will be adding to the rack. i can now add/change as needed. should be pretty sweet once i get a few extra bags ready to go for each trip.

Old 10-10-2013, 06:55 PM

Totally jealous. Sweet cargo set up!!!
Old 10-10-2013, 07:46 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
That's a cool rack you have so you can mount the MOLE system components. Was that expensive? I was looking a little online to make one for the rear of my cab but they were kinda expensive.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by kornhuskerwizard
Totally jealous. Sweet cargo set up!!!
Thanks I love it. It's really tacticool lol

Originally Posted by Grego92
That's a cool rack you have so you can mount the MOLE system components. Was that expensive? I was looking a little online to make one for the rear of my cab but they were kinda expensive.
The bags u used was around $33 each. Could be cheaper or more depending in brand. I prefer Condor brand and own many of their stuff

The rack I used is actually for hanging other shelves off of. I picked it up at a store closing sale for cheap haha. It looks just like those expensive ones they sell for tr FJC back door. By Springfield I think. Of course theirs have mounting options but I just drilled and add the slotted angle iron to it and bam it's ready to be bolted in

I actually picked up a few more of those racks but in smaller sizes for my tundra. I got lucky and they happen to just have one long one that fits perfect in my runner
Old 10-11-2013, 11:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow toyo. That is awesome. I want one of those now! I have the roof rack and really don't need it. But for things I'd like to get to for the days I camp out in my truck it would be nice to have something like that too. Awesome. U mentioned the bags were about $35. But how much was the actual rack with mounting equipment?
Old 10-11-2013, 11:18 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey bud,.... hope u and urs are well!

I see the rack, the thing is awesome... I do I have some other plans as far as cargo area, but I would like toilet least have all my options open and for certain trips, be able to use said alternate options. You said you got that a store on a clearance... I'm not sure if you were talking about like an expedition type store or Lowes or what. I've had a lot of problems finding certain types of racks or great systems that I can use for my roof rack. For now the rabbit fence works just fine, but I really would prefer to have something permanent and solid enough to handle the way. Obviously that thing is not meant to put a 35 inch tire on and so forth. But I'm just thinking maybe you have some ideas as to where to find heavy duty link grate, etc?

Thanks homie, and it's looking great. You and Ray, aka RAD4runner, are very set on the tactical and compartments style angle... I do alright in that arena, but tend to go 90 percent towards containers like Corey. But having the smaller ones like that all handy and ready to drop down in your hands... Very cool! I've been thinking about doing something a little tighter to the roof by using the bolts that are holding my Thule roof rack sidebars on.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Redeth005
Wow toyo. That is awesome. I want one of those now! I have the roof rack and really don't need it. But for things I'd like to get to for the days I camp out in my truck it would be nice to have something like that too. Awesome. U mentioned the bags were about $35. But how much was the actual rack with mounting equipment?

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Hey bud,.... hope u and urs are well!

I see the rack, the thing is awesome... I do I have some other plans as far as cargo area, but I would like toilet least have all my options open and for certain trips, be able to use said alternate options. You said you got that a store on a clearance... I'm not sure if you were talking about like an expedition type store or Lowes or what. I've had a lot of problems finding certain types of racks or great systems that I can use for my roof rack. For now the rabbit fence works just fine, but I really would prefer to have something permanent and solid enough to handle the way. Obviously that thing is not meant to put a 35 inch tire on and so forth. But I'm just thinking maybe you have some ideas as to where to find heavy duty link grate, etc?

Thanks homie, and it's looking great. You and Ray, aka RAD4runner, are very set on the tactical and compartments style angle... I do alright in that arena, but tend to go 90 percent towards containers like Corey. But having the smaller ones like that all handy and ready to drop down in your hands... Very cool! I've been thinking about doing something a little tighter to the roof by using the bolts that are holding my Thule roof rack sidebars on.
there was a store closing and these racks belonged to the store since it was used to display DVDs they sold. the metal rack i got acually sits vertical and they just slip and hung horizontal shelves on it. i asked if i could just buy that part and they had extras in the back that wasnt put out front to sell yet. i scored a few of them for future projects. they where all in difference sizes.

didnt cost much to do since i had an old rack back there for a while now using the wire type shelves you find in closest and what not. i just unbolted the old one and made the new one bolt right back into it

let see if i remember what i used. 4 u bolts, two hinges, two little shocks from my honda accord trunk, nuts and bolts, and a few slotted angle iron to make a frame around the rack and help stiffen it up a bit. it also allow me to bolt the hinges and shocks to. the idea if i ever need to, i could pull down the rack for better access but the shocks are pretty strong and i really cant hold it down with one hand lol. anyways ill try to get better pictures of how its installed if you wanna do one.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:29 PM

i been meaning to get a real front skid plate and bud built is way to expensive for metal that has been laser cut and CNC bent. i saw Alberts truck at pismo and he had a sweet skid plated. told me it was by downey which he no longer makes them. i jumped online and did a search to see if anyone else makes something i like. found one off ebay and from my research of the seller, he is the owner of downey before it went out of business. it looks just like Alberts but he cut the vents out differently which i prefer anyways. just a little over $200 shipped and this thing is SWEET.
i did have to cut a small area off since i have an ARB bumper and its not the sellers fault since the two bolts in the way are not normally there lol
it comes painted or powder coated silver/gray. it just about matches my rims colors. i love it already lol

Old 10-12-2013, 04:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dang that is awesome toyo so u made that inside rack yourself just with creativity and spare parts to the other car lol cool. I'll take a look at some more pix when you upload them. I like the idea.

Hey that skid plate looks hella beefy! And even better that it's the same guy from downey off road. You did business with a legend. Lol I think it gives your truck a better look. Its amazing what changibg out one thing can do for looks. I think you're gonna put that baby to work when you hit up some big bear trails.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:37 AM
Bis

looks nice.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:36 AM

Very cool! Jim is a great dude to chat with. the owner of Downey of course... Tojo man, I know what you're talking about. I'm surprised he still has those, or maybe he is still making them? I didn't think he was still producing product... There's lotsa stuff that guy made that you might be interested in buddy. Gnarly links and ends and so forth plus tons of stuff for motors and so on. I went right to his house and got that push bar, mega travel ball joints, a couple of things...

Great work.....

Any news on Pismo? I might not be able to go anyway,
but curious if its even an option.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 10-12-2013 at 09:37 AM.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:32 PM

thanks guys. one more thing knocked off the list and glad the plate is to my liking
dont think im gonna make it to pismo unless i do a last minute thing and go because lol

for those that might be interested in how the rack is all bolted up

Old 10-14-2013, 04:38 PM

a few guys wanted to hit the trails and i try not to pass them up. got to discover one of many different ways to get to the top lol. one can get lost

was hoping to see more snow lol

a little chilly at the top

Old 10-14-2013, 05:28 PM

Great rack! And great shots on the mountain!

Quick Reply: ToyoTech559's 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread