86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ToyoTech559's 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks a TON! I missed the dif drop somehow and the whole thing makes more sense now. Not that I know exactly what that entails (yet), but it clears up some of the confusion I was having.

The mechanic that looked the truck over for me is a great guy that worked on most of my late model cars (I play around with older street rods and hate newer cars and all the BS that goes with them here in CA). He's always been really good to me and my family and I think was just looking out for me since he knows I want to wrench this one and how much I hate things like sensors and vacuum lines. I think that's why he was suggesting I look at the slight body lift. If it's more complicated than an LS EROD, I'm basically against it for moral reasons.

I will give the Blaze guy(s?) a call here soon (N8?) and see what I need to get started and make sure I have everything else in order but I have been trying to make sure I knew enough about what I would be asking about before I did that. You and a bunch of other people here have been such a huge help. It's really appreciated.

It's funny, we seem to be a lot alike in our tastes. My daily driver is a 2 door accord and I bought my runner with the express idea of camping and towing a trailer for either dirt bikes, quads or some combination of the two. Only difference is I planned to play on the beaches and desert instead of the beaches and mountains. The other thing that cracked me up is that I'm seriously considering an S2000 project car (salvage title due to theft) for an LS swap instead of/for my next street rod project. The only thing holding me back is the CARB dance and the lack of knowledge of the newer suspensions. I'm about to start my crash course in welding here soon.

I'll go try to learn about dif drops now! Seriously thanks for the help.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
diff drop kit is really easy. its just two 1 inch spacers you install to the rear two mounting spots for the diff. this will drop the diff an inch.

i know what you mean about newer cars. i still wouldnt mind building a 5th gen 4 runner lol but right now im trying to find a 1st tundra 4x4 to build into a sweet tow/camping rig. i already got a few plans/mods with a fabricator but no truck yet lol.

thats pretty good. i love honda accords. they are such great vehicles. i have only experiences with 5th gen accords. after my coupe was stolen i wasnt gonna get anything but somehow i ended up with a 5th gen accord wagon lol. guess i was getting older and wanted a little more room. it was perfect till i wanted a 1st gen tundra. my dad wanted my wagon so i traded him for his 2wd tundra which im trying to replace for a 4wd version if i can find one i like.

i got the s2000 early on before i knew anything about 4x4s. i have since sold that because i just dont drive it. i got it new in 2006 and only had 23xxx miles before i sold it this year. the s2000 was such a sweet ride. im gonna miss it for sure. lucky for me i still have my 08 CBR600RR. nothing beats being on two wheels. i have been trying to get into dirt bikes but a quad is so much easier lol

how can anyone not get into off road toys living with in hours of the hills, beaches, and deserts. i would like to do some desert trips/camps but man do i hate the HEAT. summer time i head for the hills or pismo to cool off. winter time i head for the hills for awesome snow wheeling.

i have seen a few LS s2000 builds. the LS motor is a beast of an engine. i have driven a z06 and man did that thing have torque lol

Nate/ owner for Blazeland is a great guy to talk to. i meet him in person after i had my kit at a pismo trip once. give him a call if you havent. he can answer any questions about his kit better but again im always here if you need help/info
Old 06-03-2013, 07:58 PM

a little video my buddy made off his gopro. cool video but if anyone just wants to see a little of my runner.
im at 3:30 mark. no need for a SA unless you want all 4 wheels on the ground but that is no fun lol the Elocker help me cruise right thru
im also at 6:30 mark. what you dont see is just the right side of that area, it drops off and was pretty scary lol i never been thru that area and was worried but i made it haha.
im also at the end which is an old trip and the battery ran out to catch the underside of the LT working.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice video Toyo. GoPro camera's always make me feel queezy from all the moving around. But i sat and watched the whole thing though. Nice vid. I like the guitar solo at around 3:30ish. And Dude i just realized your truck had dents on the passenger side at 8:50 i always thought you had a perfect body!
Old 06-04-2013, 02:32 AM

The vid is awesome man. That white pick up is a beast and your runner seems to do just fine as well!

I'm right with ya, Bakersfield is a lot like Fresno in that we're we're 90-120 minutes from snow, surf, desert and Sierras. How so many folks don't get out is beyond me but to each their own. I don't ride horses and it's a big thing here as well with lots of trails and I've never really four wheeled (mostly dirt bikes) so I can't get onto people too much as I did my own thing. I grew up surfing and back packing mostly.

I plan to give Nate and 4Crawler a call within a few weeks here and get my front end started. I'm working my way through my engine and transfer case first. I'm going to tell him your truck pretty much sold me on the set up.

Last edited by diableri; 06-04-2013 at 02:34 AM.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:28 AM

Aw man nice build, I think we spoke a few times on expo maybe, about the BL suspension.
This build is making already miss my soon to be sold 89 4runner w/ BL suspension.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Redeth005
Nice video Toyo. GoPro camera's always make me feel queezy from all the moving around. But i sat and watched the whole thing though. Nice vid. I like the guitar solo at around 3:30ish. And Dude i just realized your truck had dents on the passenger side at 8:50 i always thought you had a perfect body!
The guy doing the go pro is a pretty goid at using it. The dents are from way before I even been on the trail. My dad did it when he owned it. I try my best to only post pix of the good side lol

Originally Posted by diableri
The vid is awesome man. That white pick up is a beast and your runner seems to do just fine as well!

I'm right with ya, Bakersfield is a lot like Fresno in that we're we're 90-120 minutes from snow, surf, desert and Sierras. How so many folks don't get out is beyond me but to each their own. I don't ride horses and it's a big thing here as well with lots of trails and I've never really four wheeled (mostly dirt bikes) so I can't get onto people too much as I did my own thing. I grew up surfing and back packing mostly.

I plan to give Nate and 4Crawler a call within a few weeks here and get my front end started. I'm working my way through my engine and transfer case first. I'm going to tell him your truck pretty much sold me on the set up.
I'm still trying to catch up to you. I just just got into this whole dirt/rock/sand stuff a little over two years ago. I been missing out lol. Spent to much time playing on the streets with lowered cars was a waste IMO lol

Nate should remember me lol.

Originally Posted by jred151
Aw man nice build, I think we spoke a few times on expo maybe, about the BL suspension.
This build is making already miss my soon to be sold 89 4runner w/ BL suspension.
Yea I have been following your build. Too bad your slog it. It sure is unique with the flip top
Old 06-05-2013, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by ToyoTech559
The guy doing the go pro is a pretty goid at using it. The dents are from way before I even been on the trail. My dad did it when he owned it. I try my best to only post pix of the good side lol
Dont we all Lol
I usually try to use the suns reflection/glare to cover up those dents on my hood. haha! Not always easy to work. but when you get the weather on your side the pix come out looking clean.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:58 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
I have seen a lot worse than yours Richard... Old Kingsford is looking pretty stout! I look forward to all of us getting up 2a meeting with Toyo and the others at Pismo! Heck, maybe even some wheeling in that beautiful country and wilderness that he is been sharing as well.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:57 AM

Heck yea. I wanna hit up big bear with you guys

My runner won't see pismo for a long time. I only go to pismo with my quad and my tundra is much better for that drive.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by ToyoTech559
Heck yea. I wanna hit up big bear with you guys

My runner won't see pismo for a long time. I only go to pismo with my quad and my tundra is much better for that drive.
Big bear would be nice. I was supposed to go this weekend. But now with that metal shard I found after draining the diff fluid. I don't think i should go till I have it looked at and taken care of.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:23 PM

Seriously think we outta make a big bear run with a bunch of us SoCal Yotatech guys and maybe a few of our normal crew; After Mark finishes his SAS/ lift of course. That should make for a sweet trip. Especialy if it is a full weekend trip ya know.

Last edited by Redeth005; 06-05-2013 at 03:32 PM.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd be in for a Big Bear Run!
Old 06-05-2013, 04:16 PM

I wouldn't mind gettin a trip set up but I've only been up there once. And that was 7 years ago. Someone else would need to lead that trip with more Big Bear experience lol
Old 06-05-2013, 06:11 PM

i never been but Blake which is a member on yotatech has been there. he moved down to san deigo but he might be down for a trip. i would need atleast a months notice and i have trips and stuff planned already this month and next but its not every weekend so i do have free weekends
Old 06-06-2013, 01:48 PM

sounds good. I gotta get that rear 3rd member thing looked at anyway so that'll give me some time to kill.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:55 PM

When I love to BC I plan on doing some America trips. I'd love to join in on a run with you guys.

It's only 1.5 to 2 days drive down there.

Last edited by Red Wagon; 06-06-2013 at 02:02 PM.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:04 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Redeth005

Big bear would be nice. I was supposed to go this weekend. But now with that metal shard I found after draining the diff fluid. I don't think i should go till I have it looked at and taken care of.
DO NOT compromise even for "just one lil trip".... Honestly? Don't even drive it, IMHO. I'M SURE thats the plan,..and I'm sorry, man, ....I know u wanna get up there.... but just think,.... its actually a sucky thing to find that....but a GREAT thing you found it now, very possibly! A trip like that those thirds are gonna get Hotttt! ... What will likely be an easy fix could have been pretty much SUPER sucky! Lol. ...

All this talk of Big Bear us causing me to break out in proverbial hives of anticipation! Haha
Old 06-06-2013, 05:47 PM

Sweet more people the better. Don't worry chef. We will wait for you. I know I will lol. I seem what you can cook up lol
Old 06-06-2013, 11:22 PM

Man, so jealous. I want to get out on some trails.

Get lots of pics so I can see and show the missus your scenic wheeling spots.

Last edited by Red Wagon; 06-06-2013 at 11:23 PM.

Quick Reply: ToyoTech559's 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread